Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you thought the Albion's squad was thin on the ground...

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If this was Brighton anyone who dared mention it would be branded a bedwetter.

Then a flurry of "It's JULY. Jeezz.." Posts would follow.

Add a :lol: next time.

It's funny how the NSC harbingers of doom can seep into your conscious.
As a response to your post B, I looked up our squad.

Much to my surprise we have 17 players with first team experience, plus 2 new signings.

I genuinely thought we had considerably less and were using developments squad players in Spain, because we didn't have enough to go around.
Sure 19 ain't great, but it's a damn sight better than some on here would have us believe.

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Much to my surprise we have 17 players with first team experience, plus 2 new signings.

I genuinely thought we had considerably less and were using developments squad players in Spain, because we didn't have enough to go around.
Sure 19 ain't great, but it's a damn sight better than some on here would have us believe.

19 + Walton and Fenelon, would mean perhaps 4 more needed to give a decent 25 man squad.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
19 + Walton and Fenelon, would mean perhaps 4 more needed to give a decent 25 man squad.

There's a bit more to it than that.
It's still a pretty young squad, but nevertheless currently our squad is half decent, which is the fact some posters need to remember.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the article on the Beeb, hence posting it here.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
zzzzzz

No, they really wouldn't. Blackpool have EIGHT players. Its really not a comparable situation.

Only a bedwetter would post something as silly as that. You're comparing us to the situation at Blackpool? Really?

I thought [MENTION=307]Biscuit[/MENTION] was saying that if Brighton only had eight players (i.e if Brighton were in the same situation as Blackpool) there would be a meltdown on here. If that's the case, then I think he's got a point.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I thought [MENTION=307]Biscuit[/MENTION] was saying that if Brighton only had eight players (i.e if Brighton were in the same situation as Blackpool) there would be a meltdown on here. If that's the case, then I think he's got a point.

No, that isn't waht he was saying at all. Of course there would (rightly) be meltdown if we found ourselves in their position.

Biscuit's point, joking or not, was that anyone who expressed dissatisfaction at such a state of affairs, would be derided as a 'bedwetter'. Which clearly, they wouldn't as it would (UNLIKE our ACTUAL situation) be a genuine cause for real concern.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
No, that isn't waht he was saying at all. Of course there would (rightly) be meltdown if we found ourselves in their position.

Biscuit's point, joking or not, was that anyone who expressed dissatisfaction at such a state of affairs, would be derided as a 'bedwetter'. Which clearly, they wouldn't as it would (UNLIKE our ACTUAL situation) be a genuine cause for real concern.

Gotcha :thumbsup:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
They have just cancelled their trip to Spain next week (at La Manga) "in order to spend more time on player recruitment".

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I had it in my mind that Jose Riga had been sacked at Charlton, but he wasn't. He chose to leave, for Blackpool. What was he THINKING!?

Wrong(ish).
He was appointed on a short deal to the end of the season at Charlton having worked for their new owner in Belgium. He expected the deal to be renewed after kweping them up but it wasnt.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Only because Oyston is personally pocketing every penny he can.

Hardly - they have to make the profit first!

Oyston has undoubtedly made millions out of Blackpool but he couldn't have done that if the club wasn't profitable. The club has even loaned over £23 million to its parent company - loans that it will probably never see repaid.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Easy to make a profit as you asset strip a company, gets more difficult when you need to actually do the business that the business is in!

I don't see how you can say the Oyston family have asset stripped Blackpool FC as they have been owners for more than 25 years! They've certainly taken a lot from the club but asset wise and cash wise the club is richer now than when they took over.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Hardly - they have to make the profit first!

Oyston has undoubtedly made millions out of Blackpool but he couldn't have done that if the club wasn't profitable. The club has even loaned over £23 million to its parent company - loans that it will probably never see repaid.

Either that is droll in the extreme or it is a very charitable interpretation of where parachute payments and EPL prize money have gone.......and who owns rhe parent company exactly?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Either that is droll in the extreme or it is a very charitable interpretation of where parachute payments and EPL prize money have gone.......and who owns rhe parent company exactly?

In simple terms the Oyston family made a good investment back in the '80s and have, through the fortune of the club reaching the Premier League, been able to withdraw the large profits the club have made from this excursion.

Right or wrong for them to do so? - I don't know, would we complain if/when BHAFC are in the same position TB started withdrawing funds from the club rather than spending the money on new players? ???

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here