Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2015

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
And Major thinks the opposite about Labour

"After the election, either the Conservative party or Labour will form – or at least lead – the new government. We need a government that can reach out to every part of our country. And Labour can’t do that.

I know Labour. I grew up with them. I admire their virtues. But Labour is a class-based Party. It was born so and remains so. It’s in its DNA. Labour divides to rule. To win votes, they will turn rich against poor. North against South. Worker against boss. They have done this before. And they are doing it now. But it is emphatically not what this country needs. We need to bring people together, not create chasms to prise us apart.

The enduring characteristic of the British is fairness and generosity of spirit. I believe people will turn away from Labour’s politics of social division. It has no place in a mature State. "

He may well be true in what he says, but replace Labour with Tory and he would also be telling the truth IMO.

However where he says Labour divides to rule and that:

"They will turn rich against poor. North against South. Worker against boss"

I think it is more fair to say the Tories

Will turn rich against poor, poor against poor. North against south, north against north. Worker against boss, worker against worker.

No party like to divide and rule as much as the Tories, they spend most of their time dividing their own support!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Major speaks from the heart, a working class boy who came from nothing - he engages the electorate in a way lots of Tories cant now. There needs to be a new 'him'.

Having worked for him on various occasions regarding his fund raising garden parties, I echo those sentiments. He is a very honest (apart from curry) man. He worked for a long time with Ken Livingston though outwardly had to show respective party lines. They both had respect for each other as they both had very similar upbringings.

Oddly his favourite food is indeed curry, and not peas, and I have joined him and Norma for a few currys at their favourite curry house in Huntingdon.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I quite liked Major. In a time when PM's are all wannabe trendsetters, tweeters, rock musicians desperate to impress with knowsge of pop culture Major was content to be a solid man uninterested in the whizz bang of pop politics. I likes Gordon Brown for the same reason.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Oh dear. Labour learnt a lesson today. Keep Jamie Reed off air. Car crash interview with Andrew Neill on the Daily Politics Show. Why do no mark politicians think they can take on Neill. Absolute mincemeat and has put the Labour argument back a notch.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Was Edwina Currie there ?

she has more brains in her little finger than he has anywhere
I think she said of him he was never good at decisions
got that right then

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Been out for a while. Has [MENTION=36]Titanic[/MENTION] got in with this one?
New TNS poll LAB 34% (+2), CON 32% (-2), LIB DEM 8% (-1), UKIP 15% (+1), GREEN 5% (0), OTHER 6% (+1)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Makes me laugh when people say Major is a decent, honest man, well cheating on your wife is definitely decent and honest. Shows how desperate Cameron is to drag him out to support him

I take a slightly different view on this one. I refuse to characterise those that have affairs as lacking in decency. The problem I have is when politicians create an entire narrative around family values -- as Major did -- and then ride roughshod over them -- as Major did.
That said, I'm with [MENTION=5707]Nibble[/MENTION] in that I much prefer those that are not so obsessed with their image and style over substance (Major, Brown, Miliband E) than those that are (Blair, Cameron, Miliband D)

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Been out for a while. Has [MENTION=36]Titanic[/MENTION] got in with this one?
New TNS poll LAB 34% (+2), CON 32% (-2), LIB DEM 8% (-1), UKIP 15% (+1), GREEN 5% (0), OTHER 6% (+1)

All to play for with only 16 days to go

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Definitely seeing a fall of in the UKIP vote, not entirely clear where they are going though?

Edit: Maybe they have been sectioned?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Definitely seeing a fall of in the UKIP vote, not entirely clear where they are going though?

Edit: Maybe they have been sectioned?

Really ?

Mike Smithson [MENTION=20472]msmith[/MENTION]sonPB · 1h 1 hour ago

ICM, TNS, Populus, Opinium, Survation, and Ipsos-MORI all have UKIP with increased shares. The others have no change.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here