Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2018

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
The Ivy In The Lanes

Pre-booked (required I believe) and a latent wedding anniversary meal as we were away that week.

Nicely set up restaurant, bit Arty Deco type theme but nice ambience, huge bar in the middle and for Mrs Hut a first ever return to where she worked originally when at post office counters no less.

Starters - me Crispy Duck Salad and the better half Asparagus with truffle holandaise, duck a tad crispy but nice salad and well presented and the review on the asparagus was very good, nice sauce etc.

Mains - Mrs had steak, eggs and chips and myself munkfish and prawn curry. Again both well cooked, seasoned etc very presentable and all washed down with a very decent red.

12.5% service charge added, more than usually pay but it was good, well presented food.

Some comments, to me a little to pretentious and trying too hard to be a top class service but the food is definitely not matching the service. Now this is not to demean the meals in anyway - they were good and very tasty but not sure why the requirement for the impression of total top class dining when the food is not that standard. Put it this way that restaurant I reviewed earlier on the sea front is around the same price but infinitely better by a country mile.

these Ivy franchises are safe pairs of hands, it's just browns all over again really isnt it. Will rapidly lose cachet as they spread to the provinces, once there is one down the marina or bluewater then its game over. Had lunch in Broadwick Street one the other day and its fantastic value for the location.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Having a few times booked a table for 2-4 people at a restaurant and found myself sharing a restaurant with a large group booking, my heart always sinks when this happens. Catering for a large group is invariably - or at least in my experience - detrimental to the dining experience of the other diners in terms of service and general ambience. Or have I just been unlucky on multiple occasions?

That's slightly different, preferences on where and how you like to dine is a different to the logic of having to pay extra to be catered for in a larger group.

Although I get your point, I don't think restaurants have ever cited that as the reason why some impose an extra charge.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
That's slightly different, preferences on where and how you like to dine is a different to the logic of having to pay extra to be catered for in a larger group.

Although I get your point, I don't think restaurants have ever cited that as the reason why some impose an extra charge.
But you're not really paying extra - you are just having the tip that you have already said you would have left formalised. You are only paying extra if you don't usually leave a decent tip.

As Clamp said, this is about protecting waitstaff's income when the risk of low/no tip is not sufficiently spread.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
But you're not really paying extra - you are just having the tip that you have already said you would have left formalised. You are only paying extra if you don't usually leave a decent tip.

As Clamp said, this is about protecting waitstaff's income when the risk of low/no tip is not sufficiently spread.

My broader point is that it is the owners responsibility to protect waitstaff's income not an undetermined future customer, why should a waiter's income need protecting by a voluntray contribution offered by a customer, a vague amount (that might be high/low/average) that is largely based on a % of the cost of the meal that doesn't necessarily reflect the service delivered anyway, it doesn't seem a very good way of protecting anything.

As for the formalisation of the prescribed tip within a group, if it isnt 'extra' as this is what would be given anyway, why does it need formalising in the first place.

My point isnt 'anti' waitstaff quite the opposite, it just seems a culturally embedding practice that doesnt seem to make much sense.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
7 Bone Church Road.

I thought I would post my thoughts in here as I havent seen it covered.

I have been several times since christmas and I have got to say this is a great addition for the Hove scene, well worth checking out if you are local or don't fancy traverlling into Brighton. I would say it is comparable to Meat Liquor on London Road, but for me 7 Bone wipes the floor with it. Great selection of Burgers, sides and a decent drinks menu too. The Buffalo sauce on the wings is possibly the best i have ever had, keeps me going back for more. I would say my last trip was a little disapointing as portions seemed to be on the smaller side and they had run out of onion strings, but I would certainly recommned.

8/10.

Excellent burgers, and love the chilli cheese fries too......not been to this one but there is one in Eastbourne.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You still havent convinced me :)

I cannot fathom why any business should balk at a 'larger group', especially if you are in the business where there is a likelyhood of a larger group wishing to use your business regularly.

It shouldn't be for me to directly shoulder the costs for the underpaid dishwasher, waiter or soux chef above what they said we would pay on entering their premises, why would a business wish to burden their own customers with a plea for 'added payment' to cover costs that they themselves haven't done ?

For the record I do pay tips and rarely based on the service provided, usually 10%+ on top of the final bill no matter what, but just being culturally programmed to do so doesnt stop me thinking how illogical it is.

