Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton i360 construction update.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Private backers weren't forthcoming which suggests the business plan is questionable

Not necessarily. "Government" money is much much cheaper than private money. The business plan might not have stacked up using private money but it does with cheaper government cash.

And I think saying government cash should only be used for "essential" items is way too simplistic. The money is underwritten by the tax-payer, but then everything the government does is the same, but it might not actually be from the tax-payers pot. Maybe the government borrowed it themselves? I firmly believe in taking calculated risks and this seems totally sensible to me.

D

Deleted User X18H

Correct. Taxpayer money is there to provide essential services - not to lend to private enterprise when private lenders refuse to lend.

Private backers weren't forthcoming which suggests the business plan is questionable. For starters the number of riders seems hugely over optimistic.

As I've said, I'm not against it for NIMBY reasons - it looks pretty good ( I can see it from my house in Hangleton ) and I'll watch the fireworks on Thursday from home. My issue is the use of taxpayers money - if the council backed this financially why didn't they build the Amex and make a cool million a year that the stadium company makes from the football club ? Where does investing public money into private enterprise end or become unacceptable ?

I used to live in Hangleton as a boy.

Decent place to grow up. The glow of the Goldstone floodlights on a winters evening would warm your heart.

A harrier or a Red Arrow hawk occasionally screaming through Toads Hole Valley would provide excitement.

The number 8 circular bus. Occasionally an open top in summer would provide a distraction from the West Blatch play scheme.
Blackberrys from the fields adjoining Toads Hole in September and the very low flying Cessna spraying the crops behind the school field.
Mr Silk and Victor the chippy and his legendary gun under the counter. The Downsman off sales. And Dave Sexton in Amberly Drive. Mickey Kavanagh in Poynings Drive.
Alas it's not the same now. Not a nice place I'm afraid.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
In a world where confidence is low. This is more than ever looking like a positive move. It gives the message that brighton is bold and open for business. It's taken a bloody long time but we have a superb stadium, the i360. These will only increase the chances of a new conference arena and viable plans for the madeira terraces. A superb balance between renovating history while making future plans

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
In a world where confidence is low. This is more than ever looking like a positive move. It gives the message that brighton is bold and open for business. It's taken a bloody long time but we have a superb stadium, the i360. These will only increase the chances of a new conference arena and viable plans for the madeira terraces. A superb balance between renovating history while making future plans

Could not agree more.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
if the council backed this financially why didn't they build the Amex and make a cool million a year that the stadium company makes from the football club ?

I thought the council did invest via providing their land? Wasn't the land worth around 10m?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

Decent place to grow up. The glow of the Goldstone floodlights on a winters evening would warm your heart.

A harrier or a Red Arrow hawk occasionally screaming through Toads Hole Valley would provide excitement.

The number 8 circular bus. Occasionally an open top in summer would provide a distraction from the West Blatch play scheme.
Blackberrys from the fields adjoining Toads Hole in September and the very low flying Cessna spraying the crops behind the school field.
Mr Silk and Victor the chippy and his legendary gun under the counter. The Downsman off sales. And Dave Sexton in Amberly Drive. Mickey Kavanagh in Poynings Drive.

Are you feeling alright? Your recent NSC activity is somewhat odd to say the least.

D

Deleted User X18H

I don't wish to appear churlish. But do you live in the conurbation? Are you a Brighton & Hove Council Tax payer ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Where does investing public money into private enterprise end or become unacceptable ?

I don't think one can give a single and definitive answer. It's a case by case situation.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And the King Alfred.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

And me TOO :bigwave:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patreon
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head

I lived 2 doors up from Dave. Billy Lane lived there before him.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Spot on! Very much looking forward to this being the focal point of the city, especially on a Fri and Sat night when all lit up.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Is it just me that had the film trailer guy's voice in their head when reading the opening sentence?

Boston28

Feb 7, 2014
I don't really know how you get round this issue but I went up in the pod last week and when taking photos or videos all you can see is yourself in the reflection of the glass. I'm guessing a photo opportunity is the reason why a majority will want to go on it and unfortunately they will all look appalling. Is this a problem with similar attractions in other cities?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I don't really know how you get round this issue but I went up in the pod last week and when taking photos or videos all you can see is yourself in the reflection of the glass. I'm guessing a photo opportunity is the reason why a majority will want to go on it and unfortunately they will all look appalling. Is this a problem with similar attractions in other cities?

I'm glad you mentioned this! Every internal photograph I have seen looking outside the pod has a reflection of the inside!

an example:

[tweet]760801168947830784[/tweet]

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't really know how you get round this issue but I went up in the pod last week and when taking photos or videos all you can see is yourself in the reflection of the glass.
Try a polarizing filter.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here