Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transfer madness

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Give it up, BG. It's a dreadful strategy. They will fail FFP if they don't go up this season and, at the moment, they're far from guaranteed of even making the play-offs. We could even have bought Rhodes and stayed within FFP but, instead, rather than listening to you about the qualities of Rhodes and the imputed importance of his goals, we've bought Murray (15 goals already this season) and got a promising young striker on loan for the rest of the season.

I agree about our business and am quite happy but of the chasers I would say Wednesday and Reading have done best and expect to see them Leeds and 1 other in the play offs. possibly Derby or Villa if they can get their act together,.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I agree about our business and am quite happy but of the chasers I would say Wednesday and Reading have done best and expect to see them Leeds and 1 other in the play offs. possibly Derby or Villa if they can get their act together,.

Villa have done the best business. Fortunately, they've got no chance of making the automatics now, with 92 as their maximum points total. With a bit of luck, they'll take points off our rivals and we'll be up by the time we play them.
Leeds are certainly strengthening and have made good signings this window, and Monk is a good manager. Let's hope they're too far away from us. Not remotely convinced about :lolol:. They needed to strengthen their defence but, instead, they listened to you and are under the impression that Rhodes' goals will get them over the line.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Linus Wahlqvist, more agent bollox?

Championship outfit Brighton and Hove Albion are set to do battle with the likes of Napoli and Valencia for Swedish defender Linus Wahlqvist.

According to fotbolldirekt, the Seagulls are keen on bringing the IFK Norrkoping defender to England but will face competition from some of Europe’s biggest heavyweights.

The highly rated centre-halve is also reportedly interesting the likes of Napoli and Valencia but with Chris Hughton’s side moving closer and closer to the Premier League each week, a move to England could prove to be a tempting one for Wahlqvist.

Despite being just 20-years-old, he would arrive in England with a serious reputation as one of Sweden’s brightest up-and-coming talents. He’s represented the Swedish national teams on five occasions already and has close to 60 caps at youth level for his country.

Whether he’d be able to oust the likes of Lewis Dunk and Shane Duffy from the side is yet to be seen but as one for the future, the signing of Wahlqvist could prove to be a real coup for the Gulls as they fight for promotion.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/br...with-napoli-and-valencia-for-classy-defender/

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
If he scores sufficient goals for them to win the play offs it will be a good investment if not he is ready for next year or can be sold to somebody wanting the same at virtually what he cost Wednesday so to me it is good business.
At some point and it might not be right now, someone gets left with a limited striker on a massive contract that they don't want and can't sell. I don't even want to think about getting involved in that particular game of pass the parcel.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Championship outfit Brighton and Hove Albion are set to do battle with the likes of Napoli and Valencia for Swedish defender Linus Wahlqvist.

According to fotbolldirekt, the Seagulls are keen on bringing the IFK Norrkoping defender to England but will face competition from some of Europe’s biggest heavyweights.

The highly rated centre-halve is also reportedly interesting the likes of Napoli and Valencia but with Chris Hughton’s side moving closer and closer to the Premier League each week, a move to England could prove to be a tempting one for Wahlqvist.

Despite being just 20-years-old, he would arrive in England with a serious reputation as one of Sweden’s brightest up-and-coming talents. He’s represented the Swedish national teams on five occasions already and has close to 60 caps at youth level for his country.

Whether he’d be able to oust the likes of Lewis Dunk and Shane Duffy from the side is yet to be seen but as one for the future, the signing of Wahlqvist could prove to be a real coup for the Gulls as they fight for promotion.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/br...with-napoli-and-valencia-for-classy-defender/

excuse my ignorance but how would this be possible before the summer window? if remotely true of course!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
excuse my ignorance but how would this be possible before the summer window? if remotely true of course!

You are not showing your ignorance, don't worry. We could sign him now but he couldn't play for us this season (also that website talks a lot of rubbish so it is probably wrong). Only way we can sign a player now and play them this season is to bring in a player who doesn't have a club (and didn't have a club on 31st January).

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
You are not showing your ignorance, don't worry. We could sign him now but he couldn't play for us this season (also that website talks a lot of rubbish so it is probably wrong). Only way we can sign a player now and play them this season is to bring in a player who doesn't have a club (and didn't have a club on 31st January).

