Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FFP

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
This site is run on a not-for-profit basis by Ed Thompson.

I am a Financial Projects manager working for one of the world's largest banks.

I have been described by the Independent on Sunday as '“One of the country's leading analysts of Uefa's Financial Fair Play regulations”

Some "leading analyst" if he can't even use the right figures

Journalism at its best??

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If i've got this right, their £24m in transfers wont all be counted as a part of this years losses, the transfer fee would be broken down into equal amounts over the length of their contracts so, say if they all signed 4 year contracts, that would only add £6m per year to their losses but over 4 years

Correct

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I have been described by the Independent on Sunday as '“One of the country's leading analysts of Uefa's Financial Fair Play regulations”

I know Ed. He's a good guy.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
If i've got this right, their £24m in transfers wont all be counted as a part of this years losses, the transfer fee would be broken down into equal amounts over the length of their contracts so, say if they all signed 4 year contracts, that would only add £6m per year to their losses but over 4 years
I accept that, but large transfer fees generally equate to large wages, and I'm sure that free transfers like a Darren Bent would be on high wages as well. It may just be my perception, but in summer 2015 it really felt as if both Derby and Boro were going for it big time. With that in mind, I can't get my head round how they wouldn't have exceeded the loss limit given that we were, apparently, very close to it with similar income.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I accept that, but large transfer fees generally equate to large wages, and I'm sure that free transfers like a Darren Bent would be on high wages as well. It may just be my perception, but in summer 2015 it really felt as if both Derby and Boro were going for it big time. With that in mind, I can't get my head round how they wouldn't have exceeded the loss limit given that we were, apparently, very close to it with similar income.

Derby have in previous years had some 'unusual' activity in their P&L account, such as rescheduling debts which created £3m of income.

In addition Boro's tax losses are used against profits made by the rest of the Steve Gibson empire if I recall correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

The amount you can lose went up, plus they had a high turnover of players looking at the link provided earlier, including those going out on loan so maybe they have kept the wage bill pretty similar to previous years and maybe those leaving where also signed for a fee that is no longer being amortised which frees up capital for these transfer fees?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Adopts John Inman voice 'I'm free'

Some expenses are excluded for FFP calculations, so my estimate is

Accounting loss £25.9m

Add back:
Depreciation on stadium and Lancing £4.9m
Academy category 1 running costs £5m
Transport subsidy (suspect FL will allow this as a unique cost of running the Albion) £1.2m
Other allowable costs £2m

FFP loss £12.8m

I anticipate losses to be at least £30m for 2016/17 and could touch £40m if we are promoted once bonuses are paid out.

It is a guess rather than an estimate. The accounts are not detailed enough for anything else.

I guessed *~(rounded up)

Add back

Depreciation £5 m
Academy £11 m (Running costs estimated at £2 m a year, so some of these must be assets acquired)

Promotion bonuses are excluded for FFP, so that is why Bournemouth complied. Leicester avoided sanctions by creative accounting.

Qualifying loss £10 m

Equity inclusion £ 11 m

Last accounts did see wages increase by £7 m to £27m or so which is higher than the total income from all sources. If we get promoted this could rise to £40 m in the promotion year.

However, it does look like the Albion (or clubs other than Newcastle, Villa, Norwich) will not spend big in January (now) w/o selling first. Not entirely ruled out but most likely not.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I know Ed. He's a good guy.

Seems like you're dodging questions! Perhaps in fear of SMEARING your good friend.

He states a maximum permitted loss figure not exceeding 500k, moreover he doesn't even subtract that 500k for the sake of argument in his FFP max loss table. This seems grossly inaccurate when you consider we are predicting that we could have up to 13M of permitted losses (depreciation, academy) against the 25.9M?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

What's Uefa's FFP got to do with it?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It is a guess rather than an estimate. The accounts are not detailed enough for anything else.

I guessed *~(rounded up)

Add back

Depreciation £5 m
Academy £11 m (Running costs estimated at £2 m a year, so some of these must be assets acquired)

Promotion bonuses are excluded for FFP, so that is why Bournemouth complied. Leicester avoided sanctions by creative accounting.
Bournemouth didn't comply; they just accepted their £7.6m fine with seemingly little complaint.

I think that Leicester's transaction, whereby they sold sponsorship rights for a hugely inflated fee to a newly formed company owned by people with strong links to Leicester's owners, is still under investigation and could/should land them with a 7-8m fine.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Bournemouth didn't comply; they just accepted their £7.6m fine with seemingly little complaint.

I think that Leicester's transaction, whereby they sold sponsorship rights for a hugely inflated fee to a newly formed company owned by people with strong links to Leicester's owners, is still under investigation and could/should land them with a 7-8m fine.

Missed that: http://www.skysports.com/football/n...-6m-after-breaching-financial-fair-play-rules

Not sure how the Albion training ground is accounted for.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Looks like the disputed report has been taken down:

8bf78bd8e2e020991fc2cf641852c57a.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here