Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale OFF ***to Birmingham - Official***

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Cairney or Mooy please.

Shane Long as Baldocks competition.

David Marshall to replace Stockdale.

That would do for me, although I'd be happy with Ulloa or Abraham to come in as a possible rotation with Murray and Hemed.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yes please / no chance / meh.

David Marshall please.

I'm aware you've been a long-term fan of his, but -- from watching highlights on MotD -- he hasn't exactly been impressive this season. But I'm keen to hear your thoughts of Marshall in the PL.
I'm also keen for you to factor in that impressive 'moneyball' thread that featured a few months back, in which there were convincing arguments made for focusing on a strong defence (hence Duffy as record buy) rather than splurging big on various strikers (shall we call this the Derby way, or the :lolol: way?). If so, surely our goalkeeper will be the most important signing we make, alongside other defenders (Tomori on loan and a Robertson signing for me, please)? That said, I wouldn't be too disappointed if we ended up with Abraham on loan, Defoe and Siggurdson or Cairney -- as impossible as that might seem.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Losing anyone in the next few weeks isn't a disaster. Not replacing them with better before the season starts would be.
This.

It does seem odd that all the rumours are that the out of contract players are mostly going.

Stockdale 'going'
Stephens 'going'
Bong 'going'
Sidwell 'staying?'
Maenpaa ?

By my reckoning if those rumours are right it looks like we'll be needing 11 - 12 new players. A lot to do.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm aware you've been a long-term fan of his, but -- from watching highlights on MotD -- he hasn't exactly been impressive this season. But I'm keen to hear your thoughts of Marshall in the PL.

Brilliant for Cardiff in the PL, and almost kept them up single (double) handed.

Torrid half season behind a shambolic Hull defence.

Not really basing it on any of that though - more on my own eyes. Very impressive when I've seen him play*

*am aware such an approach could lead to signing the terrible Joe Lewis off the back of the best display I've ever seen away to Peterborough...

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
What does that say for Tapatalk please ?

It says 'Much appreciated and great to see the massive club back in the Prem. Good luck next year and enjoy' but on reading it again it is in response to a tweet from the sports editor of the Newcastle Chronicle. One this morning of 'Gutted to go out like that. Big thank you to all my teammates and staff. [MENTION=27715]Benjames[/MENTION]Roberts for everything. Thank you to all the fans' could be interrupted as being more of a farewell.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Losing anyone in the next few weeks isn't a disaster. Not replacing them with better before the season starts would be.

I disagree. Stockdale would be a decent PL keeper. He would save us more points than he would cost with the occasional error.

Of course if I was to detach emotion and be as impersonal and objective as possible, he is replaceable with a keeper as good or better who is less prone to errors but perhaps much less capable with his feet.

The problem is, that is going to cost money and a chunk of our budget which could be used to plug other holes and add/replace in more pressing and influential positions.

The same goes for Stephens, who I have said many times will be a solid PL midfielder in a 2 or 3. Replaceable? Of course, but there goes another 8-12M that we can't use elsewhere, just to get back to where we started.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It says 'Much appreciated and great to see the massive club back in the Prem. Good luck next year and enjoy' but on reading it again it is in response to a tweet the editor of the Newcastle Chronicle. One this morning of 'Gutted to go out like that. Big thank you to all my teammates and staff. [MENTION=27715]Benjames[/MENTION]Roberts for everything. Thank you to all the fans' could be interrupted as being more of a farewell.
Thanks !

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I disagree. Stockdale would be a decent PL keeper. He would save us more points than he would cost with the occasional error.

Of course if I was to detach emotion and be as impersonal and objective as possible, he is replaceable with a keeper as good or better who is less prone to errors but perhaps much less capable with his feet.

The problem is, that is going to cost money and a chunk of our budget which could be used to plug other holes and add/replace in more pressing and influential positions.

The same goes for Stephens, who I have said many times will be a solid PL midfielder in a 2 or 3. Replaceable? Of course, but there goes another 8-12M that we can't use elsewhere, just to get back to where we started.

Agree - but still not a 'disaster'.........

