Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I will actually be in Brighton on 20th June, so The Weakest Link is tempting...

I do enjoy a relay race. Has anyone here ever done a Ragnar Relay? They're mainly in the US, but there's a couple in the UK now and I'm going to be doing my second Canadian one at the start of June. A 12 person relay (3 c10k legs each) from outside Toronto to Niagara Falls, I'm really looking forward to it. Last year I did the trail running event which involved running 3 loops rather than point-to-point. The 1am run was the highlight, there's something very satisfying about running through the trees in pitch black night with barely a sound to be heard.

By the way, is there a NSC Strava group?

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
I’m tempted to start using strava but have over 600 runs logged with Runkeeper since 2010 and I don’t want to lose that. Is strava that much better than runkeeper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I’m tempted to start using strava but have over 600 runs logged with Runkeeper since 2010 and I don’t want to lose that. Is strava that much better than runkeeper?

It looks like you can transfer your runs across from Runkeeper to Strava

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216917737-Moving-your-activity-history-from-Runkeeper-to-Strava

25 at a time though, so it might take a little while.

Strava isn't much better than other apps in terms in tracking your runs. I sync my runs from Garmin and I actually get more stats from their own app. The BIG thing Strava offers is the community side of things. Most of my running friends use Strava and it's great to be able to keep track of each other's runs. I also like the league tables for the different sections. It's really good for comparing yourself against other people and it helps bring a bit of competition to every run.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

When I first started running, I used Runkeeper. I prefer Strava for the social aspect, and it's much better used. Having used both, I would recommend Strava as THE leading app in the market.

If you can transfer them, then best of both worlds!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
When I first started running, I used Runkeeper. I prefer Strava for the social aspect, and it's much better used. Having used both, I would recommend Strava as THE leading app in the market.

If you can transfer them, then best of both worlds!

Agree. I’ve used garmin connect, movescount (Suunto equivalent) and Strava, now rarely look at anything other than Strava. Worth considering Strava Premium too - only £40/year and much more data provided.

Incidentally my coach tracks all his runners through Strava too.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The loneliness of the long distance runner, a film of the Alan Sillitoe short story, is on Latest TV channel 7 tomorrow night around 11.30pm. A gritty Northern drama from 1962. Worth a watch just to see what running was like when [MENTION=33116]Garry Nelson's teacher[/MENTION] started out. Alf Tupper from The Victor comic style of running. Set your recorders.

You perverts will probably prefer the early 70's X-Rated Russ Meyer cult film Return of the Valley of the Dolls that is on just before.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Four miler on Wednesday followed by a five miler today, both along the front at under 10 min miles for the first time since return from injury. The old pace isn't there yet but I can feel the progress and have dropped a few pounds already. Next target is an 8 miler on Sunday. So here's a question (briefly discussed with [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] on Sunday).

I am entered in the Brighton Half. I have three Sunday long runs plus a couple of mid-week training runs every week between now and then. It doesn't leave any time for tapering but if I get to, say, ten or eleven miles long runs the week before should I jog it round and hope for the best? I really don't want to bin off another bib but I appreciate I'm undercooked. Head says don't go anywhere near it, heart says race, race, race!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Four miler on Wednesday followed by a five miler today, both along the front at under 10 min miles for the first time since return from injury. The old pace isn't there yet but I can feel the progress and have dropped a few pounds already. Next target is an 8 miler on Sunday. So here's a question (briefly discussed with [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] on Sunday).

I am entered in the Brighton Half. I have three Sunday long runs plus a couple of mid-week training runs every week between now and then. It doesn't leave any time for tapering but if I get to, say, ten or eleven miles long runs the week before should I jog it round and hope for the best? I really don't want to bin off another bib but I appreciate I'm undercooked. Head says don't go anywhere near it, heart says race, race, race!

Why don’t you treat it as a training run and if after say 10 miles you got anything left go to the finish.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Why don’t you treat it as a training run and if after say 10 miles you got anything left go to the finish.

I think that's very sensible. I'm not a sensible runner though, I will set off at 8 min miles chasing anything that moves and be completely f***ed by 7 miles. Just ask [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION]

If I can reign it in that's the way forward though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think that's very sensible. I'm not a sensible runner though, I will set off at 8 min miles chasing anything that moves and be completely f***ed by 7 miles. Just ask [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION]

You can’t [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

******* caught me though. Still having nightmares about that fateful day you lumbered past me........:laugh:
I reckon you can run up to 10 miles in training and do it OK at a steady pace. If you decide to bail out at the last minute, I'll be happy to purchase the bib number.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Good shot. Where's that from? Didn't know the A team have their own photographer.
Hadn't [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] run a 145 mile Ultra on the Grand Union Canal the week before?

Something like that. It was great to get some speedy running in after months and months of plodding. That last corner over taking that team with ease was a real highlight..

Not sure I can make it this year..I’ll see what I can do. When is it?

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Glad to say I am back in the game. I entered this thread back in May when I started couch to 5k but knackered my Achilles in week 2 and it took until December to get fixed!! Started again a couple of weeks ago having acquired a pair of £140 Asics running shoes after a gait test and am determined to attempt my first park run when I’m ready

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton

GDC Parkrun at Preston Park tomorrow...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here