Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Taking things into the ground

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
On saturday I had in my bag, two 0.5l bottles of water, jacket, pen, wallet, phone, penknife, lighter, personal first aid kit, torch, handkerchief, tissues, glasses, notebook and and sanitiser.
None caused any comment from the lady steward who gave my bag a cursory examination.
We'd already eaten the home-made gluten-free pasties on the train (my son is coeliac and the club don't have anything he can eat apart from sweets)

spanishdave

Jul 30, 2013
Hove
Always funny when they confiscate my water bottle but ignore my bag full of electrical leads and a burnt out laptop I bring after work. I also once brought a gym bag full of around 20-30 video tapes (don't ask why haha...long story), steward took a one second look and waved me inside. I find it a waste of time, I now know exactly where I can store any weapons, drinks or inflatable love toys if i wanted to bring them in! Stewards don't seem to care or have enough time to properly check people or their bags etc. :thumbsup:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I questioned this at Withdean and I can't believe the policy has changed. It's fine to bring a bottle of water in the steward was wrong.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
On saturday I had in my bag, two 0.5l bottles of water, jacket, pen, wallet, phone, penknife, lighter, personal first aid kit, torch, handkerchief, tissues, glasses, notebook and and sanitiser.
None caused any comment from the lady steward who gave my bag a cursory examination.
We'd already eaten the home-made gluten-free pasties on the train (my son is coeliac and the club don't have anything he can eat apart from sweets)
They let you in with a penknife?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
They let you in with a penknife?

On the basis of probability and speed they will miss stuff all the time. I'm careful what I bring in now.

I managed to get past the stewards and found I had some tool of some description can't remember what but definitely not the thing you take in. I handed it in and told them to throw it away.

It's a deterrent and nothing more and to be honest very old fashioned and needs re-accessing. They don't stop you taking in coins for instance but as we know....

They don't like glass bottles but allow perfume.

You can't take alcohol in but encourage you to buy alcohol inside.

You can't take an aerosol in case it becomes a home made flame thrower. Has ANYONE ever witnessed that ever.

You can't take a "professional" camera in although many mobiles are effectively capable of the same thing.

All clubs need to be a bit clearer. Possibly..

1) Alcohol (probably sensible)
2) Flares (both fireworks and trousers)
3) Knifes
4) Electric tools of any description
5) Livestock

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Always funny when they confiscate my water bottle but ignore my bag full of electrical leads and a burnt out laptop I bring after work. I also once brought a gym bag full of around 20-30 video tapes (don't ask why haha...long story), steward took a one second look and waved me inside. I find it a waste of time, I now know exactly where I can store any weapons, drinks or inflatable love toys if i wanted to bring them in! Stewards don't seem to care or have enough time to properly check people or their bags etc. :thumbsup:

You've been unlucky with the water bottle...they've never taken mine :shrug:

Edit ..ive read this thread starting from the last page first...it appears a lot of peeps take there water bottle in

Boston28

Feb 7, 2014
I regularly take a couple of bottles of coke in with me that may or may not have a few shots of rum in and have never had anything said to me. Working nights I hadn't been up long when I got to the game Saturday so didn't fancy a drink, has there been a change to the stadium rules or has the op just encountered a steward who doesn't know the rules themselves?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
My boy got stopped from taking a bottle of coke in last season but they got a plastic glass for him to pour it into.

Odd part is that if he had had it in his pocket or backpack they wouldn't have seen it as they never search kids but as he was holding it they saw it. Now I just make him shove it inside his top when we go in.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Staff at the Brighton Centre would only let you in with a water bottle once they had confiscated the plastic top. The official line was that you could throw a full sealed water bottle but it would fail miserably with the top off.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Not overly annoyed, but it was irritating to have my water bottle taken off me before I went into the ground, yet the City fans were allowed to take in inflatable sex toys.

Actually, who gets ready for a football match, and thinks "yep, got my wallet, ticket, cash - now where did I put my two life-size inflatable love-dolls...".

Adrian Morris is the safety officer, and was part of the Q&A at our Supporters' AGM tonight, so I asked him what the policy was. He said you are allowed to take bottles of water into the ground.
We get quite a few of our stewards from the uni, and as they're not back yet, we had to use agency staff, some of whom, didn't bother listening or reading the brief. They applied the rules which they may had used at festivals, or other grounds.

In future, anyone can say, that we are allowed to take bottles of water into the Amex.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Staff at the Brighton Centre would only let you in with a water bottle once they had confiscated the plastic top. The official line was that you could throw a full sealed water bottle but it would fail miserably with the top off.

It all seems so stupid though. If someone genuinely wanted to do something like that, they'd do any number of things to hide it before they got in.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here