It's as I mentioned, probably more agent bollox, a loan move possibly if allowed?

ok thanks

CarlosTheOwl

May 7, 2016
They will be on for a transfer embargo if they don't go up! Can't imagine the wages they are paying that lot!

Honestly doubt it. Our chairman is very much a business man he will have weighed up the pro's and con's of all our signings. He and Carlos have stated we are not willing to risk breaking the FFP rules. The new rules being £39M perceived loss over 3 years. Plus the value of the transfer gets divided by the length of the contract. So we paid £3M for Hooper and signed him on a 3 year deal which means £1M a year towards the FFP budget. Obviously the large wages of players is more of a concern to me but just gotta trust Chansiri and there's no reason not too. He's been a fantastic chairman for us so far.

A few things are that our transfers recently are usually not as much as reported, Carlos said we didn't pay £10M for Rhodes for example.

Obviously there will come a time where spending has to slow down if promotion hasn't been reached. Maybe that'll be sooner rather than later who knows! I guess we do have saleable assets if we are in need. It is a business after all.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
At some point and it might not be right now, someone gets left with a limited striker on a massive contract that they don't want and can't sell. I don't even want to think about getting involved in that particular game of pass the parcel.

I think I remember reading something about Adebayor the other day about how – at one point – he was being paid by Manchester City, Tottenham AND Palace at the same time and didn't really give one about training or playing? What a crazy situation to be in...

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I think I remember reading something about Adebayor the other day about how – at one point – he was being paid by Manchester City, Tottenham AND Palace at the same time and didn't really give one about training or playing? What a crazy situation to be in...

Brede Hangelaand mentioned it in an interview about the laziest team mates he'd had.

Zaha was also mentioned. As was Zamora.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Brede Hangelaand mentioned it in an interview about the laziest team mates he'd had.

Zaha was also mentioned. As was Zamora.

Ah yes, just seen it (or one of them) – cheers for that. No mention of BZ in this one though (Telegraph) – plenty about Zaha and Berbatov :lol:

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Honestly doubt it. Our chairman is very much a business man he will have weighed up the pro's and con's of all our signings. He and Carlos have stated we are not willing to risk breaking the FFP rules. The new rules being £39M perceived loss over 3 years. Plus the value of the transfer gets divided by the length of the contract. So we paid £3M for Hooper and signed him on a 3 year deal which means £1M a year towards the FFP budget. Obviously the large wages of players is more of a concern to me but just gotta trust Chansiri and there's no reason not too. He's been a fantastic chairman for us so far.

A few things are that our transfers recently are usually not as much as reported, Carlos said we didn't pay £10M for Rhodes for example.

Obviously there will come a time where spending has to slow down if promotion hasn't been reached. Maybe that'll be sooner rather than later who knows! I guess we do have saleable assets if we are in need. It is a business after all.

I have visions of another Vincent Tan...Dunno why, Maybe it's his name all over the stadium and shirt, getting rid of the stripes etc etc. As long as he's chucking money at it, supporters will be ok with it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Funny that he names Wayne Hennessey in that XI too. That'll please his many fans amongst the Palace support even more :lolol:

CarlosTheOwl

May 7, 2016
I have visions of another Vincent Tan...Dunno why, Maybe it's his name all over the stadium and shirt, getting rid of the stripes etc etc. As long as he's chucking money at it, supporters will be ok with it.

The man had this appearance externally which I can understand. The high ticket prices are a big myth when you break them down and his presence in terms of name etc is all part of our sponsorship strategy to combat FFP. I'm not naive enough to know we aren't the best at generating capital. He's also spending on infrastructure and the ground, buying land in the local area as well. The way he approaches business is very holistic and in touch with the fans. The only gripe people have is probably the stripes thing but we'll see if they return. Other than that he's quite keen on backing a manager and not making rash decisions. Honestly think he's one of the best chairman in the league and not deserving of being mentioned alongside the likes of Fawaz etc. Again, not just building us up as I'm usually pessimistic about off the field affairs but recently it's been on the pitch that the negativity occurs! And even then we're in the play offs again. I just think we need a few years of off the pitch progression as a club to reach the levels of your own club for example. Being honest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here