Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this going to improve the game

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
What about a free for all after a bad tackle such as the game against Sheff Wed Murray got sent off, there was pushing and shoving all over the place stockdale would have got one, and several others.

How many can get binned at once ? that could lead to six aside which might be fun as long as you dont looooose obviously

Well if after warning they don't cease and desist, then they'd all be in the bin. You'd imagine the whole point of the idea is to get players to start respecting the ref. In the beginning there will be chaos like this, but players will learn and new tactics come to the fore.

Frankly I think this would only be fair with the use of video evidence etc, because right now an undeserved yellow is annoying, or a player getting away with a foul. But undeserved reds are quite a bit rarer. If players are getting sin binned then that might make a significant difference to the game - undeserved binning is far more contentious than an undeserved yellow.

Will also be interesting how long it would take to reintroduce players after their binning, would it by like subs today? Could mean you're down to 10 (or less!) for much longer if the opponents have the ball.

Very much doubt this will be introduced.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Well if after warning they don't cease and desist, then they'd all be in the bin. You'd imagine the whole point of the idea is to get players to start respecting the ref. In the beginning there will be chaos like this, but players will learn and new tactics come to the fore.

Frankly I think this would only be fair with the use of video evidence etc, because right now an undeserved yellow is annoying, or a player getting away with a foul. But undeserved reds are quite a bit rarer. If players are getting sin binned then that might make a significant difference to the game - undeserved binning is far more contentious than an undeserved yellow.

Will also be interesting how long it would take to reintroduce players after their binning, would it by like subs today? Could mean you're down to 10 (or less!) for much longer if the opponents have the ball.

Very much doubt this will be introduced.

Can I be cynical then and ask if we do introduce the sin bin and have to wait 30 seconds for video reply can we nip off for a quick add from our sponsors.....

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No, things are fine as they are. This could lead to regular 10-minute spells of bus parking as teams wait for players to get back on the pitch.

This.

The apparent ongoing desire to change football is troubling. That said I do like goal-line technology.

As an aside I would like referee's to be more accountable and be made available for interview post match. Additionally if a penalty is given I would like to a the ref use a microphone to explain decision to the crowd (like American football).

I'm not sure about the ability to challenge decisions with the use of instant replay, but it's a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
As an aside I would like referee's to be more accountable and be made available for interview post match. Additionally if a penalty is given I would like to a the ref use a microphone to explain decision to the crowd (like American football).

I'd like them miked up as they do for rugby. It would be instructive to hear what the refs are saying ... and how the players are talking to them,

I like the sin bin idea: it works well in rugby, You tend not to get too many people sin-binned in a game as it's too much of a penalty. I think it would be chaotic for a few months and then start to settle down

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I used to think it would be good but I feel it would get too messy and confusing. I would give yellow cards but you can have several and not be sent off for two. and each card is a one match ban. So when you walk off you might miss the next 5 games. I like to see 11 vs 11 and not get someone sent off.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think a punishment of one lap of the pitch would work, the player would have to bust a nut to get round as fast as possible, so as not to disadvantage his team for long, and would rejoin the play a little more tired than he needed to be.

RustyKent

Jun 2, 2014
Herne Bay
Good thing in my view. Obviously other things like bans etc would have to change in line with it. Would certainly make the taking of a yellow for the team more of a penalty.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I think more use of retrospective video evidence should be used for swarming around the the ref,simulation etc.etc . This allowing yellow /red cards.This sin-bin may have a place in the non televised leagues,as a deterrent.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Horrific idea, and more shit that is not needed in the game.

Can you just imagine how Warnock would have played this?

Get your players a round-robin of sin-bins throughout the game and take 5mins each to get off the pitch. It would increase time wasting if anything. The game needs fewer stoppages not more, christ it already takes the average ref a good 2-3mins to do his marching, move the players back and use his spray for any free kicks 40 yards from goal or less.

There will always be arguments, if you think a referee is going to send 6+ players off for 10mins, or if you think that possibility is actually a good thing for the game then you need your head checking out. Still, could be a good opportunity for a beer advert I guess:facepalm::shootself

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I'm in for it 100%. However, it would need to lead to a culture change in terms of how referees are treated, and for that to happen seriously, we need to support them with technology and an active fourth official who can support them with real time information. Unfortunately, football tends to do things in a fall arsed manner.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Yes from me, it works well in rugby and hockey. A serious offence will have a direct affect on the match being played and not a game in the future.

It would bring an end to cynical professional fouls where the player iis happy to "take one for the team".

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
When does the sin binned player come back on. This would seem straight forward but is it?

