Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tracey Crouch

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's a huge topic, and at the very least the resignation will put the issue right back centre stage where it should be. Studies have shown a link between Fixed Odds Betting Terminal machines in bookies and a descent into problem gambling, which again statistically has a disproportionate effect on those in society least able to absorb the losses.

The focus on these particular machines and the £100 down to £2 stake does ignore all the other similar machines in arcades/adult gaming centres. If there has been a mistake in the strategy, it should have been wider because as others have said the alternatives for problem gamblers are there and easy to find.

I have seen at first hand the power of the bookmaking lobby lobbying government, not just on this but other previous issues like the Betting Levy reform. They can be very persuasive, and obviously being involved in sport they get to entertain at high-profile prestigious events, plus they contribute a lot to the Exchequer, a reality they wield like a club.

Many of those working for the bookmakers are decent people, and a lot of fun to work with. But the decision on how big an issue problem gambling is, and the lengths we need to go to in order to combat it, have to ultimately come from outside the bookmakers because they made £1.7billion profits a year from the FOBTs alone, forget everything else. it is a society thing, protecting the vulnerable, and if you are making that much money from them you have a clear conflict of interest from doing what is right for society. We don't want what results from problem gambling.

Having spoken to a few privately they know change is coming. Much like tobacco sponsorship, I can see within 5 years (and maybe sooner) advertising for gambling being banned on TV, the bookies also fear that, and the current TV ad blitz - which I imagine we would all agree is way too much - is an attempt to get as much in as possible before it is taken away from them.

Last edited:

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
No one puts a gun to these people’s heads and forces them in the bookies, bunch of thickos trying to beat a software program deserve all they get. And that’s from someone who likes a gamble.

Couldn't agree more. Nobody makes you play those machines, take some responsibility as an adult for ya own actions. Same way if you drink too much or are obese, it's ya own fault not the pubs and fast food chains. I speak as someone who loves a drink a bet and a large doner and who lost my Dad through alcoholism.

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
Couldn't agree more. Nobody makes you play those machines, take some responsibility as an adult for ya own actions. Same way if you drink too much or are obese, it's ya own fault not the pubs and fast food chains. I speak as someone who loves a drink a bet and a large doner and who lost my Dad through alcoholism.

Have you considered a career as a Mental Health Counsellor ?

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Have you considered a career as a Mental Health Counsellor ?

No but I'd be pretty well equipped to be one having grown up in the real world and who still inhabits it. I'd be far better equipped than some trendy liberal type who has 'taken a course in counselling' who is full of all the latest buzz words but who wouldn't know what real life is.

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
No but I'd be pretty well equipped to be one having grown up in the real world and who still inhabits it. I'd be far better equipped than some trendy liberal type who has 'taken a course in counselling' who is full of all the latest buzz words but who wouldn't know what real life is.

Yeah you'd be great, certainly contribute in helping the government cut the mental heath budget

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Every aspect of the Tracey Crouch thing feels like fake political news, from her resigning because her valuable reforms have been put back a mere six months to Labour deputy Tom Watson falling over himself to heap praise on our Trace. None if it rings very true. All political posturing IMHO.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I was at a meeting a few months ago which included a presentation by someone who works for the Methodist Church who used to be a member of the Government's Gambling Commission. Her take on this, put simply, was that:
1. the Betting Companies are limited in how many of these machines they can have in each shop.
2. They are very profitable.
3. So they just open more shops to have more machines.

But Why put temptation in people's way?

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
I was at a meeting a few months ago which included a presentation by someone who works for the Methodist Church who used to be a member of the Government's Gambling Commission. Her take on this, put simply, was that:
1. the Betting Companies are limited in how many of these machines they can have in each shop.
2. They are very profitable.
3. So they just open more shops to have more machines.

But Why put temptation in people's way?

How about just resisting the temptation? Simple.

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
Resorting to insults because I have an opposing view to your one is pathetic. Nobody makes you play those machines, instead of blaming the bookies blame ya self.

