Sofa Advice

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
My number one sofa buying tip:

Leather is not leather! You think you're getting cow (or similar) skin, but instead the leather have been treated with chemicals to make it expand, and then it's been been sliced into 10 pieces like wafer thin ham - or you get the off-cuts, which have been stuck in a machine and minced up with glue and then sprayed onto a sofa. You can look online about the naming standards for these 'leather' options.

Worst sofas I've ever bought were some 'leather' ones from Furniture Village. The 'leather' just fell off. I googled it and saw plenty of others with the same problem. Terrible company IMO.

Interesting. I pointed the OP to M&S or JL. Are their cheaper leather sofas also "leather" too?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Last edited:

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
Not sure how long you've had it, but my parents bought one from there about 3-4 years ago and it's absolutely crap now.

They actually got one from M&S a little while after which has worn far better.

Our old ones that lasted 10 years was from M and S and the other was Ikea, they have both taken some battering over time.

Leather, fake or not isn't happening as Mrs Badger hates it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Our old ones that lasted 10 years was from M and S and the other was Ikea, they have both taken some battering over time.

The IKEA one is probably a standard model, that was most likely around 10 years ago. If the basic frame is still fine, you can completely refurbish it with cushions and covers etc. for a major saving on buying a new sofa. either from IKEA itself, or from a spin-off Swedish company that will provide you with an astounding array of non-standard IKEA covers for standard models. Or even from ebay. For example...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/2723...=1006565&device=c&campaignid=738225731&crdt=0

Love IKEA, me :love:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I always seem to go out on limb on recommendation threads. Oh well

My tip is buy online from Nabru. Design it to fit your space. Guaranteed to get it through the door. Replace the covers, replace any broken parts. Take it apart to decorate. Comfortable and durable.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
DFS - we bought a plain fabric covered sofa from them, which has been great.

BUT DON'T FALL FOR THE SALES CRAP ABOUT SIGNING FOR THEIR RIP-OFF FABRIC PROTECTION & CHECK THE FINAL PAPERWORK YOU SIGN. THE SALESMAN SLYLY SNEAKED IN A TICK FOR FABRIC PROTECTION WHEN TOLD NOT TO, ON A FELLOW ALBION SUPPORTERS PURCHASE FORM.

Sofa Workshop of Tunbridge Wells and other locations. We also have sofas from them. More expensive but great quality and interest free credit.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Just arranged to have a DFS one returned due to it falling apart within 6 weeks. Went sofa shopping today and fell in love with a La-Z-Boy at ScS, didn't like their sales people though so ended up walking out. The search continues.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Another vote for IKEA, but don't wait until they open in Lancing! On a serious note, the after sales service from IKEA is great. Not connected to sofas but fittings for a sink unit broke after 3 years, into the local store and they didn't have the spares. As it was 3 years old I was expecting to pay or replace, but no, they took my address here in Spain and posted the complete fitting kit directly from Sweden and it arrived within 7 days free of charge. Amazing service this day and age.

boik

FULL03.jpg

I've been looking for a camouflaged sofa, but couldn't find one!

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
We bought two 3-seaters from Tetrad nearly 22 years ago.

It seemed like a ludicrous extravagance at the time but............

- The covers are removeable/washable and we've replaced the covers once
- Apart from a little bit of work on the springs we haven't had any problems
- Four children have given them a hammering

and they are still going strong.

Jul 7, 2003
If you're still in Yapton I would suggest a trip down to Reynolds in Bognor - a proper old furniture shop.

The only thing I can I add to the DFS debate is a mate of mine went to work there and warned me off buying any of their stuff.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Go to DFS , paying mine off over 4 years

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Travel to a local area that has lots of very rich old people living there and look in the charity shops and there you will find very expensive furniture in extremely good condition from the very top makers. St Luke's hospice,has many shops dotted around down here and a furniture warehouse in Plymouth. If I go out to places like Tavistock, Modbury,Ashburton etc there is some lovely old oak, mahogany and teak furniture and some really nice sofas and armchairs that have been donated at ridiculously low prices.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here