Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League Experience

Green Gull

Feb 25, 2018
It's been more enjoyable than I expected. We're nearly in April and have only lost at home to City, Chelsea and Liverpool. That's some feat for a newly promoted club.
Beating Arsenal will live long in the memory and the quality of football we now play is on another level compared to last season. I thought we might be the whipping boy's back in August but we've more than held our own.

Have only made it to 3 away games, Watford, Chelsea and Newcastle & i didn't really enjoy any of them (Watford was ok I guess). From what others have said, away games haven't been as much fun which you can understand seeing as we've hardly scored any goals or picked up many points. That's to be expected in this league though.

I do miss the annual visit to Craven Cottage, the absolute best away day around. Hope we stay up and Fulham nick promotion.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jimmy Grimble

One of my main gripes is the pub/travel to ground side of away games. In the Championship and below you could rock up in most towns and just go to a few pubs before easily getting a cab or walking to the ground at about 2.45/50. This year it feels like you've had to plan which pubs you can go to and the time you have to leave (much closer to 2 o'clock than 3 o'clock) just to get to the ground with no worries.

It is only a minor gripe but pre-match beers in the lower leagues seemed to have a lot more spontaneity and ease.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Agreed. Ignoring relegation possibilities, I’m far more likely to return to Swansea, Bournemouth, Stoke, West Ham, Leicester and West Brom ([emoji23][emoji23]) than Man U, Spurs or Arsenal.

Having only been to 4 away games this season I’m not qualified to appraise the experience as a whole. Spurs = boring. Saints = can’t remember [emoji482][emoji482][emoji482]. Hammers = hilarious fun but dampened by a rubbish stadium. Stoke = Great atmosphere in our end an I’m told much more fun than any of the top 6. When Stoke make a noise it hurts your ears.

I’ve really enjoyed watching the team being tested in this league, but if we’re still battling relegation in 2 seasons I’d rather we were playing well in the championship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Enjoyed it but away games appear sterile now

West Ham steward & Brighton fan in front of me appraising the London Stadium:

Seagull: It’s crap here bro.
Steward: I know, not our stadium though is it, we’re just squatting for a while. It’s basically our Withdean.
Seagull: Yeah, a sh1tty athletics track with a crap atmosphere...

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
It's been more enjoyable than I expected. We're nearly in April and have only lost at home to City, Chelsea and Liverpool. That's some feat for a newly promoted club.
Beating Arsenal will live long in the memory and the quality of football we now play is on another level compared to last season. I thought we might be the whipping boy's back in August but we've more than held our own.

Have only made it to 3 away games, Watford, Chelsea and Newcastle & i didn't really enjoy any of them (Watford was ok I guess). From what others have said, away games haven't been as much fun which you can understand seeing as we've hardly scored any goals or picked up many points. That's to be expected in this league though.

I do miss the annual visit to Craven Cottage, the absolute best away day around. Hope we stay up and Fulham nick promotion.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Fulham away is THE BEST! The game after Hyppia left, when Nathan was in charge between Xmas & new year is by far my favourite Albion away memory!

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
One of my main gripes is the pub/travel to ground side of away games. In the Championship and below you could rock up in most towns and just go to a few pubs before easily getting a cab or walking to the ground at about 2.45/50. This year it feels like you've had to plan which pubs you can go to and the time you have to leave (much closer to 2 o'clock than 3 o'clock) just to get to the ground with no worries.

It is only a minor gripe but pre-match beers in the lower leagues seemed to have a lot more spontaneity and ease.
Does it? With the exception of Man United and Spurs i don't think it's been any different in that regard.

Tbh, our style of football away from home hasn't hoped makes away games any better. But the beers have been class, as have some of the grounds bar atmosphere.

Home games have been amazing, only disappointment has been the away crowd. Even when thunping us Chelsea and Liverpool fans were crap. Very odd, I thought the big teams were supposed to be silent at home but brilliant away.

All in all though I'll be gutted if we go down. The pressure and intensity of the Prem games is miles beyond the Championship even if the standard isn't much different in the bottom half.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Overall very positive, just a taster season, with miracles worked by Hughton to get us a points tally beyond our wildest dreams. Many memorable home games. Excellent MOTD coverage, when compared to the C5 dross.

Admittedly I didn’t go to any of the fruitless away games, so didn’t endure the despondancy of the results, time lost and money lost; which gives a more gloomy view of parts of the season to some of those who travelled.

Elated for TB more than anyone that we’ve done well, as the Championship is financially unsustainable for the club.

Jimmy Grimble

Does it? With the exception of Man United and Spurs i don't think it's been any different in that regard.