I don't think that comment was because of your opposing view, it was more to do with your ignorance in relation to an illness, you said your dad died because of alcoholism so you should have a better understanding of how an illness can effect someones life, or did you not have an ounce of empathy for your dad, was it his own fault for being an alcoholic? did you tell him, ' dad resist the temptation, simple'

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

Temptation comes in many forms, as does financial ruin.

Are the underlying motivations of those seeking financial reward from gambling much different from those seeking the ego boosting reward of driving a car they can’t afford?

The consequences of both have a negative impact on the individuals, their families and wider society.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money...-oblivious-costs-risks-car-finance-deals.html

I think people spunking money they haven’t got with the banks and other consumer credit organisations are a far greater threat.

But then to tackle that problem responsibly there would probably be a recession. So FOBTs it is and an exercise in distracting the masses from the real problems.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
I don't think that comment was because of your opposing view, it was more to do with your ignorance in relation to an illness, you said your dad died because of alcoholism so you should have a better understanding of how an illness can effect someones life, or did you not have an ounce of empathy for your dad, was it his own fault for being an alcoholic? did you tell him, ' dad resist the temptation, simple'

Alcoholism and gambling isn't an illness. Addiction isn't illness. My Dad never sought empathy or sympathy, I just accepted that's what he wanted to do. Pointless telling him to stop or even cut down.

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
Alcoholism and gambling isn't an illness. Addiction isn't illness. My Dad never sought empathy or sympathy, I just accepted that's what he wanted to do. Pointless telling him to stop or even cut down.

................................,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,............................................. .....
...........................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,..........................................
......................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,......................................
..................,-*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.\... ..................................
................;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\....................................
................\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/...........\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,................................
.................\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*.............`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,...............................
...................\llllllllllll,-~*........................)_-\..*`*;..)..............................
.....................\,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................../...............................
.....................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;.................../.\..............................
.................../.../..../..../..,-,..*~,.`*~*..................*...\.......................... ...
...................|.../.../..../.*`...\................................)....)¯`~,........... .........
...................|./..../..../........).........)`*~-,............../.....|..)...`~-,..............
.................././.../....,*`-,.....`-,....*`....,---......\...../...../..|..........¯```*~-,,,,
.................(............)`*~-,.....`*`.,-~*.,-*.......|.../..../..../...............\..........
..................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*.............|.,*...,*....|.................\.........
......................*,.........`-,....)-,..................,-*`...,-*.....(`-,..............\........
........................f`-,........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*.....,-*......|....`-,...............\.......

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Resorting to insults because I have an opposing view to your one is pathetic. Nobody makes you play those machines, instead of blaming the bookies blame ya self.
Given your "view" is contrary to untold research on the causes and treatment of addiction, I think tit was very, very mild. Do you believe that all alcoholics, drug addicts, gambling addicts, people with OCD and a myriad of other addictions can just resist the temptation?

And who used the terms "snowflakes" and "trendy liberals" to describe people with different opinions to yours?

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Given your "view" is contrary to untold research on the causes and treatment of addiction, I think tit was very, very mild. Do you believe that all alcoholics, drug addicts, gambling addicts, people with OCD and a myriad of other addictions can just resist the temptation?

And who used the terms "snowflakes" and "trendy liberals" to describe people with different opinions to yours?

I don't believe addiction is an illness. I'm entitled to my opinion. My Dad wasn't ill he just enjoyed a drink and a bet as well. I fully understand alcoholism not only because of my Dad but suffice to say I love a drink as well probably too much.

I didn't use the term 'snowflakes' and 'trendy liberals' when I addressed your previous post.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012

For some, yes. But not for others.

I am lucky enough not to suffer from addictive tendencies. The main temptation in my life is the box of Heroes chocolates in the Kitchen which was bought for Halloween but then no one turned up.

If people do tend towards addiction, they deserve support.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here