Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This is going to go on for years.

When does the franchise come up for renewal ?

2021 presumably, Southern cant gurantee their jobs beyond that if they might lose the contract.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Having watched the news tonight (including Grayling at the Tory conference), Southern have made their own incompetence temporarily disappear as it is now ALL about the strike. That's poor from the travelling public's perspective.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
At long last somebody stating the obvious you are not doing your job so in breach of contract and we will terminate your contract. should have happened ages ago.

Quite right.

Southern should have had their contract terminated ages ago. Let them go and play with the traffic in downtown Damascus instead.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Update report: bullet dodged, months on DOO Thameslink trains and I haven't died or even lost a limb.

Why the hell is this dispute still going on, this isn't a safety issue or else the union would never have allowed other trains to go DOO without kicking up a massive stink, it's about jobs and conductors' personal interests and screw the rest of us.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
http://www.rmt.org.uk/news/southern-refuse-offer-of-unconditional-acas-talks/

Shows you gtr have no interest on compromising. They don't care about staff or passengers only the bonus they will get.

last night newspaper had that Southern were asking RMT for talks at ACAS or direct. cant both be true.

that PR has reference that the Scotrail deal be considered, why? its clear that Southern want to agree some terms where 2nd safety person can be temporarily suspended, i dont know if this was ever an issue for Scotrail. it seems that the RMT offer for talks is not unconditional at all, but dependent on changing the terms of what is on offer.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Understand they have been given ultimatum. Accept new contract or lose job. Should have happened ages ago. People will be lining up to take there jobs

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Neither do the union though.

If someone said to me have two grand in your bin and your job is safe for another 5 years with pay rises above inflation each year I'd snap their arm off.

Had that offer been on the table from day one I'm sure it would have been very difficult for them to refuse but they've kept banging this safety drum to the point where even they probably believe it now.

They don't care about staff or passengers only the bonus they will get.

Welcome to the real world!

Both Southern and the RMT have turned this into a willy wanging contest. Unless they lose the franchise then Southern are always going to have the biggest dick.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Understand they have been given ultimatum. Accept new contract or lose job. Should have happened ages ago. People will be lining up to take there jobs

I don't think you've been paying attention to this at all.

Southern aren't recruiting any new people. This is the principle reason why they're cancelling so many trains; very little to do with the industrial action.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Neither do the union though.

If someone said to me have two grand in your bin and your job is safe for another 5 years with pay rises above inflation each year I'd snap their arm off.

Had that offer been on the table from day one I'm sure it would have been very difficult for them to refuse but they've kept banging this safety drum to the point where even they probably believe it now.

Train drivers and conductors are on a fairly decent wage already - better than most. This isn't, nor has ever been, about pay. You might think it is - and good for you if you'd have taken the bribe - for an attempt at a bribe is what this is. But not everyone thinks like that, especially as it has nothing to do with the real issue.

Personally, if I'd have been working for them, no amount of high salary would cater for abuse from customers which the management are encouraging. Why would anyone put up with that, just for doing their job properly?

Both Southern and the RMT have turned this into a willy wanging contest. Unless they lose the franchise then Southern are always going to have the biggest dick.

Agreed. His name is Charles Horton.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Train drivers and conductors are on a fairly decent wage already - better than most. This isn't, nor has ever been, about pay.

I know that it's about safe guarding their jobs. Which they've now done until the end of their term. That said everyone wants to earn more money don't they? Nice little bonus that.

You might think it is - and good for you if you'd have taken the bribe - for an attempt at a bribe is what this is.

As I said what a cracking little bonus that is especially as they've said they'll pay in Jan when everyones a bit skint after Christmas.

But not everyone thinks like that, especially as it has nothing to do with the real issue.

Well tell me what is the real issue then? This thread is 333 pages long and I don't think anyone has been able to answer that question with a credible answer.

Personally, if I'd have been working for them, no amount of high salary would cater for abuse from customers which the management are encouraging. Why would anyone put up with that, just for doing their job properly?

If you work in any customer facing role it's part of the territory I'm afraid. But you are right and I've said this on this thread previously....if it's that bad go work for someone else.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
What kind of perverse company is so far removed from reality that it tries to start a twitter campaign to turn its customers against its own hard-working frontline staff members? Southern/GTR really are beneath contempt. As are the Department for Transport for being complicit in this shameful nonsense.

One that is doing the governments dirty work.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Well the commuters have now raised the full £25,000 for the judicial review fund. I guess the people will be seeing the government and Govia in court now. A staggering fundraising effort, let's hope they get somewhere.

el punal

Well the commuters have now raised the full £25,000 for the judicial review fund. I guess the people will be seeing the government and Govia in court now. A staggering fundraising effort, let's hope they get somewhere.

That's good news. But, please forgive my ignorance here, how would a judicial review work? Would it force the government, DfT, Govia, Southern, and the unions into accepting and implementing its findings or will it be another episode of fudging the issue and bugger anyone that wants a return to a decent transport service?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
New depths plumbed by this toxic franchise on my train tonight. They'd rigged the in-carriage display unit to say that 'Due to a strike by the ticket inspectors and the RMT on 11-13 October blah blah considerable inconvenience blah blah for more info see the Southern website'. Presumably Southern's PR intention was that anyone seeing that message was supposed to give the 'ticket inspector' an earful of abuse. Another example of these nasty fvckers trying to set the travelling public against their own hard-working front line staff. Pathetically tho, the preceding bit of the in-carriage message said that we were 'now approaching Preston Park' when in fact we were now approaching Burgess Hill going in the opposite direction. Total wankers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here