Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shoreham Air show crash

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No definite news yet but Sussex Police don't believe a car of the model and make of my ex-wife's was involved so kind of relieving news. Also, and this will sound heartless, as victims are named pubically it reduces the chances that my children were involved ..... I can only send my heartfelt condolences to those that now know they have been affected by this accident, fingers crossed that I am not.

Fingers still crossed for you.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
All rationale in regards to safety seems to vanish when it comes to air shows. Performing inverted flight, rolls, spins at low level is always going to be risky business( even more so in a 50 year old aircraft, tbh) . There's just not enough altitude to resolve any problems when things go wrong.

Eastbourne Airborne moved the planes out to perform over the sea after an accident some years back. An old Cold War Russian or Czech plane crashed into the water which I guess proved that that measure worked. But what would happen if there was a mid-air collision?

I do believe that land-based airshows above airfields seem to pose more risks, there was a horrendous crash at Ramstein Airbase in Germany some time ago.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Some t****** on Twitter is moaning because his dad paid for tickets and wants to know if they are going to refund him- some people jeez!!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
No definite news yet but Sussex Police don't believe a car of the model and make of my ex-wife's was involved so kind of relieving news. Also, and this will sound heartless, as victims are named pubically it reduces the chances that my children were involved ..... I can only send my heartfelt condolences to those that now know they have been affected by this accident, fingers crossed that I am not.

It might sound heartless, but I had thought exactly the same. The more people are named, the less chance.......

Hope you get in touch soon to remove all doubt.

And absolutely dreadful for those who are involved. Three young men with all to live for so far.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Someone took a photo of the jet moments before it crashed. I appreciate not everyone wants to view any images, so here's a link to the paper's website for those that want to read/see more:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/aviation/11818912/Shoreham-air-show-plane-crash-LIVE.html

You won't believe it, these are the first images of the crash I've seen. I'm staggered that the pilot survived tbh. No doubt they'll be able to diagnose why the plane seemed not to be able to pull out of the loop in time. But it just emphasises how dangerous it is to have something like this near to a main road. But then airfields usually are.

I remember once when I was driving up to a show at Biggin Hill from the Croydon direction, I got "bounced" by a Spitfire just diving down into the valley below the airfield, Scared the life out of me, it was at treetop height. Reading some of the old wartime memories published by pilots, low flying was almost a requirement. That's how Bader lost his legs.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Does anybody else feel like these kind of incidents appear to happen far too frequently at these air shows?

Yes. If daredevils want to dice with death, they should do so over the sea. People can watch from the beach and shipping can be warned.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
What's sobering about that shot from The Telegraph (the one added at 11:36, looking down on the plane from above), is that there is a crowd of people on the verge to the right, by the pub, and a line of traffic held at the red lights. Somehow both were missed, or we could be looking at fatalities well into double figures.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre

Being in a similar situation as you, waiting and getting more worried as time goes by, I suppose it is slightly easier as victims are named. I have at least established, thanks to [MENTION=19921]Doc Lynam[/MENTION] that my brother's car was not involved, but that only means he would have gone with his friend. However Sussex Police cannot still give me more information. The only comfort I experience is thanks to the constant updates on NSC.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I think now is precisely the time - especially as there will be plenty more air shows before the summer is out. If a protocol needs to be put in place as of today to prevent further ground casualties so far as is reasonably possible then it should be done immediately.

As someone who many years ago to Formula 1 GP's there is I fear a sense of macabre among many attendees of these events. You don't want anyone to be killed or injured, and yet..

The difference between Airshows and Grand Prix or Motor or Bike Rallies (where in the past a number of spectators have been killed or injured by cars/bikes going off the road) is that at the latter the casualties are directly linked to the attendance of the event.

In this tragic instance the casulaties just happened to be driving in the area, that's the real calamity.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Reading the tribute his family made to Matthew Grimstone, on the telegraph link above, it stated he works for the Albion. I Hope the club honour him and the other victims with a minutes silence at next game.

RIP and condolences to his and every other family / friends affected

quotes_1817837a.gif
The family are in total shock at losing our dearest son Matthew so tragically at 23 years old. He was the kindest person you could ever meet with a great wit. In his 23 years we can honestly say he never lost his temper.

"Matthew loved football and working for the Albion at first on the grounds team at Withdean and now at the new training ground in Lancing.
"He played as goalkeeper for Worthing United and before that at Mile Oak and Saltdean. Worthing United gained promotion having won Division 2 last season as well as winning the Division 2 Cup. He was also a talented referee.
"Matt has been taken from us at just 23 and we still think he is going to walk through the front door any minute now.
"Our family wish deepest sympathy to the family of Jacob Schilt who was travelling to Worthing with Matthew for Saturday’s game, also the families of the other victims.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Finally, confirmation that all my family are safe .... really, really, really releaved.
[MENTION=887]Boroseagull[/MENTION] - hope good news comes your way soon.

RIP to all those that lost their lives and my sincere condolences to the families and friends. Really shocking incident.

Many thanks to everyone on here for their good wishes and prayers - very much appreciated and just shows, despite our differences sometimes, we really are one great big family.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Being in a similar situation as you, waiting and getting more worried as time goes by, I suppose it is slightly easier as victims are named. I have at least established, thanks to [MENTION=19921]Doc Lynam[/MENTION] that my brother's car was not involved, but that only means he would have gone with his friend. However Sussex Police cannot still give me more information. The only comfort I experience is thanks to the constant updates on NSC.

Thinking of you too Sir.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Finally, confirmation that all my family are safe .... really, really, really releaved.
[MENTION=887]Boroseagull[/MENTION] - hope good news comes your way soon.

RIP to all those that lost their lives and my sincere condolences to the families and friends. Really shocking incident.

Many thanks to everyone on here for their good wishes and prayers - very much appreciated and just shows, despite our differences sometimes, we really are one great big family.

Good to hear.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here