Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridcutt "not focused enough"

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
As I understand it, a player has to put in a transfer request to be able to talk to the buying club. Elliott Bennett did the same two years ago.

From the Secret Footballer:

In reality, a transfer request means very little these days in terms of putting a club under pressure.

But it just keeps the player's name at the head of the queue and may encourage an opening bid or two. That’s it; that’s all it’s used for today. It’s like a game of poker.

A transfer request, however, does still mean one thing. Any player that “hands one in” immediately forfeits any money that his club owe to him in bonuses and wages. But if you don’t ask to leave a club, then you are entitled to every penny that remains outstanding to you.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Thats not my understanding.
As soon as the two clubs agree a fee, the player can speak to the other club, but not until. A transfer request is neither here nor there.

Is correct.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Thats not my understanding.
As soon as the two clubs agree a fee, the player can speak to the other club, but not until. A transfer request is neither here nor there.

That's the official line.

However transfer request is often made after the players agent informs the bidding club that the player would be keen to move.

Technically, a majority deals are technically "tapped up" .

I mean you wouldnt bid and want to be embarrassed when the player says "i dont want to join them" would you?

murky.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
From the Secret Footballer:

In reality, a transfer request means very little these days in terms of putting a club under pressure.

But it just keeps the player's name at the head of the queue and may encourage an opening bid or two. That’s it; that’s all it’s used for today. It’s like a game of poker.

A transfer request, however, does still mean one thing. Any player that “hands one in” immediately forfeits any money that his club owe to him in bonuses and wages. But if you don’t ask to leave a club, then you are entitled to every penny that remains outstanding to you.

Does the fact we rejected Liam's transfer request make any difference?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

However transfer request is often made after the players agent informs the bidding club that the player would be keen to move.

I mean you wouldnt bid and want to be embarrassed when the player says "i dont want to join them" would you?

murky.

So Gus tapping-up Liam is the likely unsavoury bit then?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
From the Secret

Are you sure as I cannot see how legally a club could with hold any wages due. Bonus payments yes but not wages

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

murky.

I don't doubt that tapping up goes on, and that players are encouraged by their agent to hand in a transfer request (probably on the understanding that a juicy signing on fee will comfortably offset whatever loyalty bonus they are sacrificing by handing one in). But plenty of transfers have broken down because a player simply doesn't fancy the move.

Then you get your Barnsleys of this world who DO embarrass themselves when they bid £450, a set of steak knives and an Emmerdale box set for our captain.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Are you sure as I cannot see how legally a club could with hold any wages due. Bonus payments yes but not wages

Ah, but we know that this is the world of football. It's not the real world where the law and sanity prevails. No matter how much the Albion are trying to drag our club and others into that world, illogical things happen.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Surely, if a player leaves, he effectively terminates his contract, therefore payments under remainder of contract forfeited?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A loyalty bonus can be withdrawn, but you certainly don't stop being paid your wages because you've handed in a transfer request.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Anyone considered that Andrews' use of the word 'unsavoury' was just the first word that came to his mind to quickly get across the point that in an ideal world events would have unfolded differently (either appropriate bid received sooner, and Bridcutt gone, or Bridcutt being more professional and buckling down to play while the dealing goes on behind scenes without the swirl of rumour and supposition playing out on social media and in the local press) and that everyone is reading far too much into it?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Anyone considered that Andrews' use of the word 'unsavoury' was just the first word that came to his mind to quickly get across the point that in an ideal world events would have unfolded differently (either appropriate bid received sooner, and Bridcutt gone, or Bridcutt being more professional and buckling down to play while the dealing goes on behind scenes without the swirl of rumour and supposition playing out on social media and in the local press) and that everyone is reading far too much into it?

No.

In that case, he would have said UNFORTUNATE.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Maybe, but I tend to think that 'unsavoury' is a word that one has to select from memory. It's not the first to jump into your head e.g. unfortunate.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Possibly. But was a strong word to pick IMHO.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

It could be simply payment plan. If you work a month in hand, for example, when you leave you'd be owed that last month, or if you're paid monthly and you leave two weeks into the month, etc.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
No.

In that case, he would have said UNFORTUNATE.

And perhaps he meant that, but in the process of the interview had a momentary brain freeze and used the wrong word. It happens. Lots of people, even those who know lots of words, will sometimes misuse them, will struggle to find the word they want and pick one that is similar. Especially in the process of a fast moving or high-pressure/delicate interview where they are desperately trying to be political in their answers.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Also, if I remember correctly, a transfer request forfeits your legal right to claim a sign on fee from your new club, although, of course, the buying club are more than likely to pay you your 15% or so as you forced the move for them with said request.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
And perhaps he meant that, but in the process of the interview had a momentary brain freeze and used the wrong word. It happens. Lots of people, even those who know lots of words, will sometimes misuse them, will struggle to find the word they want and pick one that is similar. Especially in the process of a fast moving interview.

Yep maybe he was eating a boiled sweet at the time and it threw him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here