Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Things that annoy me on holiday...

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
As has happened on more than one occasion, being asked, usually by a beer-bellied heavily tattoed shaven headed northern ruffian, if I am a poof/queer/****ing ******, simply because I have a tattoo of Freddie Mercury on one arm, and the Albion badge on the other.

Edit: why has f a g g o t been asterisked out? I love ******s. In fact I had them for dinner just last night.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
People who don't respect other countries cultures.

I am a regular visitor to Turkey and i find it shameful when women going topless sunbathing despite being a muslim country and it's frowned upon.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thoroughly enjoyed this thread.

You and Danny Baker

Something of a non-league holiday destination that Rev - lovely place Bradford on Avon.

and wrong time of year some of them.

Dear oh dear, the star system is no more than a rough guide to the type of facilities available and in many parts of the world is self regulating. A rough guide is as follows;
3 Star: Multiple room options, restaurant, gym facilities and conference room/ business facilities available.

4 Star: Multiple rooms/ suite options, restaurants and bars on site, business facilities, concierge services, swimming pool, gym and creche.

5 Star: Luxury accommodation with all of the above facilities and more. (Bingo and English breakfasts unless explicitly offered are unlikely to be included.

I can only hope that this is somewhat useful for Naive Brits, who have no clue how the world operates.

Always happy to exchange pleasantries with people from anywhere in the world and in any language we can collectively muster. Exchanging Christmas cards, reunions eek no way. Actually put me down for team anti-social.

Not universally popular but my own pet hate is cruise ships. Who needs 5,000 people all turning up to gawp at a tiny statue in Copenhagen, or 10 shiploads gridlocking Dubrovnik or Venice. So many of them are like automatons, waddle along following a guide stop in the worst possible places, take some crappy photos, stop somewhere else inconvenient, repeat several times and waddle back to the boat.

Excellent post. Looking forward to my first-ever cruise in a few days. Particularly Copenhagen. [emoji106][emoji106]

biddles911

May 12, 2014
If you've been to Tenerife he's been to Elevenarife.

Another thing I hate about holidays is when your girlfriend puts all her bags and other needless shite down on the airport hall floor to find her lip balm, picks up every bit of natty tat she'd deemed necessary to have on an hour and a half flight to Gran Canaria but leaves a purse with 2/3rds of our holiday money changed up into Pesetas on the floor. Surprisingly it had gone when she realised an hour later and went rushing back to find it. And then rather than enjoying the diving lessons, trips into the mountains and other stuff you had saved up for all year you spend 10 days walking around or sitting on the rammed beach with screaming kids next to burger bars and perverts only being able to afford meals and a couple of drinks out a day. Don't know about you but that's what I hate about holidays.

So true!

And why is it every b****y wife/girlfriend/woman's case is always overweight when you get to the airport (both ways) even though they've put half their cr** into your case.......?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The answer to nearly all the posts so far for a European holiday, even with kids, is as follows.
Go to a small, quietish Greek Island, one that you have to get a ferry to from the nearest island with an airport.
Stay in a small pension with a little breakfast room overlooking the sea.
Nice beaches for the kids.
Nice food in the tavernas.
Nice locals and bar/ taverna owners.
Not crowded, few Brits, maybe no Russians.
A very pleasant relaxed feel about the whole place.
People watching while having a drink around the harbour watching the boats Bob up and down.
Hot but cooling winds.
This all usually works for me these days.
A lot of the pensions are really nice some with a small pool.
If you want to go to a classy place but with an airport try Mykonos especially out of season, great island, has everything.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

I am a regular visitor to Turkey and i find it shameful when women going topless sunbathing despite being a muslim country and it's frowned upon.
100% agree.

If you're visiting another country, the very least you can do is respect their laws and customs.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011

I quite agree those that disrespect the hosts culture are unwelcome. Including here.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We thought this so went to the Vendee last June, catching the ferry from newhaven then constant screaming in the car for seven hours. It rained constantly for seven days. As such we went to Spain in October and it was much easier. If we didn't have such miserably unreliable weather in this country, though, I guess it would be different.

Now I know who to blame. We've been to the Vendee for 12 years now, and last year was the worst weather we've ever had. This year, it rained for just one hour (a thunderstorm) in the whole fortnight.

