Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minutes applause

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Now seems a good time to discuss this without coming across as crassly insensitive.

It's about time we stopped with this mawkish response every time somebody passes away isn't it? It's just a totally devalued sentiment. Obviously I think the Shoreham air crash was an example where it was the right thing to do, as that was a local tragedy that impacted lots of people and affected a lot of people around the club. I think it was even extreme when applied to that Brazilian tragedy. Awful though that was, terrible accidents happen all the time and I just don't see that it was appropriate. Leave the public shows of respect for that to Brazilian clubs, or South American clubs at a push.

I just read on Owlstalk that their club is now doing a minute's applause on the last game of the calendar year to respect all fans who have passed away. I think that's an excellent alternative.

totally agree except for last 2 sentences, really not necessary imho

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Unless it is for a tragic disaster that impacts on our club & fans (ie Shoreham), I'm all for the annual remembrance (either around remembrance day or last home game of the season).

Too often found myself applauding away then at the end turning and asking someone "what was that for? or who was he?". I think we even had a minutes applause for a fan of one of the opposing teams who had died (can't recall now if it was this season or last).

It is getting a bit out of hand.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I found this interesting comment:

I have no doubt that what I’m about to say is going to be massively unpopular with some – but I’ve reached the point whereby I have to say this out loud.
I think a minutes applause is a bad idea. I think it smacks of trying to look good without actually doing good and is a reflection of the social media landscape we live in today, where a click is all that is needed to salve the conscience. I’m a father and I will tell you now, if (God forbid) anything tragic like this was to befall me or my family then I absolutely wouldn’t want this at all.
The more we hold a minutes applause for each tragedy, the less it means. Let’s not do this.
That doesn’t mean we should do nothing though. I do think that things like this transcend football rivalry – after all, we’re all human. We should feel empathy to our fellow human beings and want to do what we can to help.
Rather than applauding like badly trained seals, let’s do something constructive. Something as simple as buckets being shaken before the match for a charity like CLIC Sargent, who offer help and support for young people with cancer and their families. It won’t help the family of Jack that much sadly, but what it might do is help other families going through the same thing.

http://www.oftenpartisan.co.uk/archives/15798/minutes-applause.html

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
The club do have a video on the big screen at the last home game of the season with pictures of fans who have died in the past 12 months.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
This! Forced mourning is a social media thing!

Think it started pre-social media with Princess Diana?
We've never really recovered from that collective madness but i agree social media has accelerated the whole competitive grieving thing.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
On balance I think the club have got this about right. Is it really so hard to clap for a minute for someone who has contributed to the Albion?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
To pass away has been used in England for hundreds of years.

Your focus is obviously on the facts rather than [MENTION=3508]fisons[/MENTION] rather wry humour!

"Pass away" was a euphemism that arose:)facepalm:!) in 15 century England although it's use dwindled until being resurrected:)facepalm:!) about 40 years ago, probably with strong American influence. "Pass" simply continues the trend of attempting to ameliorate the harshness of "dead".

I can't get too worked up about "passed away", unlike "soccer" or "defense" or "can I get" or "take-out" or "gotten" or "normalcy" or, now I'm just getting carried away.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I blame Princess Diana. Until her death, public shows of grief and outpourings of emotion were rarer than rocking horse shit.

If Liz doesn't shake her sniffles, the PD griefchasers are soon going to look like rank amateurs.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Can't get worked up either way, but does feel almost like the half time birthday announcements now - how many deaths are we going to clap this week...........

A minute's silence for things like Chapacoense is understandable - football family and very significant numbers etc, but individuals who happened to be fans (however uber) is a bit OTT.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Good example though but it just illustrates the problem.

When it comes down to it very few of us, including dear Tony, are known by many other people in an Albion Amex crowd. So just where do you draw the line? Who gets the special treatment and who doesn't?
Yes, agreed my post was a bit contradictory. IF we're going to have applause for individuals then Tony was a fine example of a deserving recipient. But as you say where do you draw the line? At the very least we need to sharpen up the criteria - although your point about who does and who doesn't deserve it would still be extremely valid. (More abuse for Mr Barber to endure!)

