Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The road to 90 points

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I seem to recall talk last year that the team were set a points target.
I assume the same is true this season

I suspect the target is 92.
This is achievable and all the time we stay on track, then the pressure will build on Huddersfield. The game in hand will become a must win rather than a delayed 3 points.[/QUOTE
Think we should aim for another 20 pts from last 10 games. 12 /13 pts from the 5 at home and then the rest away. 94 points.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think we need to win enough to allow us to lose v leeds and norwich. Hudds will slip uo soon but these 2 away games for us are flagging up big time

Why should Huddersfield slip up? Only Kasey Palmer is injured. They have good enough reserves anyway. No complacency as they are chasing. The only reason I can think of is their goalkeeper.

Newcastle could slip up because of complacency and because Hayden is injured.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Why should Huddersfield slip up? Only Kasey Palmer is injured. They have good enough reserves anyway. No complacency as they are chasing. The only reason I can think of is their goalkeeper.

Newcastle could slip up because of complacency and because Hayden is injured.

Huddersfield tend to win their games by a single goal (apart from against us)
This doesn't make them world beaters IMO. It leaves them vulnerable to the occasional unexpected result.

Every so often a keeper or a defence plays at the top of their ability and shuts out the opposition.
Also there are those games where the team just don't perform -

Huddersfield are just as prone to having "one of those games" as us. Possibly more so, given their average win margin.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I ****ing hate this bollocks. I just want a year as an Albion fan when May approaches and I can think... "I wonder what I'll have for dinner tonight?" instead of "fffffaaarrrrrgrghhhhhh!!!!!"

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Think we need 95 Pts minimum

Jebus....

This points needed thing keeps going up & up....

My head is going to explode...

Win on Friday, I am sure Brentford will get something out of the game on Saturday against Huddersfield, however they have the easiest run in on paper and are the threat I honestly would put them down for 25 points from now until the end of the season which would give them 93, for us to get that we would be able to lose 3 games and draw 2 out of 10 games, when you think of it like that we should be ok.

I think Leeds are not so much of a threat as they have got Newcastle, Reading and Brentford away all potentially tricky games they will not come away with 9 points from them games.

It is all about us maintaining win, draw, lose now and

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I ****ing hate this bollocks. I just want a year as an Albion fan when May approaches and I can think... "I wonder what I'll have for dinner tonight?" instead of "fffffaaarrrrrgrghhhhhh!!!!!"

Exactly, i dont remember signing up to this sort of tomfoolery at the Amex initial presentations.
1/ I want my life back
2/ my computer wants its memory back and is sick of running 73000 permutations of every eventuality

90 points should do it though
If you include months that have an R in them then we are 5 points ahead of schedule

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

It's simple really, we just need more points at the end of the season then the team in 3rd place

Absolutely - this obsession with a points total is fine at the beginning of the season.. The "Steve Backley" approach is a well trodden path in business as well as sport.. it is great to have a target as part of a wider ambition.. It makes sense at the beginning of the season to try and break the overall goal down into daily behaviours etc -
Overall Goal - get promotion
measurable Target = 90 points (based on what has been a good enough total in the past - see also "40 points to avoid relegation from PL)
Short term goal : 2 points a game
What do we do to get 2 points a game = win games we might usually have drawn - make attacking substitutions etc etc..
The problem happens, as it did with Steve Backley, that whilst you can plan this way, the target can move.. he only won a silver medal in the javelin, because the work he did to throw a certain distance, a distance that had won gold medals in the past, wasn't enough.. someone else came in and threw further - he hadn't planned for that..
Therefore, we now have to plan for a 10 game season - aim for say, 2 points a game, and train, plan for that - that's the bit that is still in our control.
The bit that gives me comfort is that Huddersfield have to win at least 2, and probably 3 more games than us in the run-in.. For example, if we win 5 more games, they will have to win 7 or 8 out of their last 11.. They can't plan properly for that because they are not in control of our results.. Forget points totals for the season.. think about points total in the next 10 games..20 points..

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Think we will need 93 if Hudds continue their run of form

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Think we need 95 Pts minimum
So you think Huddersfield will get 8 wins and 3 draws, or 9 wins, from their last 11 games? Minimum.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's simple really, we just need more points at the end of the season then the team in 3rd place
If you offered me the same number of points as the team in 3rd, I'd take it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Win on Friday, I am sure Brentford will get something out of the game on Saturday against Huddersfield, however they have the easiest run in on paper and are the threat I honestly would put them down for 25 points from now until the end of the season which would give them 93, for us to get that we would be able to lose 3 games and draw 2 out of 10 games, when you think of it like that we should be ok.
So win 5 and draw 2, that's 17 points and puts us on 91, 2 behind Huddersfield.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Absolutely - this obsession with a points total is fine at the beginning of the season..
Agreed. The goal posts have moved.

The bit that gives me comfort is that Huddersfield have to win at least 2, and probably 3 more games than us in the run-in.. For example, if we win 5 more games, they will have to win 7 or 8 out of their last 11
That's not giving me comfort, they've won 8 of their last 11, including games against the rest of the top 6.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here