Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Aliens and the beginning of time

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
There was a documentary on C4 (I think it was called Life After People) some years ago that asked the question about how long evidence of our current civilization would be detectable. As I recall, I think the last traces would be things along the lines of Mount Rushmore. What was surprising would be how quickly things would get buried and decay. Most cities would be unrecognizable in just 1000 years, just a few piles of rubble buried in jungle.

I think our age will at least be recognisable in the geological record by the plastics, pollution and particularly radiation we've added to the environment. These will be recorded in new rock laid down.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
I think our age will at least be recognisable in the geological record by the plastics, pollution and particularly radiation we've added to the environment. These will be recorded in new rock laid down.

Quite, which in my view makes any prior technological civilization on Earth unlikely, as there is no evidence. One of things I remember most about the programme was the speculation around what future archaeologists would make of out of town shopping malls. Would they think them to be sites of religious significance etc.

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
Despite all of the thousands of reported sightings of UFO's and Aliens,there doesn't seem to be any real substantial proof.Most video's/photo's seem always to be taken from a distance.Why is there never anyone under a UFO. Why has no-one ever taken a photo of a UFO or Alien they say they have been close up to.

Reported sightings from pilots of objects which move at a fantastic speed or move around in an unusal way always seem to come to nothing.

With every device we have to record or detect we still have nothing.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Quite, which in my view makes any prior technological civilization on Earth unlikely, as there is no evidence. One of things I remember most about the programme was the speculation around what future archaeologists would make of out of town shopping malls. Would they think them to be sites of religious significance etc.

Perhaps - but I don't think any prior civilisation was able to span the entire planet as we do now, if only because the number of humans on the planet was substantially fewer than we see today. The 'trace' evidence would not be there, or at least only in a very small area... unless of course there was an un-recorded population spike in ancient antiquity that was cut short somehow.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
The Voyager space probes could be around virtually for ever.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
That's the thing.It's one thing for there to be Aliens and another for them to be in reachable distance of earth.
If the Universe contains billions upon billions of planets most of which are billions of miles away from us then it
would take an incredible coincidence for one of those to both contain life and be close to us.
That planet that may be billions of years old like ours would have to contain intelligent life at the same time as us.
What are the chances of that happening at the same time and them being advanced enough to build space machines
capable of reaching earth.Also how would they even know there is life on Earth.

Is the right answer.....................I think. It would take a phenomenally statically unlikely coincidence combined with some spectacular technology and will for two intelligent species to ever have the opportunity to interact.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The Voyager space probes could be around virtually for ever.

They could, but would a latter civilisation know to look for them.? Perhaps they'd come back as an envoy for some far off planet of living machines.... perplexed by the carbon units that infest Earth.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Is the right answer.....................I think. It would take a phenomenally statically unlikely coincidence combined with some spectacular technology and will for two intelligent species to ever have the opportunity to interact.
So how do you explain Star Trek? Captain Kirk discovered so many new life forms they retired him.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Paradoxically, I think it is more likely that one day, if we survive and thrive as a species for long enough (big if), that we'll be able to interact in some way with different versions of ourselves via the multiverse rather than any alien species potentially co-existing somewhere at the same time as us in this version.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
They could, but would a latter civilisation know to look for them.? Perhaps they'd come back as an envoy for some far off planet of living machines.... perplexed by the carbon units that infest Earth.
I've seen that film. Star Trek.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Paradoxically, I think it is more likely that one day, if we survive and thrive as a species for long enough (big if), that we'll be able to interact in some way with different versions of ourselves via the multiverse rather than any alien species potentially co-existing somewhere at the same time as us in this version.
Thomas Leary was a big advocate of this. He reckoned the human race would make the biggest advances not by looking to the stars but looking inward and exploring our consciousness with the help of lots of drugs.

He's got a point. We went to the moon and it gave us Teflon coated frying pans. Loads of musicians took drugs and that gave us dance music and Withnail and I.

1 nil to chemically induced introspection.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Thomas Leary was a big advocate of this. He reckoned the human race would make the biggest advances not by looking to the stars but looking inward and exploring our consciousness with the help of lots of drugs.

He's got a point. We went to the moon and it gave us Teflon coated frying pans. Loads of musicians took drugs and that gave us dance music and Withnail and I.

Indeed, and very well put may I say.

Disclaimer - 'just say no' kids

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

Did you mean Timothy Leary?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.......while dancing next to a giant hay bale in a field."

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Combining the two subjects of drugs and aliens nicely, a past clubbing acquaintance of mine once tried to convince me that the fact that he woke up one morning with a sore bottom and no memory of what happened over the preceding 8 hours or so was down to his being abducted and probed by aliens. I think we can all think of a much more plausible explanation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here