How did it take you seven hours from Dieppe to the Vendee? We go through the Tunnel, and it only takes 6.5 hours from Calais, including two stops for food.

Another great thing about the Vendee in the early summer, is that there are very few Brits about.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If you've been to Tenerife he's been to Elevenarife.

Another thing I hate about holidays is when your girlfriend puts all her bags and other needless shite down on the airport hall floor to find her lip balm, picks up every bit of natty tat she'd deemed necessary to have on an hour and a half flight to Gran Canaria but leaves a purse with 2/3rds of our holiday money changed up into Pesetas on the floor. Surprisingly it had gone when she realised an hour later and went rushing back to find it. And then rather than enjoying the diving lessons, trips into the mountains and other stuff you had saved up for all year you spend 10 days walking around or sitting on the rammed beach with screaming kids next to burger bars and perverts only being able to afford meals and a couple of drinks out a day. Don't know about you but that's what I hate about holidays.

Did you dump her?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
1. If you don't like kids don't go where the kids go (or when they go).

2. Always use a lounge before holiday now. Nice relaxing way to start the holiday. Never been bothered with duty free and the seats are far more comfortable.

3. Have been on AI twice and on neither occasion where there too few sunbeds. Yes, there may well be kids that have chips with everything, just as there are with the 18-30 age bracket.

4. If you don't like socializing with a few people then why do you post on a forum?

5. For those that can't stand kids in bars, what do you do at half time at the Amex! It must be hell for you.

6. Just had an excellent two weeks in Elounda in Crete. Nice small quiet block of apartments around a small pool.

For me, the worst thing you can encounter on holiday is the 18-30 generation that are hell bent on drinking themselves into a coma and the locals that feed their frenzy. It's all very well talking about those that abuse the local culture but in many cases the local community are happy to take their money. Fortunately, a little research before booking means it's reasonably easy to avoid these places.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
The Chinese.

Was in the Canadian Rockies last Autumn, and there were coachloads of them everywhere I went. Coach disgorges them at a spot e.g. Moraine Lake. Its then chaos, hundreds of the noisy, rude sh**s. Constantly preening themselves in front of their selfie sticks, and no respect for other tourists. Then back on their coach for the next spot. Kept bumping into the same groups as I made my way up the Icefields Parkway. I'd held the door open for a couple of people at one place and then went to go the through the door myself, when this middle age one decided he was gonna push through and follow them through the door at speed. I just dropped a shoulder and walked through him. Not sure he really knew where he was as he was picking himself off the floor. I didn't even look back or acknowledge his misfortune.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Now I know who to blame. We've been to the Vendee for 12 years now, and last year was the worst weather we've ever had. This year, it rained for just one hour (a thunderstorm) in the whole fortnight.

How did it take you seven hours from Dieppe to the Vendee? We go through the Tunnel, and it only takes 6.5 hours from Calais, including two stops for food.

Another great thing about the Vendee in the early summer, is that there are very few Brits about.

That was with the numerous stops for nappies etc. And the motorway being two inches deep in water at Angers. Would be about 4 hours otherwise I think. We know it's not normally like that but it didn't make us feel any better!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That was with the numerous stops for nappies etc. And the motorway being two inches deep in water at Angers. Would be about 4 hours otherwise I think. We know it's not normally like that but it didn't make us feel any better!

We avoid going via Angers and Le Mans because the tolls are so high. We go past Caen, down to Nantes and Rennes. It's just 5.10€ for the Pont de Normandie, which is spectacular.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015

The weather is why we go down to the Languedoc every time.... hot hot hot... every year...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
We met an obnoxious Brit in the hotel that we stayed at in Northern Cyprus recently, who claimed to own most of the Mediterranean. He proceeded to perform superb Harry Enfield impersonations on numerous occasions. He also claimed to own swaithes of South Africa, and exhibited the racial intolerance of Constable Eels, in Tom Sharpe's 'Riotous assembly'. (I must read that again). Oh for a volume control, I thought to myself on numerous occasions, as he proceeded to announce that he was considerably richer than we were. I'm going back there next month for a week. Hopefully he'll be broadcasting his ignorance in his home town of Leicester whilst I'm out there, although he did claim that his visit was purely for the purpose of extending his vast property portfolio.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here