Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Words to Sussex by the Sea going up on the big screens!!!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Why not? It's another example of the sterilisation of matchday experience. Massively tin pot.

Just because you don't care there's no need to thumbs down other views.
King Canute. Knees Up Mother Brown and running battles after the game are not coming back.

The choice is between modern style and a bit shit or modern style done well with tradition respected and a good atmosphere...

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Get Steeleye Span to revamp the song!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Famously the 6-0 cup replay at Highbury versus Rotherham in 1960

Wish I was old enough to have been at that game. 'Greatest ever performance by an Albion team' at the time, I believe.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
The club have to announce this though. Ok there are a few thousand that read NSC, but most will be on their match day routine. The club in the pre match fan zone stuff has to keep saying it's a special Sussex by the sea, anthem sing along etc etc words on the screen to help etc. otherwise it won't work!!!

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I just wanted to add, I will be singing this at full voice! I hope everyone gives it a go and doesn't expect it to happen 100% first time. It may take a few matches to perfect. But I'm all for it.

Last edited:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
To those moaning it is tinpot or cringey. STFU and sing your heart out, 20,000 plus Albion fans singing this in harmony should sound amazing. How people see this as a negative I have NO IDEA.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
To those moaning it is tinpot or cringey. STFU and sing your heart out, 20,000 plus Albion fans singing this in harmony should sound amazing. How people see this as a negative I have NO IDEA.

???

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
King Canute. Knees Up Mother Brown and running battles after the game are not coming back.

The choice is between modern style and a bit shit or modern style done well with tradition respected and a good atmosphere...

Bit of a stretch to relate this to a hankering for the 80s and denial of change.

You go ahead and limit the apparent choices and make them sound inevitable if you like - they're not.

Anyway, I was being told not to worry about the suggestion that the opposition song words would go up....

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
An unpopular key factor for me will be whether people can be weaned off clapping. The soldiers didn't clap and it will be infinitely better sung without clapping...
Was sort of hoping that in time (and literally.. in time) it'll be sung with a large number of fans holding scarves aloft, therefore making it impossible to clap along. But that might just be a pipe dream of mine.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Was sort of hoping that in time (and literally.. in time) it'll be sung with a large number of fans holding scarves aloft, therefore making it impossible to clap along. But that might just be a pipe dream of mine.

If a few fans start holding the scarves aloft then it should catch on

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Great stuff. Even more wonderful that it won't take long before the people against it will look like PLONKERS for thinking its a shit idea. Give it a few months.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The original words were sung at Albion matches before Norman Wisdom's version. I know it's a long time ago but I have a clear memory of it being sung when Albion briefly led Burnley (then Div. 1 champions) in the cup tie in 1961. Unfortunately the lead was short-lived so the singing abruptly ended. In those days many fans knew the words of at least the first verse.
And they will do again.

:)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Not just a pipe dream of yours :thumbsup:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Great idea. Should make a real difference to our anthem. Can't wait to hear it.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Won't be long until we have a drummer, Goal music, stupid Goal announcers, blue peter cardboard cut out displays, tame seagulls displays, cheerleaders and American owners trying to make money. The answer is really simple, play well and win games then we get a good vibe. But as people say, the vote won, love to know who voted as most people I have spoken to think it's a crap idea, maybe an age thing as us oldies know the words and we did not have even tv when we were kids, bloody play station Xbox generation. Mr grumpy

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Great stuff. Even more wonderful that it won't take long before the people against it will look like PLONKERS for thinking its a shit idea. Give it a few months.
This. There is no doubt that ultimately it will be brilliant. I'm going scarf aloft full volume belting out today.

My guess is at about 50% take up with enthusiasm.

Some clapping, der derring and "going up to win the cup" is inevitable but hopefully will diminish over time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here