Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reminder to Supporters

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Do other clubs threaten to enforce this so heavily? Or just turn a blind eye? And this makes it look as though it's for home games too - so no ST sharing?

Well that's just it, I don't think the club have been enforcing it at all. After all, how do you police it? I don't think it's much more than a general reminder, that us fans shouldn't be doing it at all.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I think as Bozza has already said whilst technically against the rules passing your card onto a trusted friend or family member wont be a problem. This is very much about preventing touting which is a thing in the hallowed land that is the premier league

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Puts the club's stance into a proper perspective - good find. Manchester United match: £350+.

Chances are they haven't even got the tickets yet, but I think any season ticket holder found cashing in like that deserves anything they get in terms of bans etc. Hate touting.

Lines are blurred with 1901 I suppose as they can legally pass on seats - and some are bound to take the opportunity to subsidise their membership.... harder to stop.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
There were check's at QPR as I was checked.
Thought this was brought in as Away games were selling out.
People were buying tickets for away games and using their fan number to gain loyalty points.
But they were not going to games but giving the ticket to friends.
There were issues at Forest where people caused trouble, had tickets but were not known to Club.
How did they get heir tickets?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I guess the club now need a certain amount of ST churn in order to satisfy those on the ST waiting list Who Have Paid Good Money To Join the Queue that their queue is moving. How long before there's a full-on slum clearance of the North Stand, complete with Premier League Ready rebranding of that loveliest of stands as An Opportunity For An EPL Ringside Seat?

Sadly, wouldn't put it past the club anymore.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
REMINDER TO SUPPORTERS

Finally supporters are reminded that tickets are strictly non-transferable and any transfer or resale of tickets is illegal (under section 166 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994, as amended by the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006).

The club has a zero tolerance policy with regards to this and anyone found to be breaking the law is liable to face criminal prosecution and would be banned indefinitely from purchasing home and away match tickets.

The club will launch a new official ticket exchange for the 2017/18 season via seagullstickets.com - with details to follow shortly. It will enable season-ticket holders to safely and securely offer their tickets for resale when unable to attend.

Blimey, this may have been there all the time, but is the club really going to ban indefinitely a fan who can't go and lets a relative or mate go for free instead?

I am getting rather fed up with this sort of tone in communications from the club. we all should know that transfer of STs is not allowed. This message says it is illegal. If it is illegal for STs how come it is OK for 1901?

So the club has a zero tolerance to this now. What about when they took money for ST upgrades?

I suspect that we all get that an unfettered market in football tickets is undesirable but why be so heavy handed with your best customers?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I am getting rather fed up with this sort of tone in communications from the club. we all should know that transfer of STs is not allowed. This message says it is illegal. If it is illegal for STs how come it is OK for 1901?

So the club has a zero tolerance to this now. What about when they took money for ST upgrades?

I suspect that we all get that an unfettered market in football tickets is undesirable but why be so heavy handed with your best customers?
It is OK for 1901 as that is a club membership and as such is legally different. A season ticket is not however legally a club membership and so different laws apply.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It is OK for 1901 as that is a club membership and as such is legally different. A season ticket is not however legally a club membership and so different laws apply.

Is this really the case? I had the impression that it is okay to transfer tickets with the club's permission.....and for whatever reason the club permit 1901ers to do this. And I take transfer to mean pass on with out taking any money. If a 1901er was making money from their ticket they'll be in trouble and rightly so.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Is this really the case? I had the impression that it is okay to transfer tickets with the club's permission.....and for whatever reason the club permit 1901ers to do this. And I take transfer to mean pass on with out taking any money. If a 1901er was making money from their ticket they'll be in trouble and rightly so.
It would also be ok to transfer match tickets with the club's permission. They don't give this, it's guesswork as to why not.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The club have a duty to look after all of their fans even those stupid enough to purchase tickets from a tout. If the club intend to deal with ticket touts then they may have to upset supporters who purchase from a tout as both been involved in breaking the law.

If a STH lends their ticket to a friend and they create trouble and make themselves known to stewards or the police then both the individual and the STH could get in trouble.

But short of an ID check for every supporter it will be difficult to police, so surely this is a simple reminder of not to assosciate yourselves or ST with morons who misbehave

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The club have a duty to look after all of their fans even those stupid enough to purchase tickets from a tout. If the club intend to deal with ticket touts then they may have to upset supporters who purchase from a tout as both been involved in breaking the law.

If a STH lends their ticket to a friend and they create trouble and make themselves known to stewards or the police then both the individual and the STH could get in trouble.

But short of an ID check for every supporter it will be difficult to police, so surely this is a simple reminder of not to assosciate yourselves or ST with morons who misbehave

Oh bloody Hell...I'd better have a word with my son. :wink:

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I have had a look at the legislation and that is, as usual, quite instructive. What is clear is that the club is not quoting from the legislation, hence the confusion. The club says "Finally supporters are reminded that tickets are strictly non-transferable and any transfer or resale of tickets is illegal (under section 166 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994, as amended by the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006)." The actual legislation says it is an offence " for an unauthorised person to:

Sell a ticket for a designated football match or
Otherwise to dispose of such a ticket to another person "

So clearly selling a ticket is illegal, but only if it is unauthorised (i.e. "resale"). So the practice of selling is legal if authorised, e.g. using a ticket exchange or if you are a member of the 1901 club. So it is not the club status of 1901 that is important but that the club authorises transfer. The definition of "dispose" is harder to nail down but it seems intended to stop touts including a ticket as part of a wider transaction including. "hospitality" or "souvenir", e.g. buy this scarf, get a free ticket. This is not the same as the club's looser "transfer".

"The club has a zero tolerance policy with regards to this". I question what "this" is. Selling your ticket to a tout? Giving to a relative/friend? Are they the same thing? The first is obviously selling and therefore illegal. Who can tell with the second. By including "transfer" with "resale" the club appears heavy handed when it has no need to be. If they are worried about touting then say so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here