Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet sacked again

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I thought that the then chairman of Charlton lived in the house next door to Gus but wouldnt argue. I think that QPR was the ideal job for him in all respects and appointing wurzel again is their loss and a mistake/ I believe he would have consolidated this season and reformed them as he did us and they would be promotion contenders next season.

He would never have fitted at QPR - Their Chairman would have hated someone like Gus

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
He was a top manager and a top bloke at the Albion. He often did community work above and beyond the call, and in my opinion, he set the standard which players like Calde then took up a level. He was brilliant for us, totally transformed the whole club and left us established as a top Championship club. He had his moments, of course. And he left under a cloud.

But he was an excellent Brighton manager and that's all that matters to me. Poyet IN.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
He was a top manager and a top bloke at the Albion. He often did community work above and beyond the call, and in my opinion, he set the standard which players like Calde then took up a level. He was brilliant for us, totally transformed the whole club and left us established as a top Championship club. He had his moments, of course. And he left under a cloud.

But he was an excellent Brighton manager and that's all that matters to me. Poyet IN.

Have to disagree. Whilst I loved the guy while he was here looking back afterwards he really should have walked this league with the team he had when we only finished 4th.
With the likes of Bridge, Upson, Vicente, Ulloa, Bridcutt, Barnes, Bruno etc at his disposal when the division was nowhere near as tough as it is now there is no excuse for not walking it especially when an average Cardiff and dull Hulll team that year went up.
And then the disgraceful way he finished his tenure he really let us and himself down.
CH is 10 times the manager (and man) than Gus will ever be

Last edited:

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Have to disagree. Whilst I loved the guy while he was here looking back afterwards he really should have walked this league with the team he had when we only finished 4th.
With the likes of Bridge, Upson, Vicente, Ulloa, Bridcutt, Barnes, Bruno etc at his disposal when the division was nowhere near as tough as it is now there is no excuse for not walking it especially when a dull Hulll team that year went up.

Was just thinking the same. If CH had those players we would never have drawn so many games, which was, in effect, why we finished outside the top two.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He would never have fitted at QPR - Their Chairman would have hated someone like Gus

Why do you say that a personality clash or both want to be the top man? My view was based on their disregard for FFP so he could have brought in who he wanted at whatever price provided they made the funds available.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
With the likes of Bridge, Upson, Vicente, Ulloa, Bridcutt, Barnes, Bruno etc at his disposal when the division was nowhere near as tough as it is now

It was because of him that those calibre players were with us, he sold the club to them.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It was because of him that those calibre players were with us, he sold the club to them.

Well he certainly sold himself to at least two players behind the backs of the club and told them he would take them to his next club (alledgedly :whistle:)

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I'll always be very thankful for winning the league 1 title for us but I'm not convinced he'll ever be a good manager.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

He still didn't get us promoted though did he? He may well have been the reason they joined us in the first place but HE couldn't take it to the next level with a squad that should have pissed that division. If not automatically then at least through the playoffs.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Why do you say that a personality clash or both want to be the top man? My view was based on their disregard for FFP so he could have brought in who he wanted at whatever price provided they made the funds available.

They are not spending what they used to spend but I actually said it because their Chairman although a very successful guy is quite a gentile bloke and Poyet comes across as too brash for him. Ollie is quite brash but he has a major love for QPR which will sit nicely with the Chairman

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They are not spending what they used to spend but I actually said it because their Chairman although a very successful guy is quite a gentile bloke and Poyet comes across as too brash for him. Ollie is quite brash but he has a major love for QPR which will sit nicely with the Chairman

Fully understand

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
He had us playing nice 'tippy tappy' football which generally went down well. Certainly he was a bit on the defensive side and the entertainment in the Championship was behind what we are seeing now.

He was good for Brighton for a long while but it is unfortunate that the divorce became acrimonious.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Some of it is the simple fact that it all works for a manager at a certain club at a certain moment and doesn't in other circumstances. Micky Adams would appear to be the perfect example here, Claudio Ranieri elsewhere.

Some say we should have been promoted with the team Gus had assembled. People care to forget that we had three excellent chances to take the lead in the playoff semi-finals against Palace but Hammond headed straight at the keeper from two yards out, Barnes' shot hit Speroni's elbow and the bar instead of the net and then Barnes' header went in the one place their left back was standing. If any of those had gone in there might have been no conspiracy theories about Gus deliberately losing to them up the road and it might be us and not Selhurst Barcelona challenging for a Champions League place.

Wait, what? A point above the bottom three? Surely not ...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Love him or hate him, we can't ignore him.

Very true, and personally I am the founder member and President of 'Team Love'.

The man, (plus Tano and Charlie or course), could still do a very good job in the Championship in my opinion.

Note for that lot up in Shephers Bush, you could do an awful lot worse.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Just a shame his coaching and man-management ability didn't live up to his sales pitch then. A manager the calibre of Hughton would have walked the league that year with those players. Gus has been found out.

Gus Poyet and Chris Hughton are very different managers, who advocate playing football in totally opposing ways. For that reason alone I think Chris would have found it difficult to achieve promotion with a team geared to playing football to a Gus system.

Similarly the players that Chris has at the club now would find it difficult to adapt to Gus's way of playing the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here