Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Get rid of the bloody ugly thing

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
....unlikely IMHO to ever appear anywhere near the top of anybody's Bucket List Of Things To Do In Sussex.

You are quite right probably won't appear on a bucket list, but it might appear on a lot peoples list of things to do in Sussex. It's someting to go up, so people will. Why do people go up the Shard, or the Empire State, or the Eiffel Tower, or even the Blackpool Tower...it's because they can

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I live near it.
It's by far the ugliest, most pointless concept that they could have visualised: "Look - You can see Upper Beeding and....Selsey from here".
Calls a 5 minute up & down a 'flight and' charges £5.50 a pint. Oh and constantly breaks down.
Might be useful in Croydon or Crawley to remind you there's greener grass out ther, but an 'enhancement' to the seafront? Yeah, bollocks.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Obviously it is here to stay and "get rid" isn't an option because it would be harder to dismantle than erect. I don't know how many years it will last but certainly hundreds but I am curious to know if there is even a viable plan to dismantle it. Over time all of the cans will weld themselves together and they cannot use the reverse technique of its build.

Probably the easiest way to bring it down is to just topple it onto the beach which would be one hell of a spectacle.

Could put it to new use as a tunnel bridge to the pier!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I live near it.
It's by far the ugliest, most pointless concept that they could have visualised: "Look - You can see Upper Beeding and....Selsey from here".
Calls a 5 minute up & down a 'flight and' charges £5.50 a pint. Oh and constantly breaks down.
Might be useful in Croydon or Crawley to remind you there's greener grass out ther, but an 'enhancement' to the seafront? Yeah, bollocks.

The price of it is astonishing for what it is. As of April 1st it'll be £16.00 for an adult 'flight' or £14.40 if you book online.

Or you could spend a couple of quid, get on the bus to Devil's Dyke and enjoy much the same view from up there instead.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Get a grip man, it's bringing business into Brighton and makes Brighton stand out from other coastal towns/cities and they will get the reliability eventually, when you get something out of the ordinary its always going to need more attention.

Let's face it the AMEX is pretty special is that a blot???

Brighton couldn't stand out more from other coastal towns and cities if it stood up on four legs and shouted through a megaphone "Mi staras ekstere de aliaj marbordaj urboj!"

The Amex is beautiful, don't really see how that's relevant.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I like it, some people just don't like change or innovation.

Yes, I think a tall, grey, tube looks like a chimney because I don't like change or innovation :rolleyes:

By the way I'm not against the thing and am looking forward to going on it. But I still think it's ugly, and far uglier than they managed to make it look in the plans.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
The price of it is astonishing for what it is. As of April 1st it'll be £16.00 for an adult 'flight' or £14.40 if you book online.

Or you could spend a couple of quid, get on the bus to Devil's Dyke and enjoy much the same view from up there instead.

and a lot more fun when the bus breaks down :smile:

D

Deleted member 2719

Brighton couldn't stand out more from other coastal towns and cities if it stood up on four legs and shouted through a megaphone "Mi staras ekstere de aliaj marbordaj urboj!"

The Amex is beautiful, don't really see how that's relevant.

That where we differ on opinion Notters, i like the look of the i360, beauty is the i of the the beholder!

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Yes, I think a tall, grey, tube looks like a chimney because I don't like change or innovation :rolleyes:

By the way I'm not against the thing and am looking forward to going on it. But I still think it's ugly, and far uglier than they managed to make it look in the plans.

Why do you hate chimneys so much?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
It makes our coast look like middlesborough. Industrial wasteland. They could have at least painted it white?! Battleship grey really isn't helping matters.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Personally I think it looks great. We have been on it once and found the experience fascinating, especially what people have done to the advertising on the roofs nearby. The restaurant is very good too, with decent food..not the cheapest, but that is what you would expect in that position and compares to al frescos next door.

I think the work that is being done on the seafront is fascinating to see and will enhance the seafront no end. It will be interesting seeing the new pavilion being built between al frescos and the i and the sculptures further along towards the brighton music hall will be amazing.

The works being done at the bottom of west street replacing and renewing the dilapidated old bath house looks very interesting and the upgrading of Volks railway to the marina.

The is no doubt brighton and Hove are really trying hard to encourage tourism to the city

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I've been up it. It's OK - a novelty, but doesn't look great. However, the worst thing done to wreck the views along the seafront are the flats they have put up at the Marina. You used to be able to see right along the coast to the chalk cliffs at Eastbourne - now the world ends at Black Rock.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I've been up it. It's OK - a novelty, but doesn't look great. However, the worst thing done to wreck the views along the seafront are the flats they have put up at the Marina. You used to be able to see right along the coast to the chalk cliffs at Eastbourne - now the world ends at Black Rock.

Thought you couldn't see beyond Seaford Head.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Does this thread relate to the one above it, or the one below it?

Capture.JPG

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Personally I think it looks great. We have been on it once and found the experience fascinating, especially what people have done to the advertising on the roofs nearby. The restaurant is very good too, with decent food..not the cheapest, but that is what you would expect in that position and compares to al frescos next door.

I think the work that is being done on the seafront is fascinating to see and will enhance the seafront no end. It will be interesting seeing the new pavilion being built between al frescos and the i and the sculptures further along towards the brighton music hall will be amazing.

The works being done at the bottom of west street replacing and renewing the dilapidated old bath house looks very interesting and the upgrading of Volks railway to the marina.

The is no doubt brighton and Hove are really trying hard to encourage tourism to the city

I realise this will sound confrontational but here goes: you're positing that two good things are adverts and expensive food?

I do agree on the work being done, as part of this project, on the seafront generally. I just think we could have had that without the tower.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I realise this will sound confrontational but here goes: you're positing that two good things are adverts and expensive food?

I do agree on the work being done, as part of this project, on the seafront generally. I just think we could have had that without the tower.

Well I could have put it was a fantastic view of the downs, along the seafront onwards Worthing, the isle of white and over to the marina and peering over the flats towards the Seven sisters, and out to sea giving views of the new wind farm going up. It was great explaining to visitors and residents some of the sights, like the churches, and the hospitals....need I go on?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here