Tbh, our style of football away from home hasn't hoped makes away games any better. But the beers have been class, as have some of the grounds bar atmosphere.

Home games have been amazing, only disappointment has been the away crowd. Even when thunping us Chelsea and Liverpool fans were crap. Very odd, I thought the big teams were supposed to be silent at home but brilliant away.

All in all though I'll be gutted if we go down. The pressure and intensity of the Prem games is miles beyond the Championship even if the standard isn't much different in the bottom half.

Perhaps it's just been the bigger clubs where it's been like that. United, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea felt like it but so did Everton and West Ham. Even Leicester which is generally a good away game had queues for about 25 mins to get in the ground (think that may have been a one off though).

West Brom and Stoke did have a better feel.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Perhaps it's just been the bigger clubs where it's been like that. United, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea felt like it but so did Everton and West Ham. Even Leicester which is generally a good away game had queues for about 25 mins to get in the ground (think that may have been a one off though).

West Brom and Stoke did have a better feel.
To be fair West Ham and Everton aren't really near anything and you're right about the Leicester queue, that was ridiculous. Spent 25 mins in a queue, went for a piss when we finally got in and missed us go a goal down.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
How have I found it? Bloody exhausting!!!!

Only missed 4 games and should be at the rest so for me, after 40 years of going, it has been by far and away the most prolific in terms of games attended. Normally only do 6 or 7 away games but having found ourselves in the top tier of loyalty points, pretty much forced (I used that word loosely) to keep going.

As others have said, the biggest disappointments have been the big away games where the atmosphere is stifled by tourists. Probably only to be expected when the die hards of those clubs aren't interesting in watch their team play us and shove their tickets on their respective ticket exchanges or sell to others. Hopefully not the shape of things to come at the Amex now that it appears our STHs can exchange as and when they feel like it. The other disappointment was losing to crappy goals against both Spurs and Utd.

One of the most enjoyable moments was when little old Brighton made most of the West Ham crowd depart at about 60minutes!

Arsenal was, of course, a highlight and hoping we can repeat that against Spurs and Utd, we owe them.

Matty Ryan certainly has won over the crowd (and deservedly so) following his opening game howler. All the other newbies have settled in but would like to see more of Loccadia before the season's out and Suttner (my preference at LB). Hoping Propper gets a goal before the season's out.

So, pretty enjoyable on the whole. We've set a benchmark and now need to raise the bar for next season (assuming that we get the necessary against Leicester and Uddersfield).

Have promised the wife that we will ease off the away games next year (but let's wait and see!). Fortunately she's not on this forum.

D

Deleted member 18477

The Amex is on the biggest sporting game series ever made...
Tony Bloom has now lived his dream... And so have many fans thanks to him...
We're 100 million pounds richer a season...
We were premier league ready, we're now premier league...

There are highs and lows spanning years or even decades for football teams. When we won league 1 the season before moving to the Amex it was a special season, last season was special, this season was special, staying in the football league was special.

Who knows what will happen next season or in 10 seasons. Look at Portsmouth, Coventry, Leeds, Bradford, Leicester, Man City, Arsenal - did any of them predict what will be... I'm just enjoying the ride and the new experience of the premier league. If that carries on great, if it doesn't oh well we've had special seasons in the divisions lower as well. Of course playing at the highest level should be the target for every club all the time.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Very enjoyable overall, especially home games all of which have seemed like major events, which wasn't always the case in the FL. Have done 9 away games.

Have enjoyed other teams' fans underestimating us and the whole 'we should be beating teams like Brighton' phenomenon.

Agree with the view that it's harder to rock up at pubs nearby and leave at 245. But planned pub crawls through the West End (Spurs) and Wapping (West Ham) made for great days out. The latter the highlight of the season for me, although the noise at the end of the Arsenal game was unreal.

Hoping and praying for the chance to do it all again next season. I've always said that the novelty value of PL away games will wear off (as it did in 80/81), so should be easier for all to get away tix next season should we stay up.

Best pub? Magic Rock brewery in Huddersfield although special mention for the Prospect of Whitby in Wapping which, despite being a tourist trap, is well worth a visit.

PG

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Half Man Half Biscuit

Oct 10, 2003
Hove
Unlike the Championship where games come thick and fast each game in the Premier League feels like an event with a huge build up to every one. I've got cousins out in Spain who were only half interested in the Albion before and now since our profile is a thousand times bigger they know all our players by name. Aware that it's our first season up here so this may very well be the champagne campaign but a continued improvement of the squad in every window - like we've been doing - and a chairman we know we can trust who knows where this journey will end?

If you want a reminder of our first Premier League season so far in photos have a look at these: BHAFC 2017/18 season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here