Doesn't matter if you're convinced or not, it's the reason why they do it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not only is it a busy day in the football world it’s also the Frau’s birthday. Tonight I shall be squeezing into my single pair of trousers, putting on the pointy shoes, a shirt and taking her to https://www.facil.de/en/ for an evening of the tasting menu and wine pairing. I’ll report back tomorrow but I’m looking forward to this.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
My broader point is that it is the owners responsibility to protect waitstaff's income not an undetermined future customer, why should a waiter's income need protecting by a voluntray contribution offered by a customer, a vague amount (that might be high/low/average) that is largely based on a % of the cost of the meal that doesn't necessarily reflect the service delivered anyway, it doesn't seem a very good way of protecting anything.
But whilst people continue to tip then the tips become an expected part of a waiter's income. What the service charge for large groups does is precisely what you are saying - it is the owner putting in a mechanism to stop the waitstaff's income from being at the whim of the customer. One alternative is to have a service charge on all tables which creates its own problems.

As for the formalisation of the prescribed tip within a group, if it isnt 'extra' as this is what would be given anyway, why does it need formalising in the first place.
I was using "you" previously to mean you, BigGully, in particular. As most people who work in restaurants will tell you, large tables tend to under tip or not tip at all for a number of reasons and it is for this that the formalisation is seen as necessary.

My point isnt 'anti' waitstaff quite the opposite, it just seems a culturally embedding practice that doesnt seem to make much sense.

I don't disagree with this but part of the problem is that tipping is not sufficiently or consistently culturally embedded. If everyone knew and accepted when and what that they should tip then there would be fewer problems but whilst that is not the case it does not seem fair to have someone's livelihood dependent on the whim of a customer and saying that restaurateurs should pay more and that tips should be a genuine extra is not economically realistic and would result in customers paying even more (the money for the extra wages has to come from somewhere.) Service charge on all bills deals with this but throws up a whole lot of other problems.

In many ways, the best thing would be for all service to be explicitly included in the price of the food and drink and for tipping not to be generally practised. This would mean that restaurateurs could pay staff properly and treat them as professionals, not have to worry about accounting for tips or service charge. The main drawback is that prices would be 10-15% higher than the place next door which either doesn't include service or has a service charge.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would have no problem with a restaurant displaying the notice on the menu of A service charge of 10% will be added to all bills should you feel that your service etc didnt warrant that please advise the management and remove it from your payment.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I would have no problem with a restaurant displaying the notice on the menu of A service charge of 10% will be added to all bills should you feel that your service etc didnt warrant that please advise the management and remove it from your payment.

Hmmm on the one and only occasion that l refused to pay the 'discretionary' 10% service charge, (at a curry house in Hassocks), where the service had been truly abysmal, l was made to feel very ungrateful indeed.

As far as l am concerned anyway these establishments shoot themselves in the foot, because if the service really has been good l will reward the waiting staff accordingly, probably with a greater tip than 10%!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
We were in Middlesbrough a couple of weeks ago (I know, but my son and his mate were playing cricket nearby so we stopped over) and between the derelict buildings and boarded up shops we found a great little bar that did stone baked pizzas.

The seven of us had pizzas and (lots of) drinks and the bill was just over £100. Service had been excellent from the two lads who ran the place but when I attempted to give one of them £15 as a tip he refused it.

"No way man, youse av just spent a hundred quid in heer! No need for that like, put your money away!".

Never experienced that before.

Jul 7, 2003
With my son still fast asleep and having dropped my daughter off to take part in the Worthing Race for Life this morning, what better way to start Fathers Day than with a nice breakfast with Mrs DCH. We considered [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] 's breakfast location of the café at the Dome cinema but the seafront was a bit busy so instead we tried The Orchard Café on High Street Worthing. We walk past this place most Sundays on the way back from the nearby Waitrose and it always looked nice but this was the first time I'd been through the doors.

Nice little café and friendly efficient staff. My wife ordered the full English breakfast. All of the ingredients were well cooked and good quality. Nice to see the baked beans served in a ramakin which means that the sauce doesn't 'bleed' into everything else if you don't want it to.

I fancied something different so went for the American pancake stack. This was pancakes with bacon, sausage, egg and cheese. - you can add syrup if you want. I substituted the cheese for syrup. I was given four lovely thick American style pancakes with a perfectly cooked fried egg on top.

There were three big rashers of streaky bacon which was lovely and thick - no cash and carry cheap bacon here. Two very tasty breakfast sausages also came with this - again, proper sausages. The syrup came on the size in a shot glass so you can add as required.

We also had a pot of breakfast tea. No catering pack of weak and woeful Tetley here. A very nice loose leaf breakfast tea served in a good sized china pot, china cups and sauces and a tea strainer. We got several cups each out of this.

Everything was high quality and good value for money.

This is a great place for a family breakfast with a wide choice including very good vegetarian/vegan options. They even provide games and colouring stuff for families to use while waiting.

