Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
So if you are a commuter, as long as the trains run on time, you are prepared for these people to be treated badly and/or lose their jobs?

Must be other ways to totally stuff Southern up without constantly messing with peoples life's .

Agree with the strikes BTW but they've lost so much support for this from what I hear on trains etc

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Must be other ways to totally stuff Southern up without constantly messing with peoples life's .

Agree with the strikes BTW but they've lost so much support for this from what I hear on trains etc

A horrible thing to do maybe, but ultimately I would have thought that getting into commuters faces and making their journies as difficult as possible, or even IMpossible,would have the greatest effect, and possibly force Govia's, or the governments hand.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
So if you are a commuter, as long as the trains run on time, you are prepared for these people to be treated badly and/or lose their jobs?

That's a very forward statement from a fellow lower west stander if I may say so! lol

I'm past caring tbh.

I can see arguments for both sides and am fed up of being caught in the middle of a political spat.

I don't think either the government or unions give a stuff about us - we're just the punters.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I'm past caring tbh.

I can see arguments for both sides and am fed up of being caught in the middle of a political spat.

I don't think either the government or unions give a stuff about us - we're just the punters.

my cousin works on the railways....morale is very low , continued redundancies at ground level but no cost cutting higher up the chain , he frequently does 14 hour shifts...not because he wants to but because he is a signal man he cannot leave until he is sent a replacement.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

the strike isn't over being mistreated or losing jobs though. if anything they are being asked to do less.

i know full well that the longer term objective is to lose the jobs through natural losses, but the union is making no real case to ensure that doesn't happen, just battling over the role change.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
the strike isn't over being mistreated or losing jobs though. if anything they are being asked to do less.

i know full well that the longer term objective is to lose the jobs through natural losses, but the union is making no real case to ensure that doesn't happen, just battling over the role change.

You keep coming out with the same rubbish

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I'm past caring tbh.

Indeed. Frankly I have lost patience with tho whole lot. Rip up the franchise, re nationalise, SACK the lot of them (managers who know eff all) and start again. Worth the pain.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
You keep coming out with the same rubbish

which part? please correct me as far as i'm aware that is the current state of the dispute. are jobs going imminently or is there another aspect to the dispute that im overlooking?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

That's a very forward statement from a fellow lower west stander if I may say so! lol

Looking at the other side of the coin though, how many train commuters have lost their jobs because of the turmoil, who haven't got unions protection.

albionite

May 20, 2009
which part? please correct me as far as i'm aware that is the current state of the dispute. are jobs going imminently or is there another aspect to the dispute that im overlooking?

Pretty much everything you say. Are you sure you don't work for daft?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Pretty much everything you say. Are you sure you don't work for daft?

again, please correct me. i understand the dispute is about GTR's wish to end Driver and Conductor Operation and extend Driver Only Operation to all services. what else have i said its about? or what else have i missed?

i was only challenging the misrepresentation of the dispute as relating to poor treatment and job losses. the RMT dont mention either of these issues.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
A horrible thing to do maybe, but ultimately I would have thought that getting into commuters faces and making their journies as difficult as possible, or even IMpossible,would have the greatest effect, and possibly force Govia's, or the governments hand.

Well that's worked well so far ...... not ! This a fight between the unions, TOCs and government and not one of them gives a single toss about the customers caught in the middle. It's like we've rolled back to the 70s.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Well that's worked well so far ...... not ! This a fight between the unions, TOCs and government and not one of them gives a single toss about the customers caught in the middle. It's like we've rolled back to the 70s.

Your reference to the 1970s is more about the unions supposedly politicising themselves and wanting to cripple the country through Marxist revolution. It's nothing like that today. Nowadays, it's about the government wanting to destroy the unions, and erode workers' rights (ref. Theresa May while Home Secretary). That's how it's going to be from here on in.

Remember, this dispute originated within government's intention of fighting the unions, while assuming passengers - who are merely collateral damage - would side with the former.

This one wasn't conceived by the staff nor unions and is all totally unnecessary in the first place.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Yes.

The government, and their friends in the tame media, are linking the dispute with Govia's farcical running of the network. Four days' industrial action (so far), and a small increase in sickness should not have meant tens, possibly hundred of thousands of trains being cancelled this year.

The two issues are - for the most part - separate, though the government, the TOCs and many aspects of the media are blaming the cancellations on the staff taking industrial action, which is ludicrous.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Well whatever the reasons for the proposed industrial action, the aim is the same, to get unions demands met.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
again, please correct me. i understand the dispute is about GTR's wish to end Driver and Conductor Operation and extend Driver Only Operation to all services. what else have i said its about? or what else have i missed?

i was only challenging the misrepresentation of the dispute as relating to poor treatment and job losses. the RMT dont mention either of these issues.

TSSA ballots GTR staff on strike action
3 August 2016

New strike threat at Southern over ticket office closures.

The TSSA rail union is to ballot over 250 station staff members on strike action at the troubled GTR franchise, it was announced today.

The union is in dispute with the owner of the Southern railway over plans to close ticket offices and axe staff. Under amended plans, 34 offices will close altogether and 49 will only open during peak hours with 47 jobs being cut.

TSSA leader Manuel Cortes said the two week ballot would start on August 10 and any action in September would be co-ordinated with "our sister rail unions to maximise the impact".

He added:"The GTR franchise has let down the travelling public and its staff and we would like to see it stripped off its franchise as soon as possible because it is no longer fit for purpose.

"Passengers may have to suffer short term pain to see a long term gain in the shape of new owners, hopefully Transport for London if Ministers start seeing sense."

He said plans to move staff out of ticket offices to act as "Station Hosts" had not been thought through. As well as handling large amounts of cash, they would also be in charge of operating gate lines, making a recipe for confusion.

"We have tried to negotiate on these ideas but GTR just seem to be making it up as they go along," he added.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here