Hence my other (preferred) view that when it comes to individual tributes we scrap the lot and try and follow the Southampton (and Wednesday as well by the sound of it) example of having one set day where we honour everybody.

Mind you I don't know what'll happen when a national football figure (such as Bobby Charlton) dies as we're back to deciding if they're 'worth it' or not ...

Last edited:

Keith the Kipper

Feb 27, 2010
Worthing
Good example though but it just illustrates the problem.

When it comes down to it very few of us, including dear Tony, are known by many other people in an Albion Amex crowd. So just where do you draw the line? Who gets the special treatment and who doesn't?
Could it not be linked to the number of Loyalty Points they have at date of death ?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Now seems a good time to discuss this without coming across as crassly insensitive.

It's about time we stopped with this mawkish response every time somebody passes away isn't it? It's just a totally devalued sentiment. Obviously I think the Shoreham air crash was an example where it was the right thing to do, as that was a local tragedy that impacted lots of people and affected a lot of people around the club. I think it was even extreme when applied to that Brazilian tragedy. Awful though that was, terrible accidents happen all the time and I just don't see that it was appropriate. Leave the public shows of respect for that to Brazilian clubs, or South American clubs at a push.

I just read on Owlstalk that their club is now doing a minute's applause on the last game of the calendar year to respect all fans who have passed away. I think that's an excellent alternative.

I like this [MENTION=11499]simmo[/MENTION], a lot, and agree. Trouble I have is, we respect the likes of Knocky and he respects us for mourning with him. I know it is a case of where do we stop, but where do we? I haven't got a clue. If someone could come up with a definitive answer I'd be there..

How do you tell someone we ain't respecting you?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
:clap::clap::clap:

Entirely with you on this. Might even go as far as to say perhaps we could all mentally remember those that have been lost, personal or not, over the last 12 months when there is a minutes silence for Armistice Day/Remberence Sunday, military people or not.

its two minutes silence for remembrance sunday, a pedant writes.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
It all got a bit much for me when we played a northern club, I think it was Derby or Birmingham late last year. A 17yr old season ticket holder from the club had been killed in a hit and run or some such incident. Why involve us? If you wish to hold a minutes silence at home then that's your choice. Why go away and ask that club to do it? Wait till your next home game or hold a vigil at the club on any given day of your choosing.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
But just because we can, it doesn't necessarily mean that we should.

I honestly don't feel the need to know about the death of someone I'd never heard of, or never knew. Sure I'll join in with the applause, but for me its just a trite empty gesture. I'm either watching the game, or waiting for the game to start. As [MENTION=205]Tom Hark, Preston Park[/MENTION] said, save it for the programme. Close family and friends can keep it as a memento - that would mean far more than a stadium full of strangers standing there clapping like seals because they feel obliged to.

you are so right, I'm not going to join in anymore!

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I was going to post about him. He shuffled out of the Amex aged 94 having just seen the Albion absolutely BATTER QPR 4-0 and sadly died near the train station.

Frankly, I can't think of any better way to go. And yet, we still got a minute's applause for this. Wildly over the top.

So agree. I am nearer the end of life than the beginning. As I have said previously the last thing I would want when I die is my ugly mug on the big screen and you lot having to clap not knowing who the heck I was. It also disrupts watching the football which is why we are there. Remembrance in the appropriate place and time and for me that is not at a football match.

As others have said Diana started this mass hysterical need to be seen expressing sorrow. It's out of hand as are Remembrance Poppies which every person in public life is expected to wear one 2 weeks before Remembrance day itself. My dear old Dad who was at Dunkirk, El Alamein, Monte Cassino and then POW, used to say that he did not want to remember as it was flipping awful and never wanted to inflict on others a mass remembrance.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here