1st there is the issue of injuries where play is stopped. It would be logical to assume that the time where the refs watch is stopped, the 10 minute count down stops for the same period.
Is this communicated to the crowd

But my concern is currently to re-enter the field of play, the player that is off the field needs the refs permission to do so, and he won't receive it until 1) the ref is aware that he is ready to come back on, and 2) the area of play is not within an area where the player come back on can influence play.

So do you abandon this rule and the 4th official just pushes the player back on at the end of the sin bin period, or does the player have to suffer a further period off the pitch until waived on the ref, or something else such as immediately stopping play at the end of the sin bin period and restart with a drop ball when the player is back on.

Then as has been mentioned there is the issue of time wasting, which would be particularly relevant where a team has more than 1 player in the sin bin at the same time. Also what happens if there is a major incident r series of incidents where a team has 4 players in the sin bin thereby reducing the team to below the minimum number of permitted players, is the game finished and awarded to the opposing team as would happen currently?

I need to be convinced by seeing the sin bin in operation in a trail, but just from a printed option, I am against and would prefer to see advancements elsewhere first.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Do you really think that players would still rack up needless time in the sin bin?

Not what I said, refs will find more reasons for needless sin bins, 11 v 11 for 90 mins will be forever forgotten, refs will use it as a get out clause.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think we have all seen games where we are denied progress by a player who then gets booked. We all cheer but in most cases that yellow card has given us no advantage. So if the SIN BIN was linked to the award of a yellow card it would not occur too often but would punish the offending player's team and possibly give the offended team some advantage. So on that basis I am for it. Yes mistakes will be made (as they are s already) but too often teams have been rewarded by having a direct policy of fouling/time wasting.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I would introduce a few rules from other sports.

Sin bins - no arguing just go. Like hockey and rugby. It works.
Stop/start clock as per rugby. There would not be any injury time and it would stop time wasting at subs because click clearly stopped. Ends controversy over added time.

Free kicks to yourself - as per hockey. This is a great rule. If you are fouled you can stop the ball and start dribbling it. If they player is not back The yards then they can't tackle and if they do they are penalised. It would take a while to bed in but would make the sport much much faster with less faffing about.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Definitely a good thing. As an ex ref this would help immensely. It would stop all the backchat and niggly fouls in the box. The offenders team mates would soon get the hump if the same player is binned to often. This could also be used against divers as well to eradicate that from the game

I'm in favour of sin bins but I think your comment sums up what is currently wrong. Refs do not apply the laws consistently. If there is niggly fouls then give them. If they are for the attack then a penalty and you would soon see defences cut it out. The other way and the attack loses the chance to score. It's like time wasting. Refs in the main do nothing to stop it arguing that they add the time on at the end which is invariably an arbitrary amount. Clamp down on it in the first half with a booking and then book subsequent offenders whether or not that individual has done it earlier in the match.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
When does the sin binned player come back on. This would seem straight forward but is it?

1st there is the issue of injuries where play is stopped. It would be logical to assume that the time where the refs watch is stopped, the 10 minute count down stops for the same period.
Is this communicated to the crowdSurely the logical thing is that the 10 minutes starts from when the ref restarts the game!

But my concern is currently to re-enter the field of play, the player that is off the field needs the refs permission to do so, and he won't receive it until 1) the ref is aware that he is ready to come back on, and 2) the area of play is not within an area where the player come back on can influence play. Don't see the problem with it staying the same. Refs and fourth officials are miked up in the professional game so the player comes on when the ref says.

So do you abandon this rule and the 4th official just pushes the player back on at the end of the sin bin period, or does the player have to suffer a further period off the pitch until waived on the ref, or something else such as immediately stopping play at the end of the sin bin period and restart with a drop ball when the player is back on. Over complicating it.

Then as has been mentioned there is the issue of time wasting, which would be particularly relevant where a team has more than 1 player in the sin bin at the same time. Also what happens if there is a major incident r series of incidents where a team has 4 players in the sin bin thereby reducing the team to below the minimum number of permitted players, is the game finished and awarded to the opposing team as would happen currently?Firstly, you need 5 players to be off before the game is stopped and the match awarded to the opposition. Any team that has 5 players sin binned deserves to lose just as they would if they had 5 players sent off under current rules.

I need to be convinced by seeing the sin bin in operation in a trail, but just from a printed option, I am against and would prefer to see advancements elsewhere first.

Other than referees actually applying the existing rules properly, what other advancements do you think would improve the game.

As for the idea of sin bins, it is not a panacea for all of footballs ills but it might be step in the right direction.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here