Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridcutt oh dear.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Bridcutt was great for us and allowed Poyet's preferred system to work. He was great at reading the game, strong in the tackle and won a lot of headers for someone so short. People saying he wasn't great for us are re-writing history.

The guy won back to back player of the season for a very good reason, in teams with some great players.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
He was good in a side which dominated possession and played good passing football with confident attacking players and a solid back four.

I love Liam but he definitely shone in part because of the abilities of the other 10 players on the pitch with him. IMO.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It can be unhealthy when managers and players have strong personal attachments with each other. Bridcutt was clearly in awe of Gus, who probably promised the world to him. What Gus has done is limited Bridcutt's potential because he has such a strict role with ridged rules that hinders a players development. It worked well in League One, was predictable in the Championship and a failure in the Prem.

Barnes did the right thing, he moved on to learn how to work with new manager, with different ideas and add to his game, whereas Bridcutt seems to be mollycoddled. The way Bridcutt plodded around the pitch yesterday exposes what Gus has really been teaching him over the years. He should in theory be Sunderlands brightest player.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Bridcutt was poor yesterday for Sunderland, but actually no worse than when he was manouvering his move away from us. I was not sorry to see him go and wouldn't welcome him back. Maybe he no longer has a higher level of motivation or commitment than he showed yesterday, in which case Burke did a cracking bit of business a) in getting rid and b) getting an inflated fee.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Like someone has already mentioned Bridcutt made the right move to the wrong team whereas Barnes made the right move to the right club which favours his type of physical play.

Got to say that I'm really rooting for Burnley this season. Proper team, real fans.

Totally agree, apart form that quite obnoxious self publicist Alastair Campbell.

Hope Burnley stay up. Any club that randomly employs one of the Mitchell brothers as manager must have some street cred!

TNBA

TTF

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Always thought bridcutt was fantastic when the game was in front of him and he could stoke passes around. Also very good in the air for such a small guy. However when he was put under pressure on the ball I often felt he struggled and in the premier league you are not often afforded the time and space you get at this level.

Always like to see our players go on and do well so a shame for him but am sure he will take consolidation that he has played at the top level

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Bridcutt's a lot like Jeff Minton. In the Gory Years at Priestfield Minton stood out as easily the best player in a very poor team. In reality though in a wider context he was actually a shockingly bad footballer. He tried to play in the Championship (with Port Vale) and sunk without trace. He was SO bad he wasn't even able to revive his career with Leyton Orient, then in the fourth tier. I still have very fond memories of him though. (Unlike Bridcutt who can **** RIGHT off with his shit attitude)

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Chelsea told him that in their opinion he would not be able to carve out a career at the highest level. They offered him another year to keep learning. After some loan spells, he fell on his feet at BHA. He was loved here and played every week. He was well paid and he and his wife loved the Brighton area.
Ultimately, he proved to be more immature than most of us imagined. He allowed himself to be seduced by Poyet into thinking that he was good enough for the PL ( he isn't...Chelsea are no fools...they were right ) and the offer of more money turned his head.
He let himself down and he let down a club and a set of fans who gave him everything. He behaved like a spoilt brat over-indulged by a wealthy uncle, whose transparency he couldn't see through.
Poyet is in meltdown. He has been found out and so has Bridcutt.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I never got the bridcutt hype.....always thought what he did he did very, very well but it just wasn't condusive to winning football matches. He's been found out.
As for Barnes - he's an unusual player and in a funny kind of way I'm not surprised he's doing well. He just had something about him despite being only moderately talented.

Not condusive to winning matches! Wow

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Both were brilliant for us , but it proves the massive gap in quality between being good for the Championship and good for the Premier League HUGE !!!!

I personally think we have but only two players in our entire squad who would be good enough for the Prem Dunk and Ince most aren't even good enough for the Championship.
And with that bellend Hyypia there it just made things even worse.
We have a great Manager and Asst Manager now and top Scout.
Get this season over with, stay up and then bin the crap which is 9/10 of the senior squad.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Sure Bridcutt left in a pretty awful manner but people here saying that they didn't rate him must've never seen him play. In the first two seasons at the Amex he was an 8/10 every single game. In those seasons you could count the bad games he had on one hand and still be left with a few fingers spare.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here