Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Conservatory Roof Insulation

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
My neighbour had her inside cons roof insulated and over boarded for a whopping £4k from a company with a sales rep and a wonderful glossy brochure.
She had a quote to get the roof tiles with light weight tiles made of aluminium, was around £15k.

It's not a big conservatory.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
blinds for summer and a gas heater for winter does the same for a few hundred (though the blinds can be expensive if you have an awkward shape or large). insulating the roof seems to defeat the point of having a room to enjoy sunlight.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Getting ours done by Greenspace in the next few weeks. Guaranteed to make the conservatory usable in summer and winter.

We had them round recently and the system seems pretty good but the sales guy really put us off. He was a nice enough bloke but wanted us to justify why they should accept us as a client. It was all about how it should be right for both of us but was a sales technique that got my back up.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patreon
Aug 7, 2003
We had them round recently and the system seems pretty good but the sales guy really put us off. He was a nice enough bloke but wanted us to justify why they should accept us as a client. It was all about how it should be right for both of us but was a sales technique that got my back up.

I agree the sales pitch was a pain, and unnecessary for a good product, so I told him to cut to the chase and get to the best price, as that was all that interested us.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thermal heat loss in a domestic building is thought to break down something like 40% windows, doors and floor, 35% through walls, 25% through the roof.

For a conservatory, the floor is unlikely to have been insulated, neither have the walls (if there are any).

If you're putting an investment into the roof, you could upgrade the floor with a thin insulation such as Kingspan Optim-R, and any dwarf walls under windows with an insulated plasterboard laminate.

It would seem a big investment to only do the roof when that is probably only accounting for 25% of the heat loss.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I agree the sales pitch was a pain, and unnecessary for a good product, so I told him to cut to the chase and get to the best price, as that was all that interested us.

He made us fill out a questionnaire about how we could promote them, how many customers we had on our business database and how else we would get leads for them. We would have to have a board outside promoting them for a period of x weeks etc etc. It felt like we were the ones selling ourselves to them and not the other way round so it was a no from me

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patreon
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
He made us fill out a questionnaire about how we could promote them, how many customers we had on our business database and how else we would get leads for them. We would have to have a board outside promoting them for a period of x weeks etc etc. It felt like we were the ones selling ourselves to them and not the other way round so it was a no from me

Don't like the sound of that. Was one of the products I was looking at too.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patreon
Aug 7, 2003
I think the product is pretty good actually so maybe worth seeing them as the sales technique may be different but at least you will be prepared

Technically the product is excellent. Their surveyor spent 6 hours measuring for each panel to ensure a perfect fit, so the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. Our roof needs replacing as there is moisture between the layers, so I just let him do his spiel and get to the best price, which in all honesty I found acceptable for providing a room with all year usage. Funnily enough at the beginning of his talk he mentioned their turnover and number of roofs installed, so I had a good idea of an average price. The final offered price came within £200 of this figure.

Poole Horn

Jun 30, 2017
Thermal heat loss in a domestic building is thought to break down something like 40% windows, doors and floor, 35% through walls, 25% through the roof.

For a conservatory, the floor is unlikely to have been insulated, neither have the walls (if there are any).

If you're putting an investment into the roof, you could upgrade the floor with a thin insulation such as Kingspan Optim-R, and any dwarf walls under windows with an insulated plasterboard laminate.

It would seem a big investment to only do the roof when that is probably only accounting for 25% of the heat loss.

Big difference between a house roof and conservatory roof. House roof has a ceiling with insulation laid over it, conservatory roof is just glass. The heat loss through the roof of a conservatory would be closer to 60%.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Big difference between a house roof and conservatory roof. House roof has a ceiling with insulation laid over it, conservatory roof is just glass. The heat loss through the roof of a conservatory would be closer to 60%.

No, those figures are uninsulated percentages. So a sheet of plasterboard and a roof tile which will likely have less thermal performance than a polycarbonate conservatory roof.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
And the actual difference is..........? Apart from £20k.

Proper walls/roof with insulation, double glazing, and it cost nowhere near £20k, although North Wales prices may be lower than the SE.

It’s still being built but you can get the idea.

a56451cd4e12b302ab3cea12563a77a8.jpg

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Proper walls/roof with insulation, double glazing, and it cost nowhere near £20k, although North Wales prices may be lower than the SE.

It’s still being built but you can get the idea.

a56451cd4e12b302ab3cea12563a77a8.jpg

Otherwise known as an extension?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here