Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Boxing Day v Arsenal, trains.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Can anyone advise what the car parks at the ground are like, and which is the easiest to get out of?
I'm assuming it's all awful, but going to bite the bullet and book a space in the least awful.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Can anyone advise what the car parks at the ground are like, and which is the easiest to get out of?
I'm assuming it's all awful, but going to bite the bullet and book a space in the least awful.

The UNI car park is an absolute breeze to get away from in my experience. The Bridge, unless you can literally run straight from the final whistle or are prepared to leave early, is an absolute nightmare and can easily take up to and even over (if the stewards are not around or mess up like for Newcastle a couple of years ago) an hour before you get away from it. Good luck with that!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No intention at all of doing this game.

We have a traditional Boxing Day get together that involves three couples and our kids. I go to games with one of the blokes and his son and the bloke in the other couple hosts the get together, is a Spurs fan and has Sky. Normally it's a feed up and then a kids' disco while the adults try to invent a silly cocktail. This year it'll be food, kids' disco, cocktails and then the match.

However, if Southern cannot be bothered to provide a service then I think we need to go to the PL and ask for Boxing Day to be away in future. They managed it for the Reading game and the shuttle provided from Brighton to Lewes would help out at least.

Drivers and staff would get at least double time. When I lived in Sydney there was nearly a full train service on Christmas Day. I'm sure for some the extra money wouldn't replace time with the family but I bet there's others who'd love the overtime.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I can only assume The match wouldn't be able to go ahead without at least a local train service.
Inconceivable that 30K people are going to get there given that 70/80% don't normally go by car.
There will be a train service regardless of Southerns timetables etc.
Expect it announced pretty soon. Or Barber will email back with a response if someone wants to do the honour.

I'm assuming the same. The club will doubtless be doing it's utmost to try to come to some arrangement with Southern. No need to panic just yet.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Having travelled from the Croydon area for years I can't remember the last time a train ran on Boxing Day so none of this can be a surprise. Bus from Lewes for me.
If this is going to be such an inconvenience it's about time the club said no to home games on Boxing Day as we do for Pride. In this instance I really feel sorry for the away fans.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm assuming the same. The club will doubtless be doing it's utmost to try to come to some arrangement with Southern. No need to panic just yet.

The announcement yesterday seems pretty categoric and final.......and all the extra P&Rs (Pyecombe and Sainsburys) have been set up, so looks like the trains are off.

Disgraceful from Southern if so, but what else to expect from that utter shower of shite. A simple Brighton/Falmer/Lewes shuttle would help massively.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
isnt it normal for there to be no or next to no rail service on boxing day?

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Will be hell, be about 5k left in by 80 mins ! First leavers at half time for this one !

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It is but trains were running for the last Boxing day home game at the Amex.

Not anywhere near a full service though, especially on the mainline. Late kick off isn't helping. Probably excessively costly to put on the service just for two peak times, getting to and getting from the ground!

Probably won't be a full house but I'm sure what the club loses on concession sales they'll make up for with the broadcast money!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The team deserves the support, but fans don't deserve for games to be scheduled in such a ridiculous fashion.

As such, it might not be the worst thing in the world for the ground to be half-full. Surely the commentators could not avoid discussing why, although I guess they'd only go as far as "no trains" and not "no trains at a time our TV network decided to schedule this fixture".

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
Several available in North now, and well over 1,000 seats available around the ground so will be a while before the exchange is triggered, if at all.
Still not on sale to us with Purchase History.

Club really pushing the bronze membership!

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
The team deserves the support, but fans don't deserve for games to be scheduled in such a ridiculous fashion.

As such, it might not be the worst thing in the world for the ground to be half-full. Surely the commentators could not avoid discussing why, although I guess they'd only go as far as "no trains" and not "no trains at a time our TV network decided to schedule this fixture".

The club are happy to take both supporters and TV money however appear to not give a monkies about one of the financial donors. They wouldn't treat a sponsor the way they treat the fans.
Just say no to Boxing Day home fixtures. It really is quite simple.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The club are happy to take both supporters and TV money however appear to not give a monkies about one of the financial donors. They wouldn't treat a sponsor the way they treat the fans.
Just say no to Boxing Day home fixtures. It really is quite simple.

I'm not sure the club have any real choice at all when it comes to being selected for TV fixtures.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
isnt it normal for there to be no or next to no rail service on boxing day?

Here, yes, but as I already posted in other Westernised Christian countries there's pretty much a full service. I lived in an apartment block in Sydney that had a perfect view of the local station, St Leonards. There were trains running regularly on Christmas Day never mind Boxing Day. In France the trains run to a weekday timetable on Christmas Eve and Boxing Day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here