Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

High Definition Television

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I don't get the fuss about HD and the quest for ever better picture quality. It doesn't enhance your enjoyment, that's physically impossible. It's just an opportunity for sky and the manufacturers to fleece people so they can have a marginally better picture. It absolutely plays on people's need to say they've got the next big thing before their friends have it!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I don't get the fuss about HD and the quest for ever better picture quality. It doesn't enhance your enjoyment, that's physically impossible.

It DOES emphatically enhance enjoyment. For instance, in a nature programme, the more detailed close ups look amazing, in long landscape shots you can pick out individual beasts in detail. Arguing that there is no point in higher definition is like not understanding that a person with blurry eyes doesn't need glasses to make things clearer. Clearer and more detail is better.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It DOES emphatically enhance enjoyment. For instance, in a nature programme, the more detailed close ups look amazing, in long landscape shots you can pick out individual beasts in detail. Arguing that there is no point in higher definition is like not understanding that a person with blurry eyes doesn't need glasses to make things clearer. Clearer and more detail is better.

There have been certain leaps that have been well worth the extra money - crt to lcd and scart to hdmi as mentioned above, both of these things made a big difference. The picture on a led 4k tv is undoubtedly clearer than on my 6 year old 1080p that cost £200 in the sale, but it's not £1000s of pounds better.

I still don't think it can enhance enjoyment, my brain won't suddenly release more serotonin if I buy a better TV.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
There have been certain leaps that have been well worth the extra money - crt to lcd and scart to hdmi as mentioned above, both of these things made a big difference. The picture on a led 4k tv is undoubtedly clearer than on my 6 year old 1080p that cost £200 in the sale, but it's not £1000s of pounds better.

I still don't think it can enhance enjoyment, my brain won't suddenly release more serotonin if I buy a better TV.
I think if one appreciates more detail, it follows that the enjoyment/seratonin levels will increase. I have sympathy with your other argument though. That's one of balancing gain against cost. I would like a 4k TV but my current situation dictates that I can't afford one. Early adopters will pave the way for prices to come down.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Have we stepped in to a time warp here - Sky HD has been available for a decade and if you cannot see the difference between SD and HD especially sports then get to specsavers. 4k there is not much content yet but it is coming, personally I would wait for it to become the norm and pick up one of those then, but for now HD is 100% worth it

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
I purchased a 3D TV some three years ago, but sadly despite some early promise it just hasn't taken off.

Shame as I think it is absolutely superb. I certainly never found the wearing of glasses that much of a problem as it was only ever for select programmes.

Some of the Attenborough animal stuff on Sky was top drawer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I can't notice any difference. I threatened to leave Sky so they threw in some extras for the same price to keep me with them. One of them was HD. Now that I have it I can't see any difference. So not only have they hood winked and ripped me off for years. They hood winked and ripped me off again when I threatened to leave.

Moral of the story is, they will give you HD for free if you threaten to leave them quite simply because they aren't really giving you anything extra anyhow. I tried to play them at their own game. I cancelled the sport channels when the football isn't on and reinstated it when it started back up again but I think I ended up missing out on one of the Open Tennis competitions because if that - so I have not been very successful in my negotiations with Sky

It is astonishing sky still charge a premium for HD like it is some sort of new technology. The crazy thing is you have to upgrade again for 4K which is now becoming the new standard.

And they wonder why they are losing customers with their overpriced, outdated and ridiculous pricing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Thanks all who replied to my thread !

It is difficult to recognise any difference between 'SD' and HD if one has never had the opportunity of comparing one with the other.

I have had a 32 " Panasonic (HD ready) TV for some years and subscribed to Sky for a number of years before opting out due to the ridiculous pricing. It seemed better to take on BT TV with SKY Sports 1 and 2 as that appeared better financially however this option now appears to become more and more equally financially outrageous. There has been no option to explore the benefits or otherwise of HD which is why I posted the thread initially.

It seems from many of the replies that it is, as I suspected, something of a con with no real enhancement for the additional cost involved so I suppose I will struggle on with what I have, no point in 'upgrading' to something else which is of questionable value.

Thank you all for your replies.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Had same as you but 26" screen for few years. Reserved this http://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-...i-fi-art-of-interior-tailored-design/p2579837 from Currys as £40 cheaper than this and yesterday. Never used HD capability on old set.

May return as it has to fit into the house. The wife considers that size screen unacceptable from an 'interior design' viewpoint. Luckily her eyes have lost their edge and she has to squint to read the present guide and is ready for upsizing.

Will report back. Not expecting to be able to see the ball spinning when England bowl against India but Ashwin will be a good screen test.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
What's the odds that all these individuals that can't tell the difference between SD and HD are watching using a scart lead.......so they would be right then :)

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
What's the odds that all these individuals that can't tell the difference between SD and HD are watching using a scart lead.......so they would be right then :)
Yep, I can't believe some of the comments here about no difference in quality etc.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
Have just read the latest ramblings on here - most who "can't see the difference" seem to justify this on the basis that Sky are fleecing them as it costs more money or some kind of interior design excuse.

If you don't want to pay the extra or upset your wife, at least be honest and don't blame it/avoid the issue on the nonsense that there is no difference between SD and HD!!

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
For me, there is a marked difference SD to HD, although the 4K is like 3D and a bit gimmicky. HD is plenty good enough for the normal eye. Freeview/Freesat offer all the basics in HD.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I don't get the fuss about HD and the quest for ever better picture quality. It doesn't enhance your enjoyment, that's physically impossible. It's just an opportunity for sky and the manufacturers to fleece people so they can have a marginally better picture. It absolutely plays on people's need to say they've got the next big thing before their friends have it!

Agree completely. The picture and sound I have on my tv are perfectly fine thank you very much. I'm not necessarily saying HD isn't better, but I simply don't need my existing "television enjoyment levels" enhancing.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
Agree completely. The picture and sound I have on my tv are perfectly fine thank you very much. I'm not necessarily saying HD isn't better, but I simply don't need my existing "television enjoyment levels" enhancing.

Each to their own and if you are happy with it, that's all that matters. It's like supporting the Albion for HD, but then again supporting Crawley is an inferior product (SD) but many are happy with that choice ;-)

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Truly astounded a lot of posters can't see the difference between SD and HD.

Not sold on 4K yet, about to dump extortionate sky and go with a humax HD freesat box.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here