Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Absolutely gagging for a striker.....

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Agreed. Failed in the prem with Palace and Bournemouth and he is older now. At the moment our main striker. I think he will be a decent option from the bench, but nothing more. We need 2 strikers to stand a chance of staying up.

Failed with Palace? He scored 7 goals in 17 games for them in 2014/15 and helped keep them up. On the back of that Bournemouth paid £4million for him and he scored the winning goal at Stamford Bridge.

He missed most of the first season for Palace in the EPL as he was recovering from an ACL injury.

I agree we would benefit from signing a striker and I'm pretty sure the club is making strenuous efforts in that regard, but running down our existing players before a ball is kicked ain't gonna help.

Ashley Barnes wasn't good enough for League 1 according to some but he's done a fair job for them, including, let it not be forgot, goals home and away against Palace last season.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Failed with Palace? He scored 7 goals in 17 games for them in 2014/15 and helped keep them up. On the back of that Bournemouth paid £4million for him and he scored the winning goal at Stamford Bridge.

He missed most of the first season for Palace in the EPL as he was recovering from an ACL injury.

I agree we would benefit from signing a striker and I'm pretty sure the club is making strenuous efforts in that regard, but running down our existing players before a ball is kicked ain't gonna help.

Ashley Barnes wasn't good enough for League 1 according to some but he's done a fair job for them, including, let it not be forgot, goals home and away against Palace last season.
So scored 1 goal for Bournemouth then?:lolol:
He's to old and slow sadly to get many goals in this division now....

We need more than one striker

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Other problem I can see is there are not that many 10 goal a season PL strikers that have played in the PL that are going t come to us. Having looked at the last seasons stats all the 20 goal plus strikers play now for a top 6 side, those 15 goals plus bar Benteke, Llorente and King are also top 6 sides but we could not afford any of those 3 anyway, 10-15 goals, Defoe went on a free on mental wages, but the rest are also again top 6 sides, bar Vokes and Deeney who again we would not have any chance of getting in.
Next on 9 only one who is likely to be available is Negredo. We could potentially get him in. Scored 9 PL goals last year in a side that created very little.
So we are either going to have to be very lucky with signing a striker who makes a massive break through in the PL or sign someone like Negrado who may well score 10 goals but it will mean we would need others to chip in across the park with some significant numbers.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
It's absolutely blindingly obvious that we need 2 new strikers, only Murray is up to it and then as a sub, still struggling to understand why there was a rush to renew Baldocks contract unless we are thinking we'll be going down?

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Other problem I can see is there are not that many 10 goal a season PL strikers that have played in the PL that are going t come to us. Having looked at the last seasons stats all the 20 goal plus strikers play now for a top 6 side, those 15 goals plus bar Benteke, Llorente and King are also top 6 sides but we could not afford any of those 3 anyway, 10-15 goals, Defoe went on a free on mental wages, but the rest are also again top 6 sides, bar Vokes and Deeney who again we would not have any chance of getting in.
Next on 9 only one who is likely to be available is Negredo. We could potentially get him in. Scored 9 PL goals last year in a side that created very little.
So we are either going to have to be very lucky with signing a striker who makes a massive break through in the PL or sign someone like Negrado who may well score 10 goals but it will mean we would need others to chip in across the park with some significant numbers.
Murray, Hemed and Baldock all have some goals in them at this level. They are all going to play a part this year. Some of them may surprise us as well.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's absolutely blindingly obvious that we need 2 new strikers, only Murray is up to it and then as a sub, still struggling to understand why there was a rush to renew Baldocks contract unless we are thinking we'll be going down?

Bruno says that Baldock is the most technically gifted player at the club.

Spending £10-15m on a striker is quite easy. Spending £10-15m on a good striker is the challenge.

As [MENTION=26802]martin tyler[/MENTION] said, the PL doesn't have many major goalscorers, and they are all at clubs with whom we can't necessarily compete financially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I think we need one main striker to come in as I believe both Murray and Baldock are reliable and Hemed would be an adequate replacement for the odd game. Plus maybe somebody else not to start but just to shore things up a little :thumbsup:

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
It's appalling to be so close to the season and still in this position. I would actually say Izzy Brown is currently our best bet as starting striker if we intend to maintain the formation from our friendlies. Sure he's still developing and hasn't perfected the position (largely due to his versatility resulting in game time in other positions) but he has by far the best attributes out of our current options.

I'm sure Murray can continue to win more than his share of headers and get on the end of balls into the box but as a sole striker he isn't ideally suited to relieving pressure or getting us up the pitch. You can say pretty much the same for Hemed but he's even less suited to how Hughton seems to be setting the side up this year. Big upgrades are needed and while it's great to appreciate our existing players prior contributions we do need to get realistic on the challenge ahead.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Bruno says that Baldock is the most technically gifted player at the club.