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
Some of the stuff you wrote on this thread I agree whole heartedly on DS with bwut the one highlighted above I most surely cannot. If that were the case then Knockeart would be crap because he chased down stupid lost balls which all that did was keep ''his personal stats'' for the match up. He offered nothing productive going forward and continually got caught in possession. His chasing of the lost causes left him too knackered to chase back and cover when he needed to.

So if you are only as good as your last game then Knocky is hopeless and most definitely Knocky is not hopeless

Been going over 40 years, and probably because of the level we're at stocko is the best, but my favourite is still John Keeley. Lower level as a club, but he was excellent.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Another Marshall fan here, albeit more from his Cardiff time than anything he has done at Hull. I think that Walton has the potential to be as good a keeper as we have had (Mark Beeney runs David Stockdale very close for me in my near 40 years as a supporter) so how the club deals with him is as important as who we bring in (assuming of course that DS is going.)

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Agree - but still not a 'disaster'.........

Disaster could be considered an extreme word sure. But to replace our best CM player without using a considerable portion of our budget would be a serious blow. For me we need two new full backs and two strikers as priorities and now it may be that we need to spend a significant sum on a goalie and a Stephens replacement with all the uncertainty that even if we get players in for money that they settle, hit the ground running etc. People always talk about the spine of a team being important and that is two elements of it possibly gone.

We will survive but if that happens it makes the recruiting teams task quite a lot harder IMO

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Is Jordan Pickford a realistic replacement?

No!

Everton are closing in on a £17 million deal for Sunderland goalkeeper Jordan Pickford, according to reports.

The Northern Echo claims that Manchester City and Liverpool have been considering a move for the 23-year-old at the end of the season, but Everton are now expected to complete a deal.

Sunderland are fully aware of the interest in Pickford and will cash in on their first-choice goalkeeper this summer.

The Black Cats value Pickford at £20m but will accept a slightly lower fee given that the transfer will ease their financial situation following their relegation to the Championship.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/05/evert...rlands-jordan-pickford-6617344/#ixzz4gUk7EPZz

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Get back in your box. A rumour not signed in blood on a tablet of stone. What were you expecting an letter from Stockdale or something? Someone who works for the club, true or not true time will tell.

We can all start rumours mate [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
I didn't start it. I just spread it :lolol:

I like it to be untrue as much as the next man/woman/child etc. Time will tell I guess.

Lol on the plus side, apparently Messi is bored of winning everything at Barca and fancies a new challenge in GOSBTS. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Will be missed for much more than his goalkeeping. An impressive young man who's conducted himself with dignity the whole way through his career here. Not only did we see his true colours after Shoreham but there's another story that it's only now appropriate to tell. In my son's football club one player in a younger age group was diagnosed with cancer, The club raised money to send the family on a much needed break and one of the committee tweeted Stockdale just to see if he'd RT the just giving link, Instead he offered to make up any shortfall himself.

We will also miss his kicking. His distribution is excellent. And the dressing room spirit everyone goes on about? He's an instrumental part of it. So those saying good riddance, I hope you can name a Premier League standard keeper who saves penalties, has excellent distribution, positive dressing room influence and community spirit because that's what we're losing.

As for yesterday some Brighton fans really need to have a word with themselves. Watch a replay as I have and Andy Naylor has and you will see Dunk's movement in front wrong foots him. It was just one of those things but when it happens to a keeper it almost always leads to a goal. No one mentioning his MAGNIFICENT stop from Hurihane that kept us in the game eh? It's just part of being a keeper. Pocognoli was far worse and should have cost us all three points in the first half, but because his school boy errors weren't straight in front of goal, and because Lansbury is shit, they didn't.

Great post. We'll miss Stockdale on and off the pitch if, as it seems, he is leaving us.

As for Pocognoli he made two horrendous errors. For the first his blushes were spared by Lansbury's very poor miss, for the second they were spared by Stockdale making a great save.

It really pisses me off some of the shit written in this thread by clueless buffoons - I'm looking at you [MENTION=17103]Mo Gosfield[/MENTION] for this one(there are others too but i can't remember their names and they haven't posted quite as much bilge as yourself:thumbsup: ).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here