Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yep he did, with his third account when he got banned under his Bushy guise. You should select your back up chums more carefully. Anyay, what am I still doing giving your playground bullshit oxygen. I'm outta here. Layaz Playaz.

Oh diddums :flounce: :flounce:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Really ? Happy Birthday on the 17th of August by the way ..... big year this year !

Thank you very much. If you’re around I’ll invite you to my party.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
As an example, any individual can ask to be provided with a copy of ANY data held on them. That's fine if the data is entirely searchable but often data isn't. As an example, we accept orders from customers on handwritten order forms. It contains customer data but for years these have been scanned into a PDF. This is then uploaded to the CRM system. It can't be searched. The regulation takes no account of historical storage of data. It's fine to say moving forwards a company has to store data in a searchable format ( although the costs of changing many systems are prohibitive ) but to apply the regulation to data already held frankly shows the legislators know nothing about what they are legislating about. Either that or they care not that it will cost huge sums for companies to comply.

Its almost like the people making laws do not have to or ever do listern to anything the people want. They are acountable to no one.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We are we are, but it's a mess of our making. We're the ones leaving The EU, not the other way round. What laws and rules, by way of international Treaties being amended, are to be changed and concessions given to be ratified by The EU Parliament and across the 27 other EU member states, to accommodate this reality then and undo the 40+ years? I don't see any of the 27 EU countries screaming that The EU is being unreasonable in regards to their position with us either.

Ireland seems quite vociferous, not directly critical of EU but worried. some of the other countries raised concerns about EU approach, but its sidelined, Poland, Greece, Portugal, another the east Europeans i forget. i recall an insightful article in Guardian near the start outlining the top issues for members, and few of them were in agreement.
one thing i see is the naked politicking in the objections to leaving, as a stick to bash the government with. today Guardian reports of a "climb down" over EU customs union extension, which is then denied. why is that not seen as compromise? down the article it notes EU insders seeing it as realism, so prehaps they are not who we need worry about. i suspect we'll nudge ourselves into leaving with no deal because with May weak, wont want to give in but left with no wriggle room other than to stand by the tied mantra that we voted to leave. and the consequence of that will impact EU members.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
This thread is more f****d up than a spotted Zebra. :facepalm:

Zebra pattern.Great idea for the new EU army!

euzeb.png

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I admitted about 4 months ago to having an old account under the name of Nibble. It's hardly top secret.

Strictly speaking Nibble, 2 1/2 months ago but we know how 'flexible' you remainers are with figures / facts.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Wow. All that over me mentioning I was going for a birthday drink but two days before my birthday. Just what is going on in your lives that something like that gets you so upset? Seriously, give your bloody heads a wobble. Mind boggling.

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Ireland seems quite vociferous, not directly critical of EU but worried. some of the other countries raised concerns about EU approach, but its sidelined, Poland, Greece, Portugal, another the east Europeans i forget. i recall an insightful article in Guardian near the start outlining the top issues for members, and few of them were in agreement.
one thing i see is the naked politicking in the objections to leaving, as a stick to bash the government with. today Guardian reports of a "climb down" over EU customs union extension, which is then denied. why is that not seen as compromise? down the article it notes EU insders seeing it as realism, so prehaps they are not who we need worry about. i suspect we'll nudge ourselves into leaving with no deal because with May weak, wont want to give in but left with no wriggle room other than to stand by the tied mantra that we voted to leave. and the consequence of that will impact EU members.

May boxed herself in with her red lines and is now a prisoner to them and The ERG without any wriggle room. A 'no deal' will hit EU members, but it'll hit us worst - 'Mutually Assured Damage' as The Foreign Affairs Select Committee concluded on the scenario. Irrespective of the Irish issue, you only have to look at Dover/Cheriton to see that any change to the status quo in terms of customs checks, which will be required in a no deal/WTO scenario, is going to cause huge disruption, with no physical space for the infrastructure required, let alone time. A transition only until 2020 was never going to solve this - I shudder to think what things will be like if we leave next March without one.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
May boxed herself in with her red lines and is now a prisoner to them and The ERG without any wriggle room. A 'no deal' will hit EU members, but it'll hit us worst - 'Mutually Assured Damage' as The Foreign Affairs Select concluded on the scenario. Irrespective of the Irish issue, you only have to look at Dover/Cheriton to see that any change to the status quo in terms of customs checks, which will be required in a no deal/WTO scenario, is going to cause huge disruption, with no physical space for the infrastructure required. A transition only until 2020 was never going to solve this - I shudder to think what things will be like if we leave next March without one.

Parliament won't allow a no deal Brexit, its Farage and Mogg's wet dream nothing else

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Parliament won't allow a no deal Brexit, its Farage and Mogg's wet dream nothing else
Indeed. *No deal* means the Government falls, May resigns and we throw all the pieces up in the air with a General Election and see where they land.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Indeed. *No deal* means the Government falls, May resigns and we throw all the pieces up in the air with a General Election and see where they land.

And in two sentences you've summed up why the government's negotiating position is so weak. May herself said that no deal is better than a bad deal. The EU knows that either outcome will bring her government down. And then, as you imply, heaven only knows what will happen.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Indeed.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Unfortunately, and ignoring all the crap on this thread, we are now getting to the serious end of this complete clusterf*** and unless you have sufficient private funds, pensions and healthcare to ride it out, it isn't looking good for anyone :down:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

That's one point of view that doesn't seem to account for why a no deal had occurred. Obviously, the #teameu crew that frequent this thread will blame everything on the UK side after spending months saying we are caving in and ridiculing any concession made by the UK to progress talks. Other options include the EU overplaying their hand thinking we will blink first and miscaluclating. In that scenario I can see the government forced into a corner where a no deal is the only option. They could reasonably argue they have tried their best to facilitate a deal but the EU is mainly at fault and unwilling to meet us half way (unthinkable concept for remoaners obvs). Would the public be more sympathetic to the government or to the EU side and those in parliament seeking to stop Brexit by any means?

Also May could survive or May could resign and a new Tory leader probably a Brexiteer would replace her without a general election that needs a very specific threshold to be triggered.

Still think it far more likely a deal will be done even if it goes to the wire.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here