Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton's WORST PUB World Cup - nominations

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
What's the one before you get to the Queen's Head as you walk up the road to Brighton Station? Never been in but it's always empty, looks pretty basic.

You wouldn't have said that to the old owner, legendary Tommy Farr, Heavyweight champion of Britain and the strongest handshake in Sussex til the day he died

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Good shout, there's nothing quite as classy as a P***ed up hen do "singing" karaoke at 2 in the afternoon on the end of the pier. THIRDED.

I'm sure it's been nominated but special mention for the Wetherspoon's on North Street, it's the most soulless place I've ever had the misfortune of drinking in. I can understand the one on West Street but this one has no real purpose.

the post and Telegraph. If it hasn't already been nominated and seconded, I'll second your nomination.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What's the one before you get to the Queen's Head as you walk up the road to Brighton Station? Never been in but it's always empty, looks pretty basic.

You wouldn't have said that to the old owner, legendary Tommy Farr, Heavyweight champion of Britain and the strongest handshake in Sussex til the day he died

Blimey that's a bit spooky! Did he pass the pub on to his son by any chance? Royal Standard used to be a stopping-off point on racedays. First shining memory of the pub (second shining memory was a screen in the basement showing England World Cup games in the nineties) was the way the probably strongest landlord in Sussex would produce a big old German Steine and challenge you to down it in one. Seeing as how it was weighted with lead, you could barely lift the damn thing off the table, let alone drink the contents :lol:

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
I nominated it way back.

Dougie,Eddie,Pewey and Grant should be ashamed.
Should have bought back the Whitehawk Inn with Billy Packham and made some real money.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
The Jury's Out.

(That's it's name, not me sitting on the fence). Didn't realise it was a bar for the ladies. Just thought it was a dive.

The Marlborough, now that is very much a ladies bar.

Thought it was the P.V (Princess Victoria)? Haven't been over the for a while now, but it was the jury's out previously so may have gone back to the previous name. It was definitely a lesbian pub when it was the PV.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Has anyone actually nominated the Cliftonville yet? I have to walk past it to work at 6.30 every morning - if it was open, it would be populated by weird, sweaty blokes smoking each other's fag ends with their dogs on a string. It never ceases to amaze me how utterly grotty it is.

Oh, and I realise that this post will be utterly irresistible for Ernest to bring up his hilarious and warmly loved long running joke about the place, but hopefully this little caveat will highlight how depressingly dull it is now...I doubt it though!

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Thought it was the P.V (Princess Victoria)? Haven't been over the for a while now, but it was the jury's out previously so may have gone back to the previous name. It was definitely a lesbian pub when it was the PV.

It was really good when it was the PV - it was only the PV for about a year when the people who had the original PV on Upper North Street (that became the Biscuit Factory when they left, and is now Craft) moved it to there - and has been the Jury's Out before and after (has been the Jury's Out again for at least four years now). Has been gay/straight/lesbian/sporty/cocktaily/blokey/chavvy/fancy/beery on an almost seasonally changing basis. No landlord has kept it on for more than a year, it's simply in a dead part of town for passing footfall outside of lunch hour. The pubco gets in idiots from London with big dreams who instantly crash and burn, "high churn of owners" as they say in the trade. Some of the efforts to turn it around have been laughable - one lot a year or two back put up a very serious huge "20% off for police officers" A-board outside (it's opposite John Street) from the day they took over and then wondered why they were empty - whatever one might think about the police, such an A-board doesn't really draw in average punters wanting a relaxed drink/chat!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The Pitcher & Piano is the depressing, soulless, overpriced, hen-night honeypot that I was trying to think of earlier, for what it's worth.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Exactly, drink in their regularly and it does not happen. So it does happen, just not to you.

Poor customer service and often a poor attitude from the staff.

Well, game of opinions I suppose. I go there because the beer is excellent, not for a therapy session from the staff. And it's always packed so they must be doing something right.

joeywortho

Jun 3, 2013
No, I'm not. I don't rate the pub at all.

amazing food, excellent ales changed regularly, good bar staff who dont seem to change much so not jokers, nice old crowd

by all means I get its not gonna be everyones favourite, but to say it could be the worst pub in Brighton is mental

sad about what the exchange has turned to but cant say its terrible
King and Queen pretty vile

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here