Spending £10-15m on a striker is quite easy. Spending £10-15m on a good striker is the challenge.

As [MENTION=26802]martin tyler[/MENTION] said, the PL doesn't have many major goalscorers, and they are all at clubs with whom we can't necessarily compete financially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put in to a bigger context
Only 6 out of 21 players to score 10 or more so not play for a top 6 club.
2 are now at Bournemouth in King and defoe 16 and 15
Benteke - Palace 15
Llorente - Swansea - 15
Deeney and Vokes - 10

Clubs that stayed up
West Ham - Antonio 9
Stoke - Crouch - 7
West Brom - Rondon 8
Southampton - redmond 7

You can throw money at it but who is it you buy?
Negrado is only one close to double figures last year we could get anywhere near.
Bar that we are shopping abroad and will be hoping there is a player there who can be picked up for good money who can chip in with 10 goals but it's going to have to be a squad effort that gets us the goals unless we are fortunate enough to recruit a striker who has an incredible year.
People write off Murray but his PL stats of goals per minute would comfortably put him in around 12-15 goals over a whole season. Not to shabby. Obviously he is a bit older but his game has never been based around pace.
Baldock and Hemed IMO and that's all it is can both get 3-5 goals this year. May not sound a lot but those contributions would be priceless

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

We can sign from continental Europe as well. We probably should NOT be looking at that tiny pool of PL strikers mentioned on this thread.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

True.

No one is saying that we have to buy 2 x £15m to £20m, bought from England alone. There's a wide market out there and we knew we up at Easter.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
We can sign from continental Europe as well. We probably should NOT be looking at that tiny pool of PL strikers mentioned on this thread.

And I'm sure this is where the striker will come from but not 1 player last season who made it to double figures with the exception of ibrihimovic has not had at least 1 full season under their belt. The point I'm trying to make is that there really isn't that many players outside the top 6 who actually get into double figures in the premier league and those that do normally have previous PL experience. Whoever we get in will do bloody well to get 10 goals over the course of the season or a goal every 4 games almost. People will look at that and say it's not enough but that is what we are looking for. I don't dispute we need a forward despite disagreeing with most that our current 3 won't chip in with some important goals as they will but if I were to sign a striker based on those facts I'd be looking at Negrado. Previous PL experience and got close to double figures last year with a relegated team.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I wouldn't be sad to have Negredo, he's an upgrade on Muzza which ticks box number 1, he has PL experience box number 2. His only issue is he didn't do too well at Boro, that is because services was next to non existent, wouldn't be the case here. I'd be happy to have him and a top class CM like Delaney or Neto moulded foreign import.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Like another poster commented, it really does feel like groundhog day when it comes to signing a proper number 9 striker.

We need a Ricky Lambert or Matt le Tissier in his day type of player and is what this squad has been crying out for for for a while now. We have had amazing defence stats and a good midfield for the past few seasons, but it's obvious we fall short in the final 1/3rd. Has been that way since the Gus days.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I wouldn't be sad to have Negredo, he's an upgrade on Muzza which ticks box number 1, he has PL experience box number 2. His only issue is he didn't do too well at Boro, that is because services was next to non existent, wouldn't be the case here. I'd be happy to have him and a top class CM like Delaney or Neto moulded foreign import.

Saying he didn't do well is harsh and this is where I think people will be disappointed. He scored 9 goals which was more than one third of all the goals Middlesbrough scored. Made him joint 5th highest striker outside the top 6 clubs. Problem Middlesbrough had next highest scorer was on 4 as was the next after that all the other scorers scored 1.
Southampton on the other hand had had 7 players scoring 3 or more but their top scorer had just 7.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Amazing isn't it ? Our club has been given a 100 million war chest and we still struggle to bring in a decent striker.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Amazing isn't it ? Our club has been given a 100 million war chest and we still struggle to bring in a decent striker.

Struggling to get the right one in for the right price maybe. I'm sure I sound like a broken record but there really isn't many 10 goal experience PL strikers we could go and get. We could go abroad and try and lure a decent one in. We maybe lucky where we get one in from abroad who really hits the ground running but those stories in recent premier league times seem few and far between. Michu and half season wonder papa cisse spring to mind although the Cisse was not exactly cheap in 2012 or whenever it was at £9.5 million. I have no doubt we will sign someone but I think anyone expecting much better that a 1 goal in 4 game return is going to be very disappointed

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here