Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Kiwis are just as bad as well. The media is the biggest trouble over here. They're always trying to make an Us/Them divide.

Dangerous attitude.

Have you got that helmet law in NZ that is talked about in that video? I always suspected that something like that would be negative for cyclist numbers, and this is borne out here.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ah no. I don't think you are missing the joke. I think we were missing a year.

We will have read 2018 and seen that as the next one - missing out the whole 12 months of 2016.

I haven't looked, but [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] and I did it in 2013. So it should be in odd numbered years.

They do have another one in the in-between years, but that doesn't happen on the same weekend as the pro race, kinda defeating the object. Maybe that is the one you are talking about?

I was just going by this:-

http://www.sportstoursinternational.co.uk/cycling/paris-roubaix-challenge

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you can't see a 6 foot tall lycra clad fat bloke on a bike in broad daylight, I don't imagine a little red light will keep me any safer.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Oh, did anyone see the recommendation from Trek to right with a rear light during the day? Opinions...

A couple of friends have taken to do this recently. I may join them, they are definitely more noticeable on the road, especially from a distance.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Typically I don't feel the need for daytime rear lights although there are some powerful rear lights out there.

However, yesterday after work whilst riding slowly into a headwind and towards the setting Sun I noticed riders with their rear lights on were much easier to see. Turned mine on at the next traffic lights.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
My ride to work is partly under trees, but mostly in good light. I started putting on my rear light when I noticed just how much more noticeable people are, even in daylight, with a rear light.

As much as a good solid infrastructure would help I think any little we, as responsible cyclists, can do for self preservation is only a good thing.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Oh, did anyone see the recommendation from Trek to right with a rear light during the day? Opinions...

Someone selling lights thinks other people should buy lights? Who'd have thought it?!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I sometimes switch my rear light on during the day.

I've never considered riding on cobbles though. Funk that.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Yes, I'm with you, brother. Only a fool would willingly do so.

I'd do a bit, but not enough to get blisters on my hands. But once you do a 140 miler with 10k climbing up some quality hills like SB, that's pretty much a 9 dart check out in my eyes. Gotta keep pushing...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just f**k right off.

1438730176682-1v6jz03zqpegp-700-80.jpg

1438730176686-1c2nebs1pdcn7-960-540.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd do a bit, but not enough to get blisters on my hands. But once you do a 140 miler with 10k climbing up some quality hills like SB, that's pretty much a 9 dart check out in my eyes. Gotta keep pushing...
I did surprise myself!!

For me, [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] was in Nice a couple of weeks after my mate Colin (Col du Col) was around Alp D'Huez and the location for last week of the Tour.

As much as Col loved his 5 days, and 20k+ feet of climbing he had a couple of horror stories, and muttered the odd comment along the lines of 'I wasn't prepared for the boredom of just going up hill'.
That in turn gives all the more kudos to PM for his Nice ride, with looks anything but!!

But leaves me thinking that challenge just isn't for me.

All the while I'm riding faster and further than ever before, while my latest thing is 'riding through' short sharp shock undulations.
Logic says I either go to Belgium or take up cyclocross (which is one of the same)

I'd love to ride the Tourmalet but I doubt the experience will be as good as the dream.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is what Stat's videodrome was made for, marvelous marvelous scenes:-

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here