Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cooking steak tonight and I always get it wrong

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Having searched 'steak' I was surprised by the lack of cooking tips for something that is easily cockupable.

The only one I've found so far is this from [MENTION=21314]Raleigh Chopper[/MENTION]:-

After years of experimenting I do a decent steak.
Steak rested at room temperature.
Pan very hot.
A coating of groundnut oil, salt and pepper.
Place in pan do not move it, cook it to your choice.
Put a knob of butter in pan for final 30 seconds.
Take off heat and leave to rest for 10 mins.

RC highlights a couple of the same mistakes I always make, pan not hot enough and I can't stop myself from turning the bloody thing over.

But nevertheless I know I'm still not going to end up with a nice 1/2 an inch thick, medium rare, sirloin steak.

Any other advice for what is a dark art to me, would be greatly appreciated.

After I'll be eating some Yeo Valley Lemon Curd yogurt, which will be glorious.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You hoping for some clenbuterol on that steak?

Not after the amount of erythropoietin I've just necked.

Sod the bicycle I feel like I could run a snickers.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Heston Blumenthal advises turning it every 30secs.
Jamie Oliver recommends turning it every 60secs.

I tend to split the difference and go with 45secs, tends to work for me.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I prefer Grilling..If you like rare..grill red hot, Steak very close,time depending on thickness of Steak...Medium Steak slightly further away but cooked for longer..Well done(ruined) further away and longer cooking.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Heston Blumenthal advises turning it every 30secs.
Jamie Oliver recommends turning it every 60secs.

I tend to split the difference and go with 45secs, tends to work for me.

There we differ, I never turn mine more than once.

Very hot pan, no oil ( If you want to use oil, then oil the steak and not the pan ).
Season the steak.

Medium = 3 minutes each side
Medium/Well = 4 minutes each side
Well = 5 minutes each side

Leave to rest for at least 5 minutes. Based on a steak the thickness as mentioned.

Last edited:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Firstly,I would do away with the 'not moving it' procedure, seems odd. You no doubt know, by now, how long you cook it for as you've specified your preference. Bearing that in mind turn the steak at least 4 times so each turn gets an equal amount of time cooking. Pan needs to be smoking hot, and only oil the steak.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
2mins either side for sirloin, melts in the mouth!

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Well season meat, hot pan, veg oil, let meat brown off, turn when you choose (try overestimating the cook through the meat because you can always give it more not less),
put a knife in meat and see how much blood and juice comes out, or make a small cut in meat at one side to see how deep you have cooked. Have pan ready to go on the side at the end if you realise it needs another blast.

Another helpful tip

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Allow steak to come up to room temperature. Get pan scaldingly hot. Oil the steak not the pan, dont season as burnt pepper tastes horrible. Cook 2 mins each side, take off the heat and allow to rest. Then season and in the same pan rest with the fatty side resting in the pan. Always allow the steak to rest for as long as you have cooked it for.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I read a receipe from James Martin he said salt & pepper each side then 30secs each side in a hot pan then place in hot oven for 3. 4 or 5 mins depending on rare medium or well done. Then take out and leave to rest for 10 mins, this has never let me down. I always have steak rare irrespective of cut.

When my wife is cooking it she does as above having cooked the mushrooms and tomatoes and saute potatoes and puts them all in the oven while she deep fries the onion rings. Absolutely lovely.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Having searched 'steak' I was surprised by the lack of cooking tips for something that is easily cockupable.

The only one I've found so far is this from [MENTION=21314]Raleigh Chopper[/MENTION]:-

After years of experimenting I do a decent steak.
Steak rested at room temperature.
Pan very hot.
A coating of groundnut oil, salt and pepper.
Place in pan do not move it, cook it to your choice.
Put a knob of butter in pan for final 30 seconds.
Take off heat and leave to rest for 10 mins.

RC highlights a couple of the same mistakes I always make, pan not hot enough and I can't stop myself from turning the bloody thing over.

But nevertheless I know I'm still not going to end up with a nice 1/2 an inch thick, medium rare, sirloin steak.

Any other advice for what is a dark art to me, would be greatly appreciated.

After I'll be eating some Yeo Valley Lemon Curd yogurt, which will be glorious.

More or less spot on, I wouldn't add any salt to the steak untill it's cooked.

Marinade the streak first in olive oil ,garlic ,onion add kiwi juice or lime juice to the marinade this will break down the meat and make it more tender.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Raleigh Chopper isn't far off.

Hot pan but NOT smoking. Dry pan. Brush the steak on both sides with olive oil and season with salt an pepper. I only turn once.

The crucial thing though is NOT to time it. Steaks are cut to different thicknesses unless you get yours from a place that has a consistent machine for cutting them that never gets re-calibrated. The way to test them is to press lightly on the top and compare it to a "press test" on your hand.

Make a circle of your thumb and first finger With your other hand press lightly on the piece of flesh beneath your thumb and remember it. That's what a rare steak feels like. Then do the same with your thumb and middle finger. That's what medium rare feels like.

If it's any tighter than that then you've ****ed it and you might as well have crisps and salad for dinner.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Raleigh Chopper isn't far off.

Hot pan but NOT smoking. Dry pan. Brush the steak on both sides with olive oil and season with salt an pepper. I only turn once.

The crucial thing though is NOT to time it. Steaks are cut to different thicknesses unless you get yours from a place that has a consistent machine for cutting them that never gets re-calibrated. The way to test them is to press lightly on the top and compare it to a "press test" on your hand.

Make a circle of your thumb and first finger With your other hand press lightly on the piece of flesh beneath your thumb and remember it. That's what a rare steak feels like. Then do the same with your thumb and middle finger. That's what medium rare feels like.

If it's any tighter than that then you've ****ed it and you might as well have crisps and salad for dinner.

If you need to do the the 'thumb & forefinger pinching' trick to know how your steak is done, then you're doomed, eat a plate of pasta and save yourself some money .......

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

lethaldrizzle

Apr 30, 2007
South East London
I feel people don't put enough emphasis on the importance of letting it come up to room temperature before cooking. If it's a fat steak that means getting it out of the fridge a good few hours before you cook it. Sounds stupid but it's easy to forget to leave enough time (a mistake I've definitely made in the past).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here