Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever seen a dead body ?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Only once as I recall on the Seagulls Special to Wrexham in the 70s. Train was held up for some while until it stared moving again and loads of people got up to look out the right hand window. I stayed put and deliberately looked the other way only to see the remains of someone who had jumped in front of the train. Sad day for this, not so the fact that we missed the first half, only drew 0-0, train stoned by fans leaving Wrexham, loads of windows popped out of the train near Rugby, diesel engine broke down and required another to be sent up from London. A late night - I think we got home around two in the morning. Unfortunately the suicide victim never got home at all. RIP. Dealing with death is tough - perhaps it's only any good when is stops any suffering.

Last edited:

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
No I haven't and I'm nearly 50 years old. Without wishing any ill to anyone I would rather that the first one that I see is not a loved one

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Only once as I recall on the Seagulls Special to Wrexham in the 70s. Train was held up for some while until it stared moving again and loads of people got up to look out the right hand window. I stayed put and deliberately looked the other way only to see the remains of someone who had jumped in front of the train. Sad day for this, not so the fact that we missed the first half, only drew 0-0, train stoned by fans leaving Wrexham, loads of windows popped out of the train near rugby, diesel engine broke down and required another to be sent up from London. A late night - I think we got home around two in the morning. Unfortunately the suicide victim never got home at all. RIP. Dealing with death is tough - perhaps it's only sny good when is stops any suffering.

I was on that.

Didn't Peter Adamson the actor who played Len Fairclough in Corrie walk round the pitch waving to the fans.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Yes my first ever Job as a Stonemason had an Undertakers as part of it . By the Mid 90's i worked for a Drainage Company,whilst entering a Manhole on the outskirts of Durham i came face to face with a decayed skeleton.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
My mum died in my arms at home ten weeks ago, the day after having results from a scan that confirmed her cancer had returned and was terminal.

Her final day was a bad one and saw her bed-bound for the first time due to her symptoms, but I had no idea of what was coming. It was the night we played Rotherham and due to the way the day had gone with mum it was the first Albion game I'd not managed to follow via Player/TV/stream in the eight years I'd been in Rutland since I left Brighton to care for mum.

As the game was nearing the end I left mum briefly to go into my room to check on the score when I suddenly heard loud rapid gasping for air coming from my mum's room. I called a nurse who told me it sounded like there had been a "serious bodily change" and to prepare myself that this was going to be the end. A couple of nurses then came round and periodically kept telling me "it shouldn't be long now", yet she continued gasping for air until 4.35 am, a full 7 hours later. Though her eyes were open she never managed to communicate with me throughout the ordeal.

After she had died and the nurses had left and the doctor had visited I went to bed for an hour before the undertaker was due as I had obviously been up all night and was shattered. Without doubt the most surreal experience of my life was waking from my limited slumber knowing that my mum was lying dead in her room.

What is probably hardest of all is rattling round in the house where she died.

I miss her terribly.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
This is a very sad thread. And credit particularly to the op who acted in a humane and heroic manner doing all that could be done.

Ironically I saw my first dead body when I was visiting cousins in Shrewsbury to watch the Albion. I was only around twenty. I walked with my dad, brother and uncle to the match, and on one of the bridges, can't remember if it was the Welsh or English bridge, a young Shrewsbury fan had been run over. His dad and brother were stood in shock over his lifeless body at the side of the road. I can't remember much more other than the fact that we won that day didn't seem to matter. I have often felt sad for that family as their life had been irredeemably ruined that day.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
My mum died in my arms at home ten weeks ago, the day after having results from a scan that confirmed her cancer had returned and was terminal.

Her final day was a bad one and saw her bed-bound for the first time due to her symptoms, but I had no idea of what was coming. It was the night we played Rotherham and due to the way the day had gone with mum it was the first Albion game I'd not managed to follow via Player/TV/stream in the eight years I'd been in Rutland since I left Brighton to care for mum.

As the game was nearing the end I left mum briefly to go into my room to check on the score when I suddenly heard loud rapid gasping for air coming from my mum's room. I called a nurse who told me it sounded like there had been a "serious bodily change" and to prepare myself that this was going to be the end. A couple of nurses then came round and periodically kept telling me "it shouldn't be long now", yet she continued gasping for air until 4.35 am, a full 7 hours later. Though her eyes were open she never managed to communicate with me throughout the ordeal.

