Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Attacking intent

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Yes. I went to Watford though and that was terrible. (but that wasn't [MENTION=24827]Justice[/MENTION] point. - it was . we've spent badly, aren't any good and look likely to lose most matches)

I went to Watford but I see little improvement in the way we play with the exception of Man U and Fulham at home. The Man U game showed to me the players can do it, I suggest they are being set up not allowed to

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I went to Watford but I see little improvement in the way we play with the exception of Man U and Fulham at home. The Man U game showed to me the players can do it, I suggest they are being set up not allowed to

but what does that actually mean ? Two of our goals against man united were from set pieces. Glenn's goal was similar to 3 or 4 others this season. The defending (in the 2nd half) was no different to the vast majority of our games this season. One big difference. Man United were terrible.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
but what does that actually mean ? Two of our goals against man united were from set pieces. Glenn's goal was similar to 3 or 4 others this season. The defending (in the 2nd half) was no different to the vast majority of our games this season. One big difference. Man United were terrible.

Chailey, any chance of a prediction from you as to where you think we will be in the table on 1 Jan?

It's easy always having the benefit of hindsight to continually be right.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Think you might be in for a long old shift of heroic defending and throwing your body on the line today [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION] :lol:

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Oh come on Jem, we actually attacked them terrible or not.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Chailey, any chance of a prediction from you as to where you think we will be in the table on 1 Jan?
It's easy always having the benefit of hindsight to continually be right.

No idea. Last season though i really only thought we'd be in trouble on the way home from West Brom which was awful. A miserable day.
This year feels fine , so far and i've certainly not changed my mind after Saturday, given that the gap between top and bottom is so big that a safe points total is almost certainly going to be closer to 30 than 40. And we've 14 already. And Cardiff was a one off. (10 men etc).
As for remembering how much ££ we spend (bottom 6 of division), how we did last season (lost a lot of games) , or played last season (a few highlights , lots of defensive displays, a couple of wonder goals - i loved it but lets not get too carried away), is not hindsight. Its just the bleedin obvious.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Of course not. But i'm not seeing a very different season ...yet. And i remember that there were long periods last season without goals, points or well anything. How others are seeing it - of course its up to them/you.
You’re probably right. It’s just that 2nd season is kicking in and I was looking forward to us playing a little more adventurous football. I’ve suspected for a little time now that Chris Hughton knows a little more than me about the game but I do get frustrated with our inability to push on like Saturday.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Nothing can be worse than West Bromwich away last season
I thought we done alright with ten men on Saturday,they struggled to break us down and were resorting to long shots
Only the last 5 minutes let us down and if Izzy had hit that ball a yard further to the right this thread wouldn't have started

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Had Izzy looked up and played a simple pass to Andone who had no players with 3 miles of him he would have been in on goal with just the keeper to beat and everything might be different.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
No idea. Last season though i really only thought we'd be in trouble on the way home from West Brom which was awful. A miserable day.
This year feels fine , so far and i've certainly not changed my mind after Saturday, given that the gap between top and bottom is so big that a safe points total is almost certainly going to be closer to 30 than 40. And we've 14 already. And Cardiff was a one off. (10 men etc).
As for remembering how much ££ we spend (bottom 6 of division), how we did last season (lost a lot of games) , or played last season (a few highlights , lots of defensive displays, a couple of wonder goals - i loved it but lets not get too carried away), is not hindsight. Its just the bleedin obvious.

Thanks for the reply CJ but you didn't answer the question I asked. What do you think our table position will be on Jan 1st?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Did anyone ever hear the story about the football club who sacked their manager because the style of play "was boring" and spent the best part of 35 years regretting it?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Why are you talking about sacking the manager?

Ridiculous :rolleyes:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You’re probably right. It’s just that 2nd season is kicking in and I was looking forward to us playing a little more adventurous football. I’ve suspected for a little time now that Chris Hughton knows a little more than me about the game but I do get frustrated with our inability to push on like Saturday.

My thought is that without the wingers and new signings really having an impact yet, and with Gross and Propper out, Hughton has had little choice but to rely on being defensively solid. I suspect, like last season he is waiting for our offensive players to find their form and we can start to be a bit more adventurous. We have to be a bit patient. Not every player can join a new league and country and simply find their confidence and form from the off. My mojo is that we have room improvement and like last season, we'll still pull results and performances out the bag when we really need them.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Am I the only one that thinks we have less willingness to attack than last season.

I think we look about as potent as we would have done last season had Gross (our best attacking asset) been out injured.

The new signings haven't been an upgrade on what we had, but that's the market we move in I'm afraid, so with Gross out injured I think our point haul and League position is remarkable and of great credit to CH

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Did we set up differently against these sides? The difference tends to be the performance of the opposition and ourselves. If we are at our best, we can have periods of "domination" in the game. But if we are not, then the reality is that we need to be hard to beat to get anything from any game. The same with the opposition - the same for just about every game we won last year.. Our greatest strength is defending as a unit - and we can do that consistently. We are not, yet, a strong attacking team, that is the hope that the new signings since promotion give us. I just don't get why anyone thinks that by leaving more players up the pitch means we would pick up more points. Keeping the ball more effectively when we win it back, absolutely would make a difference, but that's not about attacking intent or defensive instructions. That's about technique, confidence, movement - we are a long way from being able to do that even with everybody fit. Having a set-up that plays to your strengths is what just about every manager, except Fulham, tries to do, and Fulham will be changing their philosophy pretty dramatically in the coming weeks. Wont be as pretty but will pick them up more points and the manager will be lauded for it accordingly..

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Are you prepared to offer any predictions for this season? Leicester game scoreline?

Sorry I’m not sure what you’re getting at here. Being crap or reluctant at predictions stops me from disagreeing about how well or not we are doing this year , or in comparison to previous seasons. Or discussing how I saw a match i went to or saw compared to anyone else.
But FWIW we won’t be in the bottom 3 on Jan 1st. And I think we’ll lose next week. I nearly always think we’ll lose going into a game.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here