Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ched Evans

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Why given that if the decision is to overturn the conviction the DPP have stated they will seek a retrial. I cant see anyone taking him on until that process has concluded and unless this second trial returns a not guilty verdict.

Possibly because the evidence doesn't definitively clear him. In other overturned cases you could have a situation that someone convicted has a case overturned due to DNA evidence proving their innocence. In this case it could be the evidence is purely throws doubt on what allegedly happened and could still be for a jury to decide if it makes a difference. The appeal judges just might think the evidence may have made a difference to the decision of the jury. Guess we'll find out later.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Regardless of a conviction or not, he's a horrible scrote.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Good to see the CPS using tax payers' money wisely.

So whatever the rights or wrongs of what went on, which non of us know the truth about, you are quite happy to see someone have their career ruined over something they may not have been guilty of?

He might be a scrote, as quoted previously, but he is still allowed the full use of the law and fair trial.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So whatever the rights or wrongs of what went on, which non of us know the truth about, you are quite happy to see someone have their career ruined over something they may not have been guilty of?

He might be a scrote, as quoted previously, but he is still allowed the full use of the law and fair trial.

I think you'll find he's being sarcastic, and suggesting it is wrong for the CPS to continue to pursue a case after the appeal because they believe someone they believe raped a woman, and that they believe they have the evidence to secure a conviction against.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Would be amazed if that doesn't end no evidence offered now. Can't see the victim wanting to go through it all again after all these years.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

I was being sarcastic (we need a sarcasm font). It seems a bit pointless to quash a conviction and have the bloke retried when the sentence has already been served. And if the CCRC have found enough evidence to suggest that the original verdict was unsafe, what's the chance that the CPS will find new evidence in the next 2 months to change that to 'beyond reasonable doubt'?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
And this is why I only ever say "he was convicted for rape" and not "he IS a rapist". If I don't know for sure in my OWN mind, no matter what a jury says, I can't call someone a certain tag for fear of this exact situation.

Back to innocent until proven again.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And if the CCRC have found enough evidence to suggest that the original verdict was unsafe, what's the chance that the CPS will find new evidence in the next 2 months to change that to 'beyond reasonable doubt'?
That's not necessary. They may have found the original verdict unsafe because the jury gave it without the knowledge of some evidence. They could have a retrial with that evidence and their verdict (whatever it might be) would be safe.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Would be amazed if that doesn't end no evidence offered now. Can't see the victim wanting to go through it all again after all these years.

So who is 'the victim' that you mention. IF Evans is innocent and she has lied and made the whole thing up he is the victim. And I think he would be more than happy to 'go through it all again' to prove it

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So who is 'the victim' that you mention. IF Evans is innocent and she has lied
There is no suggestion she lied. She did not accuse anyone of anything, she said she couldn't remember.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
How can he get a 'fair trial' with all the media scrutiny there's been over the last 4 years on this?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How can he get a 'fair trial' with all the media scrutiny there's been over the last 4 years on this?
I expect a lot of people will know between very little and nothing about it.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I was being sarcastic (we need a sarcasm font). It seems a bit pointless to quash a conviction and have the bloke retried when the sentence has already been served. And if the CCRC have found enough evidence to suggest that the original verdict was unsafe, what's the chance that the CPS will find new evidence in the next 2 months to change that to 'beyond reasonable doubt'?

Sorry, missed the sarcasm element - yep a different font, or flashing lights maybe would help the thick like me!!!

As for what is happening, I guess there is a major difference between having a conviction quashed and being proved innocent - another day in court might just provide the answers to prove his innocence (of sorts).

Sh1t sticks, and I can't see many clubs running to employ him without a retrial. No smoke without fire seems to be many people's maxim.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
So who is 'the victim' that you mention. IF Evans is innocent and she has lied and made the whole thing up he is the victim. And I think he would be more than happy to 'go through it all again' to prove it

What a strange view to take. Arguably there are two victims - depending on whether or not he is found guilty on a re-trial. Funnily enough I was talking about the girl who was until about half an hour ago a confirmed rape victim.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here