Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Joke That Is The Free Bus Travel Zone

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Mid Wales Pah! You should try West Wales!

Try getting to the matches from mid-Wales!

It's a shame that you don't have a door to door service, but trains from Hassocks seem fairly regular although admittedly it may mean having to walk or bike a couple of miles to the station.

Life isn't always perfect.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Sully, do you frequent the WSU and have "Sully" written on the back of your shirt? If so, remind me never to get in to an argument with you. Actually, don't remind me, because I fear you'd remind me a 100 times!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So a response is only helpful if it agrees with your view rather than the facts.
Can I suggest you write to the club and say that you and a few others dont understand the travel guide and could you therefore have your own Janet and John version. Hopefully that will keep you happy.

So, Einstein, as the travel guide is so simple, can you please explain to me from your Janet and John version what services are included on the matchday ticket that operate in or through the area bounded by West Grinstead, Haywards Heath, Cooksbridge, Plumpton, Hassocks and Henfield (i.e. about half of the area indicated as the free zone). If I'm such a simpleton, I'm sure there'll be loads you can point me to.

Lets see who answers first. You or the Transport Manager.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Sully, do you frequent the WSU and have "Sully" written on the back of your shirt? If so, remind me never to get in to an argument with you. Actually, don't remind me, because I fear you'd remind me a 100 times!

No I don't and I don't have long blond hair either (on the assumption that that Sully still has his locks).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So, Einstein, as the travel guide is so simple, can you please explain to me from your Janet and John version what services are included on the matchday ticket that operate in or through the area bounded by West Grinstead, Haywards Heath, Cooksbridge, Plumpton, Hassocks and Henfield (i.e. about half of the area indicated as the free zone). If I'm such a simpleton, I'm sure there'll be loads you can point me to.

Have you read the travel guide? Does seem to detail which bus services apply, which train routes etc.

http://www.seagulls.co.uk/documents/travel-guide-april14229-1169722.pdf

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Metro buses cover most of the western area mentioned. Compass/Stagecoach cover Henfield so just a matter of sorting a deal with those companies. This shouldnt be difficult as Stage coach already cover the 700. Compass tickets are apparently accepted on B & H and Metro is the same parent company. Plumpton & Robertsbridge are covered by the train from HH to Lewes. I do however agree with you that it should be sorted or the travel subsidy as it is unfair dropped but I am not sure that is possible.

ropey9

Feb 25, 2009
Where is this "free" travel zone? Why did my season ticket increase by £50 in Amex season 2? Oh yeah! that was so I could get "free" travel. Perhaps I should ask for the travel supplement back as it is now "free".

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My reading of this is that the OP is saying that as advertised the service is not available to many , which it should be either available to all in the area or nobody and the club should sort it out.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
That's a perfectly reasonable question and it is easy to see how the confusion arises. The Brighton & Hove Bus & Coach Company is a local bus company. Brighton & Hove City Council are a local transport authority that, amongst other things, subsidises some bus routes with in the city. Both organisations are called, by some people, "Brighton and Hove".

The original poster is being perfectly reasonable to ask the Club to clarify what services are included in the Scheme.

It's obvious that what got most respondents exercised and led to this mini binfest was the unnecessarily overblown and contentious wording of the thread title.

If the OP wanted a reasonable discussion he should've begun in a similar fashion.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
My reading of this is that the OP is saying that as advertised the service is not available to many , which it should be either available to all in the area or nobody and the club should sort it out
How? What if this is beyond the club's influence (entirely feasible), should then no-one be able to travel?

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Why is it relevant how much it costs to get to a free service? The club keep telling me I'm covered by the free bus travel zone, when clearly I'm not. THAT is the point that I keep suggesting that people have missed.

See? You did it again... No one is missing the point as it is not exactly complex. Maybe they think you are whining way too much about something that you could address with a 50p or one pound fare into the free zone. That's the relevance.... But as you missed that point, I guess you're an idiot, right?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Please refer to the travel guide which will provide your answer.

I would refer to one of your many replies which repeat what you have said previously that and I quote " I understand what the travel guide says."

Therefore you already know the answer to your question, and yet are just prolonging this thread by complaining just for the fun of complaining.

If this is bothering you so much and you want to know which buses operate where, can I suggest that you spend the rest of your life having fun on www.traveline.info

Where you can use the planner on their homepage to find routes and times for your travel anywhere in Great Britain, or click on the icons at the top of the journey planning box to find live departures or look up a timetable for buses and trams.

I am sure that this will feel like heaven to you as you can indulge yourself and write as many complaints as you want to the various operates around the country by stating that their details are unclear to a simpleton.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Please refer to the travel guide which will provide your answer.

It doesn't, actually, as the answer is that there aren't any, yet the guide would suggest that there are. It's a bit like saying all ScotRail services within the zone are included.

I would refer to one of your many replies which repeat what you have said previously that and I quote " I understand what the travel guide says."

Therefore you already know the answer to your question, and yet are just prolonging this thread by complaining just for the fun of complaining.

Indeed, I did know the answer when I posed the question this morning as I'd looked into it. I was expecting you to respond as you did without actually answering the question. You have done nothing to help apart from refer to a document that is unclear. There is no fun in complaining, but if the club is going to put out a document saying that something is available and then respond to a question by saying "you're in the free zone" then it's best that the information actually means something. There's no point in publicising a "free zone" when nothing in it is free.

If this is bothering you so much and you want to know which buses operate where, can I suggest that you spend the rest of your life having fun on www.traveline.info

Where you can use the planner on their homepage to find routes and times for your travel anywhere in Great Britain, or click on the icons at the top of the journey planning box to find live departures or look up a timetable for buses and trams.

I am sure that this will feel like heaven to you as you can indulge yourself and write as many complaints as you want to the various operates around the country by stating that their details are unclear to a simpleton.

Not a bad effort, though. The Transport Manager beat you by 9 minutes.

The outcome is that he has said that he will look to review the information being put out and perhaps do away with the green map.

I'd like to thank all of those who extended the thread by going on about how I was moaning and complaining. The bottom line is that the club were putting out information that was misleading and basically incorrect and they are now going to address that.

I have been accused of a lack of comprehension and told to read the travel guide. Well perhaps those so quick to jump down my throat for questioning something that was incorrect can now accept that they were wrong to just keep telling me the guide held all the information I needed. It was wrong. Accept it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here