Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Well Done Wales

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Excellent effort from Wales. Just goes to show what can be achieved by a little organisation, picking the right players for the TEAM, not just those that earn loads of money fannying around in the Prem, and a lot of togetherness and spirit. It reminds me a lot of a certain championship team we all adore....

England can learn a huge amount from them. I doubt that they will though.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I think England suffer from the seeding system too. They generally have pretty easy qualifying groups - I know they mucked it up in 2008 but the group wasn't that hard - which gives them a false sense of superiority. They're also little tested by decent teams until the knockout stages of major tournaments, which means they're not really

Not quite sure that theory holds water.I give you Germany,Italy,France and normally Spain.Always top seeds, rarely tested against other top countries but consistently perform.

Pistol Pete

Aug 15, 2015
I have rewatched the high lights again a few times this morning, what a fantastic team performance. Bale was bang on regarding his comments about Wales having more passion, they definitely have it in bundles. What a great team performance. Right now he is right also, no England player could get in the Wales team. What a wise confident and level headed chap!

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Best game of the tournament so far and Wales fully deserved their fantastic and historical win. I honestly believe they can go on and win Euro 2016 now. I've never seen a team so fired up and passionate, also believing in each other to give 100%. Whatever happens now they'll come back to a hero's welcome in front of thousands.

The late, great Gary Speed will be looking down now bursting with pride at what Wales are achieving. :angel:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
This is about as pleased as I get regarding the oppo. Really pleased for Wales and hope they go on to spank Germany on pens in the final.

One thing I noticed, they played that well without Gareth Bales being their outstanding player. Portugal have done the same without Ronaldo. Bale v Ronaldo will be interesting. Portugal are definitely beatable.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Great to watch and they have buckets of ability coupled with attitude and togetherness. Outplayed the highest ranking team in the competition, quite convincingly. Pity Ramsey was booked and that may be the determining single factor that swings the semi Portugal's way. Hope not....

English FA take note, though I somehow don't think they will.....

TNBA

TTF

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Great to watch and they have buckets of ability coupled with attitude and togetherness. Outplayed the highest ranking team in the competition, quite convincingly. Pity Ramsey was booked and that may be the determining single factor that swings the semi Portugal's way. Hope not....

English FA take note, though I somehow don't think they will.....

TNBA

TTF

I didn't think he handballed it and I still stand by that. And definitely not a booking offence.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
What hurts me so much is everything about that is so true.

What has made England so bad ?

I think two factors:

1. People seem to much more proud to be Welsh/Irish/ Scottish and this brings out much more pride in playing for the national team (Perhaps not so much in Rugby!)

2. You have to admire the coaching set up which manages to get a very well drilled team and get players to perform better for their country than for their clubs. Something England manages to the complete opposite of this.

boik

I'm going to go against the grain here. Yes, Wales played well, but it's the first time they've got so far in a Euro competition. I think that's down to Coleman. The players all knew their jobs & they played as a team.
England beat them two weeks ago. Our failure was down to the manager putting square pegs in round holes. His selections were dubious, & too much swapping around.

I think there's an element that when you're not spoilt for choice on who to pick then you tend to stick with the same few good players and so automatically develop consistency of selection and team spirit. That and the fact that Wales and the manager are generally ignored by the media so can just get on with their jobs without ignorami baying for blood at every setback.

Well done Wales.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
At least we can say we are the only team to have beaten them at The Euros :thumbsup: :lolol:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Being half Welsh, half English (although at the moment 100% Welsh) it has really brought home England's stark failure in the Euros and World Cup,not just this year, but throughout my life. I was 9 when England won the World Cup and I fondly imagined that this would be a reasonably regular occurrence, maybe not Germany/Brazil regular, but at least Italy regular. England's performance in the tournaments is shocking beyond belief even when compared with the smaller nations (new interesting fact - Wales have now won more knock-out matches in the Euro finals than England). It is hard to know how to describe it when comparing it with Germany (7 wins in Euros/WC) Italy (5), Spain (4), France (3). The consistency of this failure over time, regardless of the personnel to me means that it is the FA at fault more than the players or manager; the latter change, the structure and attitude of the FA doesn't. Time maybe for that body to vote to abolish itself and for a new governing body for English football to be created that reflects the needs of the 21st rather than the 19th century.

lions led by donkeys....springs to mind.....although the current situation could well be donkeys led by newts...!

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Unfortunately no ,I'm not too young to remember Andy Townsend the ultimate Irishman

None more Irish than Tony Cascarino, I'd say.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here