Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
My half marathon training plan for today said "30 minutes at target pace" which forced me into crystalising what that actual was - so I decided on 7 minute miles as that'll bring me home well under my 1 hour 42 pb.

So I set off on my 4.8 mile run with a sub 34 minute time in mind, and got home in 33:06 - which is 6:53.75 minute miles, job done, and I'm pleased and surprised by how quick I was.

If anyone logs their runs on Garmin My user name is Richardamex

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
7 minute miles would be a great time, I'm targeting sub 1 hour 35 so 7:15 minute miles required which will be tough but achievable. Looking to run a half dress rehearsal soon and target sub 1 hour 40 which would break my pb by almost 4 minutes.

That's a great pace to be running at sub 92min for HM. Good luck with your endeavours!

Cheers chaps, it'll be a tall order to keep that pace up, but we'll see where the training plan takes me. I've been running the same circuit consistently between 34 and 35 minutes at an easy pace so hopefully my base level of fitness is there... will probably need to shed a few pounds in the New Year though!

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Ran Ely 10k this morning As my asthma got worse my time drifted and with an icy and windy last mile was pleased to dip under 42 minutes with a time of 41.52(6.43pace) Happy new year fellow runners

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ran Ely 10k this morning As my asthma got worse my time drifted and with an icy and windy last mile was pleased to dip under 42 minutes with a time of 41.52. Happy new year fellow runners

Great time.....well done.

I missed the last NSC outing but injury seems to be on the way out, is there another parkrun meet-up soon ? Was thinking of going to Hove on Saturday anyway....

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Great time.....well done.

I missed the last NSC outing but injury seems to be on the way out, is there another parkrun meet-up soon ? Was thinking of going to Hove on Saturday anyway....

I was considering Park Run Saturday but was going to see how I feel after a knackering festive period.

We have two Saturday home games back to back on the 17th & 24th Jan so maybe then. The 17th would be my preference.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Won't make 17th as on a flight home, and got a longer race on 25th. Might still pop down this week as never done it, only done Haywards Heath which is good fun but not a fast circuit

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Won't make 17th as on a flight home, and got a longer race on 25th. Might still pop down this week as never done it, only done Haywards Heath which is good fun but not a fast circuit

I'll post on here early Saturday morning if I'll be there. What time would you be aiming for?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I run at the Preston Park Parkrun, anyone give that a bash? I ended the year with a slow and disappointing 20:59. I ran a hilly 6k yesterday, but today's run was a poor effort and there is no real reason for it to have been so relatively poor.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
By the way 20.59 would be a dream for some of us.......I am looking for sub 22. Maybe you can pace me round ??!

This time last year I would have been delighted at sub 30 minutes!

The course is very flat, there's a slight hill at the finish, which you nudge round three times, but it's a good course. I'll be heading straight into work afterward, I work opposite Preston Park itself. More than happy to pace you round, I'm heading out for a 10k tomorrow so I was never planning on a blistering Parkrun!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I've signed up for the Eastbourne half and Hastings half - only ran once since half marathon in November so obvious new years' resolution for me...!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This time last year I would have been delighted at sub 30 minutes!

The course is very flat, there's a slight hill at the finish, which you nudge round three times, but it's a good course. I'll be heading straight into work afterward, I work opposite Preston Park itself. More than happy to pace you round, I'm heading out for a 10k tomorrow so I was never planning on a blistering Parkrun!

That's a heck of an improvement, great stuff. Cool, thanks anyway that would be great, will confirm later in the week. You should obviously do what you need to do and I'll try to hang on ! Slow 3 hour run on the Downs for me tomorrow (on a gradual build up), hangover permitting........

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Subject to having a dodgy knee at the moment I plan to do Preston Park tomorrow and Hove Park on Saturday. Weather has got to be better than for last year's NYD run at Preston Park.. Plan to take it fairly easy tomorrow due to combnation of knee/sore head.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Mr consistent has ran 1833 miles this year, 1831 miles last year & 1808 in 2012.
11 full marathons ran in 2014, taking me to 81 marathons.
Also ran 11 marathons in 2013 & 11 in 2012.
Taking 2015 a bit easier, only 10 marathons!

Keep fit, injury free & enjoy your running :clap:

Very good.........about what I did in 2013, but almost nothing (one parkrun !) in 2014 due to various injuries. Hopefully on the way back, got big plans for 2015.....

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
That's a heck of an improvement, great stuff. Cool, thanks anyway that would be great, will confirm later in the week. You should obviously do what you need to do and I'll try to hang on ! Slow 3 hour run on the Downs for me tomorrow (on a gradual build up), hangover permitting........

I enjoy pacing, I am happy to sit in and get you home in a PB. Enjoy your run tomorrow, hangover aside, it seems my plans have actually changed as a result of;

Subject to having a dodgy knee at the moment I plan to do Preston Park tomorrow and Hove Park on Saturday. Weather has got to be better than for last year's NYD run at Preston Park.. Plan to take it fairly easy tomorrow due to combnation of knee/sore head.

I wasn't aware they were running it tomorrow, but now that I am I shall be getting involved to try and put the MISERY of today's failure behind me! Good luck with it [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION], I'll be rocking my Gordon Greer replica home shirt from last season - it serves me well.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I enjoy pacing, I am happy to sit in and get you home in a PB. Enjoy your run tomorrow, hangover aside, it seems my plans have actually changed as a result of;

I wasn't aware they were running it tomorrow, but now that I am I shall be getting involved to try and put the MISERY of today's failure behind me! Good luck with it [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION], I'll be rocking my Gordon Greer replica home shirt from last season - it serves me well.

Looked out for you but did n't see you. Knee and head held up ok. Hove Park tomorrow although forecast looks lousy.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I signed up for Brighton half a while ago but having worked my way up to about 10 miles in October have not done any running since. I swim 2,500 m 3 times a week so I think aerobically I should be fine but I'm a bit worried about not having the mileage in my legs which are frankly knackered.

I was thinking about doing two 5 mile runs a week and one longer run starting at 5 miles and adding a mile on each week getting to 10 in total before the half, does the sound reasonable?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I signed up for Brighton half a while ago but having worked my way up to about 10 miles in October have not done any running since. I swim 2,500 m 3 times a week so I think aerobically I should be fine but I'm a bit worried about not having the mileage in my legs which are frankly knackered.

I was thinking about doing two 5 mile runs a week and one longer run starting at 5 miles and adding a mile on each week getting to 10 in total before the half, does the sound reasonable?

Not unreasonable but depends on your objectives really. If it's just getting round in one piece what you are planning is OK but if you're hoping for a time you need to introduce some speed work to your schedule. 3 runs a week is just about enough (particularly if you are still swimming) but rather than doing all of it at the same pace, do something like one fairly hard ('tempo'), one as intervals and the long one as slow (but sometimes with longer higher speed segments) - ideally 30s to a minute per mile slower than you plan to do the half. Sounds like your base fitness should be pretty good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here