Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Am I right in thinking you clocked 21:15? Only 18 seconds back which is very little. Amazing that only 18 seconds separated all 4 of us so definitely good to have people around you or similar ability.

Nah, I was 22:01.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Hi Guys,
Ok, I want to start running.

I've been going to the gym for 3 months or so. My technique on the treadmill is pretty bad I think, it hurts a bit after a while so I tend to stick to the X-Trainer. I've been doing intervals 40 seconds hard, 80 seconds rest, repeat 7 times. It's hard but I've noticed it gets easier. I'm actually improving my fitness for the first time in forever which feels really great.

I look at people out running with envy, so I'm going to give it a go.

I wanted to ask if you have any tips on how to start running from the very beginning. I have no idea what times/speeds or goals I should be setting myself. How should I measure improvement? What lessons did you learn when you first set out?

Basically, if you have any advice at all, I'd love to hear it.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Good luck to those doing the Brighton 10k tomorrow. Let us know how you get on.

Back down to 20:46 at Hove Park this morning, great conditions (no wind) and less crowded than last week as I guess a lot of people saving themselves for tomorrow.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Hi Guys,

I've been going to the gym for 3 months or so. My technique on the treadmill is pretty bad I think, it hurts a bit after a while so I tend to stick to the X-Trainer. I've been doing intervals 40 seconds hard, 80 seconds rest, repeat 7 times. It's hard but I've noticed it gets easier. I'm actually improving my fitness for the first time in forever which feels really great.

I wanted to ask if you have any tips on how to start running from the very beginning. I have no idea what times/speeds or goals I should be setting myself. How should I measure improvement? What lessons did you learn when you first set out?

Two options I would suggest. firstly there are a number of Couch to 5km guides around on the internet including one run by the NHS . I believe these have been really successful in getting people going.

secondly, almost all running/athletic clubs say they welcome people of all abilities, it's not just about the elite. Certainly when you read their web sites you can get a feel for those that have a more fun/ social element as opposed to purely competitive.

Finally as you say there are lots of experienced runners who post here, more qualified than me, I am sure you'll get some help here, may even be worth reading back through some of the old posts for similar requests for help. Good luck anyway- once you get into running it seems to be addictive!!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I am competing in the Brooks 10k tomorrow, it's my first organised race other than the Parkrun events, and it's my furthest distance. I have set a target of 45 minutes, which I should be able to run. I'm doing it with a friend of mine who is significantly slower over the same distance, but my plan is to stick with him for 8km, and then "sprint" the final 2. We'll see how that particular plan goes... I have a lack of race craft and experience, so events like tomorrow are quite important for me. I'm going to be participating in a lot more running events next year so it's all good experience.

Hi Guys,

I went from nothing to running on a daily basis, it can be done you just need to build yourself up with time. I didn't put any thought into how I was going to step up distance, or anything like that the so guide mentioned by [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] would be worth looking at. My first 5km time was 31:12, in around November of last year and I'm now at sub-20 minutes with steady and consistent work.

I would suggest getting on Google and getting good with the maps function to measure out kilometre distances and be prepared to get yourself out and about every day, with a different route in mind. I would also download Strava for your phone, it's a free app which you can upgrade to Premium membership if you choose (you really don't need to!). It tracks distances and times, as well as "segments", which break down your runs and compare your times with other runners. This will help you with the motivation more than anything else - you'll be running alone but effectively against everyone else with the app who has ever run the same segment.

Get yourself along either to the Hove Park or Preston Park parkruns as well, it's a free event run every Saturday morning, KO 9am. It's a 5k race with all manner of levels of ability. For more structure, join a running club. But if you want to stay casual, I would advise doing as I've done and step it up with time and consistent work. I go for a run most lunch times at work, happily for me there's a shower on my floor. Finally, run early. If you leave your runs until after work or the evening in general, you're less likely to do them. You'll feel much better for getting a run in early, so it's out of the way and you can get on with the rest of your day. Make sure you stretch properly before and after each run, and don't ignore your body. If you need a days rest, take a day.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Two options I would suggest. firstly there are a number of Couch to 5km guides around on the internet including one run by the NHS . I believe these have been really successful in getting people going.

secondly, almost all running/athletic clubs say they welcome people of all abilities, it's not just about the elite. Certainly when you read their web sites you can get a feel for those that have a more fun/ social element as opposed to purely competitive.

