Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
its not freedom of movement rules need to change, we need to change our law on residency to make it compatible with EU rules on freedom of movement.

And the U.K. home office has plenty of recent, and nasty and vindictive, history when it comes to changing these laws.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Currently both. Born British and European. Seems odd one can just be torn away from you.

Firstly European isn't a nationality and secondly we're leaving the EU not Europe.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Firstly European isn't a nationality.

Another important term in political science is 'nation.' A nation consists of a distinct population of people that are bound together by a common culture, history, and tradition who are typically concentrated within a specific geographic region.

It can therefore be argued “European” is a nation, and therefore a nationality.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Another important term in political science is 'nation.' A nation consists of a distinct population of people that are bound together by a common culture, history, and tradition who are typically concentrated within a specific geographic region.

It can therefore be argued “European” is a nation, and therefore a nationality.

not sure many would really. common history is about the only one that loosely applies. culture, traditions and language (oddly missed) are not at all common. "nation" is a really nebulous term that can be distorted to mean what people want, seen endless circular discussions on political forums how nation, "nation state" and "country" all intersect or dont.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
not sure many would really. common history is about the only one that loosely applies. culture, traditions and language (oddly missed) are not at all common. "nation" is a really nebulous term that can be distorted to mean what people want, seen endless circular discussions on political forums how nation, "nation state" and "country" all intersect or dont.

I agree, but in literal terms at the very least, it can be argued Europe is a nation so equally it cannot be dismissed as not being a nation...which is what [MENTION=3791]Wes[/MENTION]tdean Seagull did.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Clicking that URL triggered a warning of malware. A metaphor for the Brexit negotiations perhaps?

That's genuinely odd. My work has pretty heavy duty firewalls etc and it was fine for me (you may or may not agree with it, but it's a bona fide site).

Maybe its some kind of political filter?

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
That's genuinely odd. My work has pretty heavy duty firewalls etc and it was fine for me (you may or may not agree with it, but it's a bona fide site).

Maybe its some kind of political filter?

Having just tried it from a mobile device, your link works fine. Clearly my employers - North American - have set some aggressive filtering policies which I wasn't previously aware of!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Just going to leave this here and run away:

https://thebrexitsyndicate.com/

I'm not surprised you ran away.So would I if I saw that-makes Jess Phillips look human.

nutter.png

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
As for all this old garbage about us having to pay extortion to the EU,what a load of crap.Parliament have not authorised the payment yet,so they can still whistle for it if a deal ain't done by October.:whistle:

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I'm not surprised you ran away.So would I if I saw that-makes Jess Phillips look human.

View attachment 99019

I already had a sense you were a bit of an arse, but that comment puts you squarely in the 'pathetic misogynist c*nt' bracket.

Want to post a picture of yourself, so we can all judge your arguments based on how attractive we consider you to be?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I already had a sense you were a bit of an arse, but that comment puts you squarely in the 'pathetic misogynist c*nt' bracket.

Want to post a picture of yourself, so we can all judge your arguments based on how attractive we consider you to be?

Who are you,Caroline Lucas?What is wrong with professional people dressing smartly,like Margarethe Vestager,instead of looking like a rag-market reject,after all,they get paid enough.Your comments reflect what you are like,without the need for bad language.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
As for all this old garbage about us having to pay extortion to the EU,what a load of crap.Parliament have not authorised the payment yet,so they can still whistle for it if a deal ain't done by October.:whistle:

"Why don't we just boycott the payment?"

80e5fde374a21fe249956da1f2271076.jpg

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Watched some sectoral representatives give evidence to the Select committee for Brexit. As each went into detail of the likely impacts of Brexit on their 'service' (Broadcasting, City of London, Insurance, IT) what came across was the sheer weight of technical and practical issues that will need to be confronted. Literally nobody could have foreseen the complications and snags that await on many levels. It was 100% negative.

Same old Establishment lies or sensible evidence-based analysis from those who know?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Watched some sectoral representatives give evidence to the Select committee for Brexit. As each went into detail of the likely impacts of Brexit on their 'service' (Broadcasting, City of London, Insurance, IT) what came across was the sheer weight of technical and practical issues that will need to be confronted. Literally nobody could have foreseen the complications and snags that await on many levels. It was 100% negative.

Same old Establishment lies or sensible evidence-based analysis from those who know?

The last 2 years has exposed the widespread ignorance across Westminster as to how the EU works, how it thinks, the core values, the red lines.

It is just plain embarrassing to listen to newly-appointed Raab and Hunt lecture Europe on how they must be more accommodating towards Brexit when both men are only in place as a result of the UK government being split over this issue for the duration of the talks.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The last 2 years has exposed the widespread ignorance across Westminster as to how the EU works, how it thinks, the core values, the red lines.

It is just plain embarrassing to listen to newly-appointed Raab and Hunt lecture Europe on how they must be more accommodating towards Brexit when both men are only in place as a result of the UK government being split over this issue for the duration of the talks.

A bit like the EU lecturing us you mean. It's great to be giving some back. EU worried about losing their blood money

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
So the White Paper today on the EU Withdrawal Agreement Implementation Bill reveals that the Withdrawal Act, that was passed last week, will now need amending to include the 1972 European Communities Act, meaning when we 'leave' in March next year, the Communities Act will still apply in The UK despite being repealed when we 'leave' in March and we'll have all the obligations of being an EU member, including EU law still applying here through to December 2020, despite having left. (Assuming we don't have an extension to that date because obviously absolutely everything will be ready and all agreed and in place by then that needs to be :rolleyes: )

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here