Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How many players SHORT are the Albion right now?

How many more players do we need?

• 0 - we have a PLR squad already

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 0.4%

Votes: 6 2.1%

Votes: 54 19.1%

Votes: 85 30.0%

Votes: 84 29.7%
  • 6 or more

Votes: 53 18.7%

• Total voters

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
I would certainly have expected to have got a couple more in by now. Plenty of time yet though.
The only trouble is that if there's been problems recruiting our top targets thus far, at some point a panic button gets hit and there's a last minute rush of mediocrity.
Better to take the time and secure 3 real quality players, than spam in a load of squad fillers who do nothing to improve the side.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Exactly what someone at the club said in interview too..... wasted time.... but we are being either outbid, ..or.... we are just not an attractive option, at least not in those players and agents eyes.

I suspect another week or two will drift by.... then Naylor and the club will publish a disclaimer... something like "it's a tough market, tougher than we thought"....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

In fact they've said it already...

"It’s not easy for a lot of teams because the market is a little bit crazy. We have to try to do our best.
“The top sides have a lot of money. The other teams are spending too, but we will see what we can do.”
"I'm working on it All the time. You have to be on the phone and you are training (at the same time).
“I have very good staff and they can do the job.

OH hang on.

that was Rafa.
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...ews/rafa-benitez-gives-verdict-years-13311384

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
My record on this stuff is poor - I thought we were very light in the striking department last season - but somehow with Murray, Hemed and Baldock it worked. To nick enough points off everyone outside the top six or seven teams, which honestly must be what we are trying to achieve, will need a lot more quality if not quantity. But then again I was wrong last season........

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Haven't we had that today with the interview with Hughton?

Yep.

“We didn’t have four or five loans that we’ve got to replace or, like the season before, three or four players that were out of contract and that we needed to replace.
“It’s been a good pre-season so far. The feeling’s good. We are not even a week-and-a-half into pre-season, there’s still a long way to go.“We have to do what are the right deals for the club. This club is not at the levels yet that we can go out and spend big, big money, the sort of money that clubs that have been in the division for many years would now be paying.
“We are not that level of club yet, so we have to work hard together.
“We know which players we can get and which players are out of our limits. Recruitment is always a tough one.”

via http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb...by_Albion_s_slow_progress_in_transfer_market/

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I am tempted to put up a poll to measure the current confidence levels of the Albion faithful (on here) but I fear it'll just create another similar thread to this. It can wait.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Same as always, just a credible strike partner for our only credible striker. The Albion's eternal blind spot.

I do get this but surely last season was an exception so not an eternal blind spot after all. Baldock and Hemed were credible partners for our credible striker and scored 50-60 goals between them (including AK ) and we were promoted with 3 games to go. How much better could it have been striker wise ?.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I do get this but surely last season was an exception so not an eternal blind spot after all. Baldock and Hemed were credible partners for our credible striker and scored 50-60 goals between them (including AK ) and we were promoted with 3 games to go. How much better could it have been striker wise ?.

Isn't there a (valid?) argument that we were rather fortunate to get through the season without an injury crisis with only 3 strikers?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Isn't there a (valid?) argument that we were rather fortunate to get through the season without an injury crisis with only 3 strikers?

Here he comes - the [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] we know and love!

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Here he comes - the [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] we know and love!

Lol. It's all good. We did well with the strikers last season, so the 'argument' didn't come to pass.

This season, we need to wait and see.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Calculated risk?

Or someone's done some number crunching and it's all good?

I don't know, you'll have to ask them, there are enough of them. They tend to be dismissive in a sense that our promotion obviously proves everyone wrong who was worried about starting the season with 3 strikers, even though it could have gone very differently with some bad luck. Obviously it was some kind of master plan that us mere mortals cannot comprehend.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I don't know, you'll have to ask them, there are enough of them. They tend to be dismissive in a sense that our promotion obviously proves everyone wrong who was worried about starting the season with 3 strikers, even though it could have gone very differently with some bad luck. Obviously it was some kind of master plan that us mere mortals cannot comprehend.

It was a simple plan. Don't allow 2 strikers to be injured at the same time.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
Seven. Some as squad players, some starters. Full back, striker, and midfield are the positions we need for starting 11 so I'd try to sign as soon as possible for integration. Another defender, another goalkeeper, another midfield, another forward as squad additions can follow and integrate over time.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As well as having Murray, Hemed and Baldock, last season we:

1) Brought Akpom in. Now he turned out to be a bit crap, but he should have been a decent option to have as a 4th striker.

2) Had Knockaert, Skalak and Murphy all of who have previously played and/or can play more centrally if required. Largely they weren't. I'd suggest even Solly could deputise there if needed.

3) Had Richie Towell returning to the fray. A bit of an unknown quantity certainly, but he also knows where the goal is.

As it turned out despite buying Shane "why are we breaking our transfer record on a central defender we don't need" Duffy, it was central defence where we were looking somewhat threadbare. Fortunately Lewis Dunk pulled off a miracle in not picking up the yellows we all anticipated him getting.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
It was a simple plan. Don't allow 2 strikers to be injured at the same time.

Well quite. My heart hadn't taken enough of a beating the previous season from our holding on to many 1 goal leads, that last season we threw in the extra coronary inducing limps from Murray/Baldock. Irrational fear though I'm sure, perhaps some on here were privy to Muzza's bones being laden with steel or such like.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here