Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leicester City u23 v Brighton And Hove Albion u23 Holmes park 19.00 Ko PL2 tonight

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Last edited:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
The game has changed since the likes of Wardy. I hope that he makes it as he certainly looks exciting and knows how to put the ball in the net. 3rd round of the cup will be an interesting match to see.

Wardy could turn and leave defender standing dont think Connelly goes past players.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If #NeverWrong says he's not big enough for the first team, then he's not big enough for the first team.

I'm gonna booooo the short arse no matter how many goals he scores.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
The game has changed since the likes of Wardy. I hope that he makes it as he certainly looks exciting and knows how to put the ball in the net. 3rd round of the cup will be an interesting match to see.

Messi is small and scores the odd goal now and then! As said earlier a loan to a good League 1 club in January should be on the menu for him.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I've seen him a few times for the under 23s and he's been brilliant. A constant threat and a deadly finisher at that level. He has a great understanding with Gyokeres.

I think it's a fair point about height. Purely from the point of view, we know that Hughton has built the whole squad around playing 1 main target man with a deeper lying link man. It's hard to see where a fox in the box type fits into this as Hughton was quick enough to sideline Baldock as soon as we got promoted.

How Hughton uses Andone (who's a fair bit bigger than Connolly) may offer a clue as to what the longer term plan is and how, if at all, he plans to integrate our u23 strikers

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Jermain Defoe - 5ft 7in
Theo Walcott - 5ft 9in
Sergio Ageuro - 5ft 8in
Ryan Fraser - 5ft 4in
Mo Salah - 5ft 9in

useless, the lot of them

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Jermain Defoe - 5ft 7in
Theo Walcott - 5ft 9in
Sergio Ageuro - 5ft 8in
Ryan Fraser - 5ft 4in
Mo Salah - 5ft 9in

useless, the lot of them

Warwick Davis 3 ft 6in - shit at football, so #NeverWrong might be correct, after all.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think you muddling size with physicality, if you look at the smaller players that progress they have some quite amazing dynamism, so although height isnt crucial other aspects of their overall physicality is.

In many cases a bigger man has an advantage to achieve the critical elements to become more physically effective at the top level, I haven't seen Connolly but ultimately if as is likely there is a very similar player at say Arsenal that can stump up bigger and better physical stats. whether that's down to his bigger frame or just pure genetics then Connolly might have a bit of a problem, it depends on what his comparable physical data are compared to similar U23 strikers internationally that are vying for a Premier League career as well.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Jermain Defoe - 5ft 7in
Theo Walcott - 5ft 9in
Sergio Ageuro - 5ft 8in
Ryan Fraser - 5ft 4in
Mo Salah - 5ft 9in

useless, the lot of them

you have been able to pin poiint 5 out of the entire Premier League but disregarded the way that we play with 1 main striker and no fox in the box I think that he has looked very good but just wonder how far he can go with our style of play.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41818468

No correlation between a team's height and results, says study

There is no correlation between the average height of a team's players and its success, says a new report.

A CIES Football Observatory study found the average height in 31 European top flights was just under 6ft (182.1cm).

Manchester City and Everton were the Premier League's shortest teams on average, with West Brom and Huddersfield the tallest

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
How small is Connolly?

Shorter than he appears!

Here he is, pictured with the Republic of Ireland U-17 squad that competed at the 2017 UEFA European U-17 Championship finals in Croatia in May 2017. He is number 11 (left, middle row) and, if you look closely, he is standing on "tippy toes" (as his then U-16 Albion teammate Danny Cashman stated on twitter at the time!):-

ROIU17.JPG

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here