This was our first visit but definitely won't be our last.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not quite restaurant but Brighton Street Diner regular Mestiza Filipina have been at the Brooksteed in Worthing all weekend. Sam used to work at 64 Degrees and they recently appeared on tv with Tom Kerridge.

Decided to go for Father’s Day today. £15 for Filipino slow bbq pork rib with rice, bbq veg and pickles. Nice and spicy but not overwhelming. Different to their usual skewers of bbq meat or fish but was so good! Nice touch to include a slice of chocolate brownie topped with a rum syrup (i think) and coconut.

All in all very good and bit different. Think they’ve got some pop ups in restaurant coming up soon. http://mestizafilipina.co.uk/

Washed down with a Brew York APA, Lost Pier APA & Downlands Devils Dyke Salted Caramel Porter!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
With my son still fast asleep and having dropped my daughter off to take part in the Worthing Race for Life this morning, what better way to start Fathers Day than with a nice breakfast with Mrs DCH. We considered [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] 's breakfast location of the café at the Dome cinema but the seafront was a bit busy so instead we tried The Orchard Café on High Street Worthing. We walk past this place most Sundays on the way back from the nearby Waitrose and it always looked nice but this was the first time I'd been through the doors.

Nice little café and friendly efficient staff. My wife ordered the full English breakfast. All of the ingredients were well cooked and good quality. Nice to see the baked beans served in a ramakin which means that the sauce doesn't 'bleed' into everything else if you don't want it to.

I fancied something different so went for the American pancake stack. This was pancakes with bacon, sausage, egg and cheese. - you can add syrup if you want. I substituted the cheese for syrup. I was given four lovely thick American style pancakes with a perfectly cooked fried egg on top.

There were three big rashers of streaky bacon which was lovely and thick - no cash and carry cheap bacon here. Two very tasty breakfast sausages also came with this - again, proper sausages. The syrup came on the size in a shot glass so you can add as required.

We also had a pot of breakfast tea. No catering pack of weak and woeful Tetley here. A very nice loose leaf breakfast tea served in a good sized china pot, china cups and sauces and a tea strainer. We got several cups each out of this.

This is a great place for a family breakfast with a wide choice including very good vegetarian/vegan options. They even provide games and colouring stuff for families to use while waiting.

Will check this out! Apparently Finch down Warwick Street is meant to do a good brunch too, only recently opened

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Went to Market on Western Road last night. Maybe fifth time I’ve been there, always really good tapas and sharing plates a kind of Spanish slightly simpler take on 64 degrees. Never seems to get mentioned in the Brighton top 20 lists but I’d have it as a contender, maybe not right at the top but then it’s not in that price bracket either. Best espresso martinis too.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

The wife and I love Worthing, and often drive down on a sunny Saturday, park up somewhere near the front, (not always easy), then wander down to the cafe at the head of the pier, which is quite pleasant for a bite to eat. Next time perhaps we'll head inland to the Hight Street. I like the sound of those pancakes!

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We were in Middlesbrough a couple of weeks ago (I know, but my son and his mate were playing cricket nearby so we stopped over) and between the derelict buildings and boarded up shops we found a great little bar that did stone baked pizzas.

The seven of us had pizzas and (lots of) drinks and the bill was just over £100. Service had been excellent from the two lads who ran the place but when I attempted to give one of them £15 as a tip he refused it.

"No way man, youse av just spent a hundred quid in heer! No need for that like, put your money away!".

Never experienced that before.

"No way man, youse av just spent a hundred quid you Brighton queers! No need for that like, put your money away"

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
The newly opened Ivy is very impressive but the menu is very odd for a top restaurant, fish cakes,cottage pie and burgers,the meat section did not have a large number of choices which tends to guide you on to the Steaks which as you would expect are costly but no better than the Steak house at Patcham,formally the Black Lion.
The waiter took away the Wine after pouring the first glass and we had to wait some time before he returned,we requested he left the bottle with us after that. I am not happy with the 12 1/2 % service charge particularly when it of course it includes wine which already has a large write up.Okay for special occasions.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Medlar, King's Road, London

I went for an extremely long lunch with some friends, taking advantage of their extremely generous £10 a bottle corkage charge. The service was stunning, even as we deteriorated. The food matched the service, and is the epitome of extremely accomplished, yet solid cooking, and excellent value with it. I had: ajo blanco with smoked eel; duck egg tart with duck heart; guinea fowl; excellent cheeses; and a lemon dessert.
If people like classical French-influenced cooking, without silly price tags, and are up in London, then this is well worth a go.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here