Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I went to bed intending to hit the Orpington parkrun this morning but a disturbed night (one of our dogs is on his last legs and needs a wee every couple of hours) meant I missed the cold and wet park. So I opted for 5 k on the treadmill this evening - as a complete contrast one of the boys had had the stove on in the gym room and I absolutely roasted for 29:38, inside my target of 30:00. Currently glugging water to recover.

I'm starting to feel like a bit of a wuss as I have been 'braving' the cold with hat AND gloves. 6 miles due tomorrow - time to man up I think.

The only concession I make to the weather is wearing a long sleeved t instead of short sleeved. Aside from that, it's always shorts. Hats, gloves, tight things and jackets can do one - we live in Southern England.

That said the weather forecast suggests I'll head out tomorrow evening not morning - I'm often out until nearly midnight for my Sunday run.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I'm not sure the 235 would be suitable for swimming, splash proof not waterproof I think. If you want something to just count laps in a swimming pool get a Pool Mate watch which ate pretty cheap.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...1484398850&sr=8-1&pi=SL75&keywords=poolmate+2

Or you could get a Garmin 735xt which does running and swimming but are costly to say the least!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...&qid=1484398997&sr=8-1&pi=SL75&keywords=735xt

The 235 is definitely waterproof. My wife's been trying a couple of the swimming apps but they're a bit flaky.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The only concession I make to the weather is wearing a long sleeved t instead of short sleeved. Aside from that, it's always shorts. Hats, gloves, tight things and jackets can do one - we live in Southern England.

That said the weather forecast suggests I'll head out tomorrow evening not morning - I'm often out until nearly midnight for my Sunday run.

So actually staying indoors is another concession [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So actually staying indoors is another concession [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Not really - I don't mind running in the rain at all, but tomorrow I have a choice so I'll go out later. I prefer evening running anyway so it's my default option.

If tomorrow evening was due to be worse than tomorrow morning and I chose to go out earlier instead, then you'd have a point!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not really - I don't mind running in the rain at all, but tomorrow I have a choice so I'll go out later. I prefer evening running anyway so it's my default option.

If tomorrow evening was due to be worse than tomorrow morning and I chose to go out earlier instead, then you'd have a point!

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji106][emoji3]

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Yes im running the Half again this year. Also considering Worthing two weeks prior, it's excellent prep.

I'm doing the Brighton half too. My first half marathon - first race I've done longer than 10k, so a bit daunting (especially having pulled out of the half last year a week before due to injury), but training going ok so far.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
It's a TRS Brunch run - starting from Big Beach Cafe and covering most of the second half of the marathon course, which at least means going past the end of my road 4 times so I can just go home half way though like in school cross country.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Nine cold, wet miles this morning. Once again bumped in to [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] who looked to be having just as much fun as me.

I go for shorts, technical top and rain/wind jacket plus running gloves in such conditions but no hat. Hats can do one. That said my gloves got soaked so I needed to get them off to find my keys at the end and just a couple of minutes exposed made the hand so cold I ran it straight under hot water when I got in. Back in the game though. https://www.strava.com/activities/832361977/overview

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I'll be monitoring you're progress for 6 months as I build up from a 4 month lay off. I'll be aiming for last year's 75-76%, you're nearly there....
At the moment I'm pleased with 64%.

Here's the AG calculator used by Parkrun. I'll need a sub 20:25 5k after 28/10/17 for 77%. A life best AG. Better get off my ar*e.
http://www.runningforfitness.org/ca...in=20&sec=00&age=58&gender=M&Submit=Calculate

Cheers. I'll be focusing on building up the time on my feet during the next few weeks, as I'm training for the Brighton half - never run a race longer than 10k before, so it's a challenge for me (i was signed up for it last year, but had to pull out with a stress fracture the week before the race, so I'm taking the build-up seriously this year). This morning's long run in the cold and rain (20.75km, 1hr 58m) has just about done me in after yesterday's bust-a-gut parkrun, but I'm getting there. After the half is over, I'll concentrate more seriously on getting my 5k time down and my AG up to NSC-competitive levels.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Nine cold, wet miles this morning. Once again bumped in to [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] who looked to be having just as much fun as me.

I go for shorts, technical top and rain/wind jacket plus running gloves in such conditions but no hat. Hats can do one. That said my gloves got soaked so I needed to get them off to find my keys at the end and just a couple of minutes exposed made the hand so cold I ran it straight under hot water when I got in. Back in the game though. https://www.strava.com/activities/832361977/overview

Good effort - it was absolutely minging out there this morning. Did 10 miles along the ridge on the SDW - surprised how much ice/snow/slush there was in addition to the mud up there. Rain was freezing ! Mugs of tea and Sky Sports cricket and football for the rest of the day, with that slightly enhanced smug feeling of having been out despite the weather [emoji23][emoji23]

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Good effort - it was absolutely minging out there this morning. Did 10 miles along the ridge on the SDW - surprised how much ice/snow/slush there was in addition to the mud up there. Rain was freezing ! Mugs of tea and Sky Sports cricket and football for the rest of the day, with that slightly enhanced smug feeling of having been out despite the weather [emoji23][emoji23]

Good plan. Football + roast and huge smugness here.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Cheers. I'll be focusing on building up the time on my feet during the next few weeks, as I'm training for the Brighton half - never run a race longer than 10k before, so it's a challenge for me (i was signed up for it last year, but had to pull out with a stress fracture the week before the race, so I'm taking the build-up seriously this year). This morning's long run in the cold and rain (20.75km, 1hr 58m) has just about done me in after yesterday's bust-a-gut parkrun, but I'm getting there. After the half is over, I'll concentrate more seriously on getting my 5k time down and my AG up to NSC-competitive levels.

Enjoy Brighton. Many of us on here have found their 5K times are impressive in the weeks after a half or full marathon. I think I'll train for the Hasting's Half in mid March.Just done 6 easy miles along seafront and enjoyed my first run over 5k since July.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Another shit nights sleep meant I got out at 11:30 this morning. I was under strict orders my run and warm down shouldn't exceed an hour!

Decided to use my frustration to positive effect and managed 7.5 miles in 52:45 at an average pace of 6:54 so very pleased with this.

I feel really fat at the moment but my hamstrings are robbing me of pace so having to work really hard throughout.

A long run Tuesday next.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
14 miles in 1.55, first 7 in around 9 min miles and last 7 in around 7.30 min miles straight into a pretty light headwind but minging rain, grim.

Tea roast and a few nutrion shakes for me.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
11 wet miles. Held off as long as I could but little improvement weather wise. I manned up after reading others exploits on here. Beer and beer will be the remains of Sunday

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
12 miles at 8s this morning so 1:36. Rain wasn't as bad as I feared. Hot bath warmed me up and Lancashire Hot Pot for tea will finish the day nicely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here