After she had died and the nurses had left and the doctor had visited I went to bed for an hour before the undertaker was due as I had obviously been up all night and was shattered. Without doubt the most surreal experience of my life was waking from my limited slumber knowing that my mum was lying dead in her room.

I miss her terribly.

Very sorry to hear this sad account of events. It probably doesn't help but she is not suffering any more

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Very sorry to hear this sad account of events. It probably doesn't help but she is not suffering any more

Thanks. I take comfort in that.

I was amazed when it came to watching her die how matter of fact I was in how I dealt with it. My mum was my world and an incredible lady, but through it all I never shed a tear. Needless to say I have since mind you.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
I'm on holiday in the canaries currently and unfortunately day 1 I had to drag an unconscious man out of the sea. As soon as we turned him over to start cpr I could see obvious signs it wasn't going to be a good outcome. To the best efforts of all around after 30 minutes cpr he was declared dead on the beach. His poor wife just wailing uncontrollably as you would expect.

It's been playing on my mind and I'm having trouble sleeeping but the sight I saw was one I will never forget. It also made me realise that at aged 40 I had yet to see a dead body. Is this normal do you think ?

Apologies for the depressing thread but it might help me a little to express what I'm thinking and deal with it ....

Thanks
Sorry to hear about your experience mate. You clearly did all you could so take some comfort from that. It is probably the last situation any of us would expect to find ourselves confronted with, especially on holiday. Talk plenty though and maybe seek some counselling when you get home if it is still having that effect on you. Take care and try to enjoy your holiday.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

I miss her terribly.

You never forget but time is a healer. All the best.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Dozens if not hundreds over the last 25 years. One of the downsides of being ex-military and my current job.

Pretty much (to the word!) what I was going to write. Now, I deal with "old death" in End of Life care; more than thirty years back it was "young death" in a Military Hospital. Now, it seems like a natural part of life; then, it was a bit harder to take as the young men (and women) involved often died as a result of violent conflict. Doing " last offices" (preparing a body after death) is for me a great privilege and it is the very last thing I can do for someone whom I may have known in a care environment for a very long time. But the faces of the ten young men and one young woman whom I saw die over a seven-year period in the Army never leave me. I think I grieve for their un-realised potential.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Friend of mine works for a Coroner's Office. His duty is to attend scenes of deaths that require investigation (suicides, accidents, disasters). He tells me that he has seen everything imaginable. I asked him what he found most upsetting about it all. He explained that seeing the heartbreak of relatives was difficult for once you have seen a gruesome scene a few times the shock effect gets lesser and lesser. He told me that the saddest scenes are often ones of suicide by hanging. This is because there is often evidence of a change of mind on the victim's behalf (scratch marks on furniture, rope damage etc). Unfortunately they fall unconscious and it's too late.

I wanted to mention that because if anyone does have suicidal thoughts at anytime they should try and realise that a lot of folk who go through with it regret it at the final gasp of life. Folk musn't be afraid to seek help.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast

I agree. I saw my Mum in a hospice twice before she died, the last thing she did as I and Dad left was to do a "Thumbs-up" to us. Next morning at 7.30 there was a knock on the door of our flat. A very nervous young copper stood there and told us she had passed away in the night, and that our phone was out of order so they couldn't phone the news.

I saw her laid out in the undertakers, it was not very nice. My Dad later died whilst I was the other side of the world in New Zealand, I couldn't get back for his funeral; That hurt a lot.

But still better than the old lady who was flattened by a car when she tried to cross the road at Bishopstone after getting off the bus I was on about two years ago. Having to get off the bus and walk past a bloody heap with shopping everywhere, the car-driver was in shock too.

I still feel a bit queasy if someone makes a "thumbs-up" at me though, even now. But I do it to others without worrying..

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Just last week saw a woman commit suicide by Worthing Pier at low water.
A couple of months ago in the dusk I was walking back towards Eastbourne station besides the one-way system near the back of Sainsbury's. The cars coming towards me on the one-way were acting strangely. Then I realised why- a good-looking woman was calmly walking down the middle of the road with her back to the traffic.She was dressed in a black sari-type dress and in the dark would have hardly been visible.

I waved like fury to all the cars as I walked on towards the station as they passed me, the third or fourth one was a squad-car driving slowly. I guess someone had reported her. She looked so calm, I couldn't face the idea of trying to argue with her or dragging her onto the pavement. What the hell she was trying to prove, God knows.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here