Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top 3 sporting events in history

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
And he didn't run anyone out...

I'd like to have seen Hendrick and Botham bowling in that match.

On his day, boycs was unplayable and a lot of the current England squad could take a leaf out of his book that the ball is not there to be flogged around the ground everytime the bowler bowls.

It was interesting that Hick was regarded as a flat track bully, yet I remember seeing Boycs detroying pace attacks ( including the west Indies of Holder, Roberts et al) and by patience, skill and run accumulating not thrashing at the ball.. He is defined by Botham's run out, however his carreer is overwhelmingly about his skill and application.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
On his day, boycs was unplayable and a lot of the current England squad could take a leaf out of his book that the ball is not there to be flogged around the ground everytime the bowler bowls.

It was interesting that Hick was regarded as a flat track bully, yet I remember seeing Boycs destroying pace attacks ( including the west Indies of Holder, Roberts et al) and by patience, skill and run accumulating not thrashing at the ball.. He is defined by Botham's run out, however his carreer is overwhelmingly about his skill and application.

I'd say it was more of a slow and torturous turning of the screws.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Was alive for all of them but...

Sugar Ray Leonard v Roberto Duran, the return... "No Más"
Red Rum winning his first national v Crisp in the final run in.
Steve Ovett beating Seb Coe in Moscow.

Edit: Damn! Forgot Bothams Ashes and Headingly.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Hereford v Brighton (missed it first time round due to age [9] and no one to take me)
Palace away 1-0 McShane. Just such a brilliant atmosphere and amazing when the equaliser was ruled out
England winning the 1966 World Cup

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
1. Jessie Owen. - Just to witness the reaction from Hitler and the other Nazi party members in the stadium
2. Michael Jordan - With what in the states has been called 'The Shot' which won the Bulls the NBA title
3. Roger Bannister - 1st sub 4 minute mile. A race that is still talked about today
Watch the film Race, probably as near as you will get to finding out what it was like for Jesse Owens.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

It was interesting that Hick was regarded as a flat track bully, yet I remember seeing Boycs detroying pace attacks ( including the west Indies of Holder, Roberts et al) and by patience, skill and run accumulating not thrashing at the ball.. He is defined by Botham's run out, however his carreer is overwhelmingly about his skill and application.

As he did in the 3rd test in the West Indies in 1981, faced 10 balls in the match for 1 run, as Michael Holding got his wicket twice

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
As he did in the 3rd test in the West Indies in 1981, faced 10 balls in the match for 1 run, as Michael Holding got his wicket twice

well done for remembering that one game. superb effort by that man.

you are right...100 100's pah...he was shit

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Rugby world cup in Australia final
the win at Newcastle (again)
Oh AND THE LAST MINUTE WIN AGAINST SUNDERLAND 2-1 at the goldstone (just to be there one more time)

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Excluding BHA because I was there anyway, 1966 is a must. One of the first non footie things that came to mind was S Africa v Japan (Rugby World Cup, Amex). I'd go back but next time understand the history that I was watching.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
1) Super Saturday at the 2012 London Olympics. Farrah, Ennis and Rutherford all winning gold
2) Ashes 2005 2nd test at Edgbaston for the edge of your seat drama and gutted Australians
3) Rugby World Cup Final 2003, England win and have I mentioned about gutted Aussies

These.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
1 1992 Cardiff v Aldershot . Aldershot FC 's last ever game on a Friday night. I'd started a new job on the Monday and couldn't get time off
2 66 World Cup Final ,I don't think we'll win it in my lifetime again.
3 Seeing my late father beat Eric Bristow 3 1 in an Exhibition match in 1980.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Excluding the Albion.

Borg v McEnroe 1980
Hagler v Hearns 1984-ish. Possibly the most intensely brutal boxing match of all time.
Any of Eddie Merckx TdF wins; he only ever raced to win, never to consolidate.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Except of course that the film takes an extremely liberal view of history
Maybe but you were talking about Hitler and although it doesn't show him directly talking, you see him walking away. It certainly gives an insight, not sure what more you want from it.. maybe Hitler saying "I ain't going nowhere near that n*****!" :shrug:

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
2011 Suussex stakes at Goodwood - Frankel destroying Canford Cliffs.
The Ali V Foreman .. Rumble in the jungle
2003 England winning the Rugby Union World Cup.

A special mention for the Ovett v Coe Battles of 1980.
And the two fBorg v Macenroe Wimbledon finals.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
1) Super Saturday at the 2012 London Olympics. Farrah, Ennis and Rutherford all winning gold
2) Ashes 2005 2nd test at Edgbaston for the edge of your seat drama and gutted Australians
3) Rugby World Cup Final 2003, England win and have I mentioned about gutted Aussies

So many good shouts on this thread already, would probably go for 1&3 above, and the Headingly Ashes Test 1981 in place of 2 (retaining the theme of gutted, previously smug Australians). Choosing these because they were in my lifetime, I can vividly remember them all but I wasn't there.

Historically would have to be Ali v Frazier, 66 World Cup and Jesse Owens in Berlin.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here