Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - For the teachers and parents on NSC - your opinion ?

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
Is this actually true? Educational reasons can mean that the certification can be by-passed. Does this mean that an 18-rated film showing explicit sex scenes could be shown with impunity, if a member of staff decided that that this would aid sexual awareness in 13 year olds?

Bbfc website. Faq's. As stated the governors would have to agree it so highly unlikely to get approved if that unsuitable.

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Wrong....You cannot see it in cinema or rent it if under 15........
.I`m on the fence re showing it to 13 year olds.... it`s good to show them sympathetically these things before they see them out for themselves..Some take it better than others but Teachers should talk through before and after.[/QUOTEach

Edit. Misread your post. Sorry

The BBFC's cinema age ratings legally apply only to licensed cinemas, so it is not illegal for schools to show BBFC rated DVDs to its pupils. Merely showing an age restricted work to underage persons - or allowing them to see one - is not in itself an offence. We would however strongly discourage such a practice unless (a), the children in question are only a year or so below the age stated on the certificate, and (b), there is some kind of serious educational purpose to showing the recording (eg showing a 15 rated Macbeth to 14 year old GCSE English students). Even in those cases, we always recommend that the school obtain permission from parents or guardians prior to the screening.

Got this ready for you but you changed your post:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
The BBFC's cinema age ratings legally apply only to licensed cinemas, so it is not illegal for schools to show BBFC rated DVDs to its pupils. Merely showing an age restricted work to underage persons - or allowing them to see one - is not in itself an offence. We would however strongly discourage such a practice unless (a), the children in question are only a year or so below the age stated on the certificate, and (b), there is some kind of serious educational purpose to showing the recording (eg showing a 15 rated Macbeth to 14 year old GCSE English students). Even in those cases, we always recommend that the school obtain permission from parents or guardians prior to the screening.

Got this ready for you but you changed your post:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

ha, yeah sorry I read your post as a reply to my comment which I now realise it wasn't! I was quite quick with the edit. Sorry again! :facepalm:

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I remember watching the Jenny Agutter version of Walkabout in English at school. Tits and muff :clap:

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The school shouldn't have done that. If it were me, I'd be having a quiet word with them.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
100% ?? without any consideration to circumstances ???

Say 16 year old GCSE history student studying second world war...watching schindlers list or any movie of that kind cert 18..Still no ?

I think the key to it is .... asking the parents first.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well I certainly reserve the right to be wrong, but that's my gut reaction.

Say 16 year old GCSE history student studying second world war...watching schindlers list or any movie of that kind cert 18..Still no ?
If it was a 16 year old GCSE history student, they shouldn't be shown an 18 cert movie without asking the parents. Christ, is it not possible to teach them about the war without showing a ****ing movie?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
My daughter goes to Blatch and is 13. She's come home today upset because in RE they were shown a film of the conflict in Gaza. Dead bodies and body parts graphically shown. Her mum has looked up the certificate and it is a 15. Now I'm not a prude etc but is it really appropriate for a 13 year old to be shown a 15 cert film even without asking her parents ? You send your children to school expecting them to be protected and nurtured not to be shown graphic violence.

Am I over reacting or is my concern justified ? *** awaits the trolls with 'grow a pair' comments ***

The school should have sent home a letter asking for your consent before letting her class view a film with any rating above PG tbh. I know that may sound prudish but it should be part of their safeguarding protocol, well at least that's how the school I work in operates. If you do query it be polite as you're more likely to get the response you want.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Now I'm not a prude etc but is it really appropriate for a 13 year old to be shown a 15 cert film even without asking her parents ?

No it is not appropriate, and as a school they should have asked permission from a parent or guardian before showing it. My wife is a teacher, and suggests to approach the teacher first and ask for the reasons behind showing it, and then if you do not receive an appropriate response then take this up with the head, or borough head. This is morally unprofessional whichever way you look at it.

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I think the key to it is .... asking the parents first.

Maybe but ....I think Schools need to take the responsibility themselves...They are the ones that should be able to decide.. They should have been more aware that the children may have been upset and talked it through perhaps before but certainly after the film.

What would you have said if you had been asked?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Maybe but ....I think Schools need to take the responsibility themselves
But showing them something that they're not allowed to be shown is doing the opposite of taking responsibility, it's being irresponsible. It's not their decision to make.

As an example:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/115...Call-of-Duty-could-be-reported-to-police.html

If parents let their children play Grand Theft Auto, or Call of Duty, the school may report them to social services or the police. It wouldn't make sense for the same schools to be committing the same crime as if it's fine.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I can certainly understand your concerns and it got me thinking

I let my son watch the World At War when he was around 12 years old

out of curiosity I've just checked the box set and it states exempt from certification whatever that means

I guess in private life it comes down to personal knowledge of your own children

schools have an obligation to be careful,the certification is on there for a reason

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905

Schindler's List is available in an abridged version suitable for 13 year olds, the majority of schools will have a copy as it is often used when teaching the Holocaust.

The Optimist

NSC Patreon
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham

I think Schindler's List is a 15. My school showed us Schinder's List when I was 15 but some of my year group were still 14, we got a letter home that our parents had to sign before we were allowed to watch it (even if we were already 15).

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Someone has made a big mistake here.

I teach at Primary School, and we are fully aware that film certification HAS to be respected in school. I would never show a PG film without first getting signed permission from the parents that this was acceptable to them, and 12s are an absolute no-no.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Well I certainly reserve the right to be wrong, but that's my gut reaction.

If it was a 16 year old GCSE history student, they shouldn't be shown an 18 cert movie without asking the parents. Christ, is it not possible to teach them about the war without showing a ****ing movie?

When they reach 18, and IF you want them to see some 18 Cert movies, I may be able to help.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Maybe but ....I think Schools need to take the responsibility themselves...They are the ones that should be able to decide.. They should have been more aware that the children may have been upset and talked it through perhaps before but certainly after the film.

What would you have said if you had been asked?

The answer would have been no.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Wrong....You cannot see it in cinema or rent it if under 15........
.I`m on the fence re showing it to 13 year olds.... it`s good to show them sympathetically these things before they see them out for themselves..Some take it better than others but Teachers should talk through before and after.

So I as a parent am breaking the law by taking my 13yo to a 15 rated film. But some no mark teacher can just show anything that has been passed by a head teacher without the slightest recourse to me as a parent. Idiotic.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here