You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A friend went to Brighton station this morning, was told there were no trains and best to go to Preston Park, gets to Preston Park and was told there were no trains and best to go to Brighton. You couldn't make this up.

This derailment happened yesterday lunch time....it didn't suddenly happen this morning. Why no planing or communication or information?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It gets better. A Thameslink guy at Preston Park states no Thameslink trains will be running and to get the bus......literally as a Thameslink train pulls into the station.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
This derailment happened yesterday lunch time....it didn't suddenly happen this morning. Why no planing or communication or information?

Typical of Southern - their communication and customer service standards whenever something like this happens are shockingly bad, but of course they don't care because they know that so many people are reliant on what they laughingly call a service to get to and from work so have no practical choice but to put up with it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A friend went to Brighton station this morning, was told there were no trains and best to go to Preston Park, gets to Preston Park and was told there were no trains and best to go to Brighton. You couldn't make this up.

The local breakfast tv news said there were no trains between PP & Brighton with a replacement bus service. I've no idea of the accuracy of that statement, but that was being broadcast.

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River

Surprised to find when i got to PP that trains running reasonably. Only delay for 7am was that conductor was at Brighton station and had to wait for a replacement bus! Honestly with the amount of delay repay apps being turned on you'd think they'd cab him to PP, or at least he might check on the website and see no trains in or out of Brighton on London line.....Clueless

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The local breakfast tv news said there were no trains between PP & Brighton with a replacement bus service. I've no idea of the accuracy of that statement, but that was being broadcast.

No idea if that's accurate either, but if it is, rather than join a mile long throng for a replacement bus service, nip down London Road and get a 5 or 5A, or you can walk it in about 25 minutes.

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River

Yes and on Southern Rail website said this too. There was a replacement bus service between PP and Brighton (probably still is) and trains running 'normally' from PP to London (i.e. a bit delayed)

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
It's the same old story unfortunately, any one with a semblance of knowledge of railway operations and communications was deemed not fit for the bright new shiny railway company and managers drafted in from Tescos, B & Q, Vodafone etc who once you have an incident like this simply do not have the experience or know how to either command respect and lead the troops into battle or the knowledge to put things right quickly without causing too much inconvenience to the punters.

A few years ago this sort of thing would have been sorted in a couple of hours and the evening rush hour run normally, now it is still impacting services the next day.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Accidents happen, but as been said on here, it's the shockingly ignorant piss poor lack of communication that really grates in these situations. It's quite disgraceful.

The other issue is that when things go wrong, the fact that you have privatised operators is massively counterproductive. Take this morning - my usual Southern Service from Three Bridges to Victoria was massively delayed. It was due at Redhill at 07:22. There was however, a FCC train to Bedford which arrived at 07:18. The advice over the speaker was that passengers for Victoria should hop on and change at East Croydon. I did exactly that, and off the train went.

So it was all well and good for me but clearly not so good for anyone arriving on the platform between 07:19 and 07:21. Because this train wasn't Southern, the train wasn't held back the princely THREE minutes to accommodate those poor sods who were going to arrive in time for the severely delayed 07:22 and find themselves with a delay of at least 20 minutes when the next London bound train was due!

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
No delay repay needed then

I was clearly talking about, and to, [MENTION=38]Beach Hut[/MENTION] and his terrible sounding journey as he recognised.

He also recognised that your attempt to be snide had backfired, so well played him.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I got to BH this morning and it was chaos. All trains showed up as delayed or cancelled. I waited 30 minutes whilst two trains passed through empty and then gave up and went home. Luckily for me I can work from home when this stuff happens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here