Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I've finally decided to start cycling in the morning.
Saved up some money and ready to bike a bike for training. As you may notice, I am not an expert so it would be perfect if someone gave me an advice which model should I choose.

Hiya. What is your budget and what sort of cycling do you plan to do? Are you local?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A little nod to last nights programme about the Downs.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...h-Downs-England-s-Mountains-Green#post7814064

I appreciate it's the next bit on from what most of you easterly guys want to clock up mileage wise, for a day in the saddle.
But now would seem like a good time to highlight the riding around The Meon Valley.

It'll be well worth the trip over even if you train/drive part of the way.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], I thought I'd update you on my f low sugar/dairy diet. 4 weeks in and it really seems to help shift the hard to shift flab. I lapse at the weekend with a few lattes and a little bit of choc but so far, so good. I definitely feel a bit weaker generally though. I went out this morning having not eaten since yesterday lunchtime so I'm not surprised that gravity was evil. This morning was about spinning up (my new training idea) so emptying the tank early was inevitable. Nice to see a slowing bpm up the last hill I minced up, so I guess my heart is healthy.

I really need a bra. My hrm band slipped down to my belly. Told you the flab was coming off!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], I thought I'd update you on my f low sugar/dairy diet. 4 weeks in and it really seems to help shift the hard to shift flab. I lapse at the weekend with a few lattes and a little bit of choc but so far, so good. I definitely feel a bit weaker generally though. I went out this morning having not eaten since yesterday lunchtime so I'm not surprised that gravity was evil. This morning was about spinning up (my new training idea) so emptying the tank early was inevitable. Nice to see a slowing bpm up the last hill I minced up, so I guess my heart is healthy.

I really need a bra. My hrm band slipped down to my belly. Told you the flab was coming off!
Good work.

Having watched OHN yesterday, it was tough not to notice Alexander Kristoff has been on the same Brie & Tiger Bread diet I've been on.
Although I'll hazard a guess he'll shift the ballast a tad quicker.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Updated desktop wallpaper for anyone who wants it.

I managed to scan my photo of Johann Museeuw in Yellow going up Elm Grove in the 1994 Dover to Brighton TdF stage.

I've changed the font colour too and started the world tour calender from where SB rightly says is the real start of the season :thumbsup:

Again, should be able to just save as and use if you want it.

JM calendar wallpaper .jpeg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
FYI

Battle Mountain - Graeme Obree's Story is available on BBC I-Player.

Thanks for this SB. Watched it the other week on the iplayer thanks to your heads up here. Cracking viewing :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh oh thanks for the reminder, 1066.

Look what I saw rusting on someones drive today:-

WP_20170301_001.jpg

WP_20170301_002.jpg

WP_20170301_003.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Must say the rust colour looks so much better than celeste :wink:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Cycling uphill and texting at the same time

Just scored myself one of these.....

View attachment 82007

so look out you shaven velcro/lycra warriors - I'm gonna be gliding past you, probably whistling, as you heave yourselves up the Beacon!!

I was thinking getting one of these ebikes. Don''t know which one?

Anyone got a Kalthoff with an Impulse II motor ? (these are £600 cheaper, is there a catch?)

Got a Cyclamatic but it broke down and nobody will fix it.

What are the arrangements if it breaks down?

I would like one with a throttle, if my knee goes wonky again.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Anyone else having a pop at the March climbing challenge? Don't see why i should be "tout seul" bringing up my breakfast!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So after the excitement of the Sagan show last weekend in Belgium at Omloop & KBK, tomorrow we have even more spectacle with Strade Bianchi. Fantastic race this!, and all sorts of riders can win it. Short odds for the bigger favourites and outsiders aren't much longer as the field is so strong. I might have a little dabble with an Italian pairing of Felline and Rosa.

Meanwhile, Paris-Nice starts on Sunday. I've just discovered Velogames are doing this. I just went and picked a team in 5 minutes flat of all Frenchies. I've done this before with all for a French race and it turned out not too bad, so I'll definitely be sticking with this quick fire selection. As fantasy seems to have died on it's arse here now, I won't bother setting up a league, but I will join a geeks one if anyone else can be bothered to come out to play and post the code here.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Traditional Puncheur weather this morning, I see.

Several of us geeks used to cycle this annually. I do hope nobody from here is unfortunate enough to be out there today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here