Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Geerts - RIP

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Brian Owen ‏@Brian__Owen · 36m36 minutes ago
Currently writing a piece about Tony Geerts, influential figure in Brighton and Sussex Schools football, who has died at the age of 92.

Those who went to Patcham junior or played against them will remember the be-whiskered behemoth that was Tony Geerts. RIP.

PG

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Very sad news. Remember being taken for football and cricket by tony geerts. Good memories

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Unbelievable......I was only telling my boys about life under TG at Patcham Junior School last week, and about how much has changed in schools in the 45 years since I was at Patcham Junior school.

TG was incredibly strict and had a very short fuse. If you annoyed him, he used to grab hold of you, turn you around lift up the back of your shorts and whack you hard on the back of the thigh. Us boys used to call it a Geertsy Slap. It never happened to me though, but I witnessed it numerous times.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
He was coach when I played for Brighton Boys in the late 60's

RIP Mr G

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I think I remember him doing the non-league roundup on Radio Brighton for many years.

PG

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
I can remember to this day one of his sayings from my Patcham Middle School days 'if in doubt... put it out'.

A great influence on many. RIP Tony.

BRILLIANT.... Fulking Seagull.......They're starting to come back to me now..... RUN WIDE DON'T HIDE

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Always remember playing on the wing at school, getting a bit miffed about being constantly fouled and mouthing off a tad with TG reffing.
'Oi, no.7.....come over here'.
Strolled over expecting my first ever booking, but was thrilled when he asked me to come along for my first ever Brighton Boys trial.
The fish and chips after BB matches were of legend!

R.I.P.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
My old teacher from Patcham Middle in the 70s. I was on the fringes of the football and cricket teams. Remember the 'If in doubt, put it out' saying very well. Taught us Maths as well. RIP you old bar steward!

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Always remember playing on the wing at school, getting a bit miffed about being constantly fouled and mouthing off a tad with TG reffing.
'Oi, no.7.....come over here'.
Strolled over expecting my first ever booking, but was thrilled when he asked me to come along for my first ever Brighton Boys trial.
The fish and chips after BB matches were of legend!

R.I.P.

I think TG may well have reffed my most memorable junior game, played at Patcham Junior school. Baker Cup Final 1975 Westdene 3 Moulscoomb 4. Westdene led 3-1 at HT and some talented lad called Paul Gent won it for the 'Scoombers in the 2nd half. I've never forgiven him. Anyone on here play in that game?

PG

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I think TG may well have reffed my most memorable junior game, played at Patcham Junior school. Baker Cup Final 1975 Westdene 3 Moulscoomb 4. Westdene led 3-1 at HT and some talented lad called Paul Gent won it for the 'Scoombers in the 2nd half. I've never forgiven him. Anyone on here play in that game?

PG

I'm a year or so younger, played against Paul Gent in a Sunday side Cup match once, but being a tad younger we were battered. Balfour kid me ???

then and now

Jan 16, 2010

PG
That was my first school final was a great game you was lucky in the first half, gavers up front
you, terrer taylor in midfield, Keith was the tallest keeper I played against at school,,, second half as you say the scoombers turned it on 4-3 job done, after that if I remember moulsecoomb school won all that they came up against until we left for our senior school.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Didn't realise he was still going. I have good & bad memories of him way back in 1957. Yes he was rather fond of slapping boys legs, mine included but I like to think it was just that post war discipline that existed at the time. But I have very fond memories of playing in goal for Patcham when as a team in 1957 we won the league & The Baker Cup that season. He was also in charge of Brighton boys juniors and I along with others including Nicky Shieldkamp & Jeff Humphries played all the games that season. Still have the b&w photos of the time and remember it so well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here