Finally as you say there are lots of experienced runners who post here, more qualified than me, I am sure you'll get some help here, may even be worth reading back through some of the old posts for similar requests for help. Good luck anyway- once you get into running it seems to be addictive!!

All of this........C25K programmes and other jog/walk programmes are great, and definitely a club. Don't get too worried about gadgets, garmin, Strava and the like for a few weeks, as these will take over you life once you get into it (you will !). Parkruns also great as suggested - hugely inclusive and for all abilities, and you can just turn up with your barcode and run.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hi Guys,

My tip is to go for a run with the attitude that the slower you run the easier it will be to beat that time next time. The body takes time to adapt. My sister got a pair of trainers, 2 years back, 20 years after she had last run at school. she ran a fast 2 miles straight away. then could not walk normally for a week and did not bother putting them on again. So go in slowly, persevere and enjoy the pain.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The phrase, "walk before you can run" is very relevant with running. There's little point in doing nothing and then BOOM, 5k run. You'll do more harm than good. I would also recommend giving thought to things like your footwear and shirt. It took me quite some time to invest in decent trainers and dedicated running shirts. The nipple chafing is horrendous in football shirts. Either wear a compression shirt underneath, or get yourself some running shirts.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Hi Guys,

Don't expect to enjoy the first half dozen runs as they will probably be painful and you will most likely feel like giving up. It's once you start seeing improvement on both distance and times and the when the runs get easier that you start to enjoy it and catch the bug.

Once you know you're serious invest in good shoes and some kit to help prevent injuries, park run is good fun, vary your runs and join a club.

I hated running at school and through my twenties but a sponsored 10k made me get of my backside and from then on it's replaced recreational drugs as my endorphin highlight.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Don't expect to enjoy the first half dozen runs as they will probably be painful and you will most likely feel like giving up. It's once you start seeing improvement on both distance and times and the when the runs get easier that you start to enjoy it and catch the bug.

Once you know you're serious invest in good shoes and some kit to help prevent injuries, park run is good fun, vary your runs and join a club.

I hated running at school and through my twenties but a sponsored 10k made me get of my backside and from then on it's replaced recreational drugs as my endorphin highlight.

100% this. Was shamed into exercising by a former boss when I was in my mid 30s and 18 stone. Wheezed away for 10 mins on a treadmill. Have done 30-odd marathons and ultras now (none of them quick, I am no racing snake) but truly life changing. The first 10 mins are the worst - whether you are running for 15 mins or 15 hours (I've done both).

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Goodd luck to everyone running the Brooks 10k tomorrow. Hoping for sub 44 so going to start on 7:15/7:20 miles then hit the final 5k hard.
[MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] may see you tomorrow if not enjoy your trip to Everest and I'll look at a park run for December and January for the next NSC races.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
100% this. Was shamed into exercising by a former boss when I was in my mid 30s and 18 stone. Wheezed away for 10 mins on a treadmill. Have done 30-odd marathons and ultras now (none of them quick, I am no racing snake) but truly life changing. The first 10 mins are the worst - whether you are running for 15 mins or 15 hours (I've done both).

Similar to me I was 17 and a half stone on New Year's Day 2 months after my 30th birthday. Something had to change and running seemed far better then cutting out food and booze. I burn 1000 calories in 45 minutes (10k) and I've found running is a passport to eat and drink what you want. In fact it's near impossible to gain weight if you run 20 miles or more a week.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
23.27 at Maldon Prom parkrun today, but first V55-59.

Are any of you on strava? Is it worth starting a North Stand Chat group on there?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Answering my own question.
There's already a group on strava. I've just joined it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Similar to me I was 17 and a half stone on New Year's Day 2 months after my 30th birthday. Something had to change and running seemed far better then cutting out food and booze. I burn 1000 calories in 45 minutes (10k) and I've found running is a passport to eat and drink what you want. In fact it's near impossible to gain weight if you run 20 miles or more a week.

Yup. Hic. :)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

17.5 stone! I can't believe it. I am within 4lbs or 2 kg of my life maximum weight. Strangely my lowest weight has been during times of recreational (more static) drug use. Maybe I should revert to lose half a stone?
Good luck all 10k runners tomorow.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good luck to those doing the Brighton 10k tomorrow. Let us know how you get on.

Back down to 20:46 at Hove Park this morning, great conditions (no wind) and less crowded than last week as I guess a lot of people saving themselves for tomorrow.

Are you doing the Brighton marathon? If so, Looking forward to a 5k challenge next summer post marathon!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here